Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think things are changing down on Laclede and we will eventually even see that change at 1 N. Grand.  My guess is May is on board with those changes.  The days of doing stuff half a$$ and in a bush league manner are over.  Plans will be implemented for multiple contingencies with clear objectives instead of buzz word tomes that have no clearly stated measurable goal. A self-made billionaire businessman basketball fan is going to have a large say in how SLU operates.  He is going to want it to operate with the same discipline and planning that he operates his businesses with.  If you aren't on board, you will be gone.

If May becomes essentially a puppet of Chaifetz, I am ok with that.  I think May showed he has no real power with the S2 situation, and I think Chaifetz stepped in and saved Goodwin. I don’t think the B School donation was a no-strings-attached thing. But I don’t know how popular that opinion will be. 

I agree though that this program will be run much more seriously with Chaifetz almost like a de facto owner. 

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, dlarry said:

Rumor has it the Bills are going to dominate next year. 

I’m looking forward to an exciting season next year with an entirely new make-up and tons of energy and swagger on the court.

Looking down the road even further, imagine what this team will be like in two years when JG/French are Juniors and CG/Thatch/Pearson are sophomores..... How about another year when JG/French are Seniors?!  If we can sustain that level of recruiting... Oh man.

Don’t blink, our roster could be Elite 8 status in just a few short years....

*Rubs palms together in an excitedly devious motion*

The future is bright.

Spoon-Balls and slu72 like this

4 minutes ago, TheOne said:

I’m looking forward to an exciting season next year with an entirely new make-up and tons of energy and swagger on the court.

Looking down the road even further, imagine what this team will be like in two years when JG/French are Juniors and CG/Thatch/Pearson are sophomores..... How about another year when JG/French are Seniors?!  If we can sustain that level of recruiting... Oh man.

Don’t blink, our roster could be Elite 8 status in just a few short years....

*Rubs palms together in an excitedly devious motion*

The future is bright.

Don't forget about Jacobs

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

If May becomes essentially a puppet of Chaifetz, I am ok with that.  I think May showed he has no real power with the S2 situation, and I think Chaifetz stepped in and saved Goodwin. I don’t think the B School donation was a no-strings-attached thing. But I don’t know how popular that opinion will be. 

I agree though that this program will be run much more seriously with Chaifetz almost like a de facto owner. 

I agree that Chaifetz stepped in to force SLU to reconsider the Goodwin suspension.  But.....

The B-School donation, as all major donations are, was likely the result of a year’s worth of discussion of the terms/uses/naming associated with Chaifetz’s second huge $$ donation, and I highly highly doubt it came with the contingency of “Free Jordan Goodwin”.

That said, you better believe Chaifetz was in JG’s corner.  You KNOW that as soon as the suspensions were released, Chaifetz was on the line with Pestello/May advising them to figure this situation out, or they could be next on the trading block. Chaifetz is an astute leader and was highly aware of the consequences associated with potentially losing our best player - a top 50 recruit - and the impact this could have on our incoming recruiting class and the future of SLU basketball.

Chaifetz knows we are on the verge of a re-birth of SLU basketball and just doubled down on his commitment to SLU - he’s not going to let anyone at SLU get in the way. 

30 minutes ago, TheOne said:

That said, you better believe Chaifetz was in JG’s corner.  You KNOW that as soon as the suspensions were released, Chaifetz was on the line with Pestello/May advising them to figure this situation out, or they could be next on the trading block. Chaifetz is an astute leader and was highly aware of the consequences associated with potentially losing our best player - a top 50 recruit - and the impact this could have on our incoming recruiting class and the future of SLU basketball.

Chaifetz knows we are on the verge of a re-birth of SLU basketball and just doubled down on his commitment to SLU - he’s not going to let anyone at SLU get in the way. 

And the crowd goes wild, this deserves a standing ovation!

5 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-not that I expect anything to happen this off-season, I wonder who CMay has on his list of those he would have interest in if he had to, knowing nothing about their status/background/name/etc, I would guess the guy from Middle TN would merit a look

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Why even bring this up? Ford ain’t bouncing 

-I bring it up because CMay is the current person in the position to fill a coaching vacancy, he should always be prepared in case something happens especially to the most important program in his dept, this is the time of year for coaching changes, it came to my mind and CFord might well be bouncing a bball on a court or his head against a wall in frustration over what might have been this season

35 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Can we take this back to just a "A10 Rumor" thread.  I am just as guilty in taking it off track but please, the S2.0 is over.  Can we move on????

I am following the Old Man's advice.  I hid most posts related to Title IX/Situation 2. 

Looks like the anticipated sacking of Tubby Smith at Memphis is happening.  No wthe speculation turns to Anfernee Hardaway coming on board.  Penny Hardaway.  Hardaway has no collegiate coaching experience and rumor is that he will hire Larry Brown as bench coach. 

5 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Funny thing is Brown was never an Xs and Os guy.  He always had advisors for that.  Now he wants to fill that role on Mamphis.  Unlikely.

Wait a second, Larry Brown was an NBA head coach. If you’re not an X n Os guy in the NBA what else do you do? The GM builds the team. 

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Wait a second, Larry Brown was an NBA head coach. If you’re not an X n Os guy in the NBA what else do you do? The GM builds the team. 

I think the main job of an NBA coach is to keep guys from banging each others spouses/moms, getting them to show up on time, and keeping them sober for the games.

Iggy likes this

9 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Is Corey Tate a legit candidate at Missouri State?

Did Lusk move on or get fired or as an assistant coach?

1 minute ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Fired

Thankyou east side

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Lusk got fired.

I didn't see anything suggesting that he was.

Thank you DeSmet if Corey and Mo St were both interested it would be a bad thing.  I am sticking my head in the sand and repeating Corey will stay with us.

Brown was always known as a player's coach.  He was very young when he took his first HC job and delegated fine tuning to assts.  His MO is to take veteran teams, rearrange depth charts, get the players happy and get more wins.  He's really poor at developing young talent and when left to his own devices his coaching style is pretty antiquated (ask the 04 dream team, what coach messes up a dream team?).  He's always gotten results but in college he played dirty and his NBA coaching record is sporadic, he does have the Pistons title, but again he is good at pointing a veteran squad in the direction, not really teaching and making teams better.  

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Corey is key to Travis’ success here. He will keep him whatever the cost 

Thank you 05 I will sleep better, I read that post and it spiked my blood pressure.