Taj79

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Well, this seems like a big deal:

We were going to see him at Seton Hall, and now we'er going to face him against St. Joe's. Solid power forward who had offers from Illinois, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Temple, DePaul, Rutgers, Memphis, and Rhody. There are already some college basketball writers saying he'll be the best newcomer in the A10 next season. I'd like to pass that memo along to our team and see what they have to say about it, but he is a good player and changes things for St. Joe's quite a bit.

-so they stopped recruiting him, did Schmidt blow up on social media?

brianstl likes this

I think this is an interesting signing because it goes counter to all things St. Joe's has been recently, going all the way back to the Nelson/West years.  Fightin' Phil does not develop traditional big men.  Ahmad Nivens went out not really any better than when he came in.  No pro career either.  CJ Aiken was the same.  Phil's motif has been to take essentially guard-oriented lineups and go from there.  Right now, Funk and Longpre and Oliva shoot from three, not typical fours.  And he is typically slow with traditional bigs.  Isaiah Mills sat on the bench for three years until he cam eout firing threes.  Papa Ndao was another.  Bigs like Pat Calathes and Rob Ferguson were more runners and gunners.  So this signing an dth ekid's development will be interesting to watch.

I think, from just the potential of a 4-star recruit alone, this will likely make folks rethink the preseason rankings in the A10.  Phil is well-loved on the East Coast.  Media live on the east coast.  I suspect the Joeys and Rams will draw all the love when the dust settles with Athlon, Street & Smiths, Collegesports144 and so on.  Gordon I sone thing .. but given the Joey's roster construct, Manual will not only see him, but former four-star recruit Santos and 3.7 star recruit French.  There will be no rest for this kid because no one else on the roster at Haggan can go inside unless Phil resurrects Jai WIlliams.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Well, this seems like a big deal:

We were going to see him at Seton Hall, and now we'er going to face him against St. Joe's. Solid power forward who had offers from Illinois, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Temple, DePaul, Rutgers, Memphis, and Rhody. There are already some college basketball writers saying he'll be the best newcomer in the A10 next season. I'd like to pass that memo along to our team and see what they have to say about it, but he is a good player and changes things for St. Joe's quite a bit.

Pistol,

I see Rivals has him as 3-star. Given Rivals ranks Carte’are as 4-star, is he that big a deal? Under-ranked?

Adman do not get too uptight about the rankings, they may vary to some degree from service to service and they are not exact measurements. If rankings were exact mathematical measurements they would likely be expressed to the fourth decimal value. Like a 3.7899 star player which would then be measurably better (to some degree) than a 3.2114 star player. As you see star rankings are not mathematically precise measures they are comparative measures. If a kid is ranked 4 stars by most services and 3 stars by a single service, he is most likely to play at a 4 star level than a 3 star level.

Taj's post is very true. Excellent players may sign up with coaches whose styles of play are likely not to offer much play time for them. I hope to see the Manuel kid in action next year,  but that depends on his coach to a significant degree. 

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

Carteare will be the newcomer of the year in the A10, but I hope he reads this to see that certain writers might be dissing him.  Don't mind seeing A10 teams landing good recruits.

Last year was probably the weakest since we became members of the A10. The league was ranked 11th behind the Valley & Mid America. By luck we got 3 in the 'Dance'. Unfortunately early exits. I am more then over joyed when the league does well. I believe the hey day of the A10 was that year we had Butler coached by Stevens and VCU coached by Shaka, with us being league champions.

Hopefully, like back then, we can bring back those glory days by our leadership.

16 hours ago, Adman said:

Pistol,

I see Rivals has him as 3-star. Given Rivals ranks Carte’are as 4-star, is he that big a deal? Under-ranked?

Manuel is ranked 200th by 247sports, 121st by Prep Hoops, and 99th by Future150. He isn't in the ESPN Top 100 or the Rivals Top 150.

Gordon is ranked 68th by Rivals, 71st by 247sports, 58th by Prep Hoops, 75th by ESPN, and 31st by Future150.

So yeah, Gordon is still the higher-regarded prospect. I think part of the buzz around this late commitment for St. Joe's is that, as Taj points out, they usually don't have much of an interior presence and this kid has a chance to make an instant impact. Gordon certainly will, as well, but joins what should be a pretty imposing 4-man frontcourt. I haven't watched Manuel enough to say whether he's underrated or not, but he was considered a legit Big East prospect and had some nice offers.

14 hours ago, Pistol said:

Manuel is ranked 200th by 247sports, 121st by Prep Hoops, and 99th by Future150. He isn't in the ESPN Top 100 or the Rivals Top 150.

Gordon is ranked 68th by Rivals, 71st by 247sports, 58th by Prep Hoops, 75th by ESPN, and 31st by Future150.

So yeah, Gordon is still the higher-regarded prospect. I think part of the buzz around this late commitment for St. Joe's is that, as Taj points out, they usually don't have much of an interior presence and this kid has a chance to make an instant impact. Gordon certainly will, as well, but joins what should be a pretty imposing 4-man frontcourt. I haven't watched Manuel enough to say whether he's underrated or not, but he was considered a legit Big East prospect and had some nice offers.

Thanks, Pistol. Great response.

14 hours ago, Pistol said:

What happened with Seton Hall?

9 hours ago, ChangeOfPace said:

What happened with Seton Hall?

He never actually signed his LOI by the mid-May deadline, so there's been speculation that something was up for the last couple months. Seton Hall people are saying he had an academic issue, so I'm not sure what the story is with that and whether it'll be a problem at St. Joe's.

His HS coach indicated that he's more concerned about Seton Hall's depth and wanted bigger minutes right away. He would've been the 4th frontcourt guy at best at Seton Hall behind Nzei, Mamukelashvili, and Thompson, and possibly Obiagu, Gill, and Brodie. Plus, four of these guys have multiple years of eligibility, with only Gill and Nzei as seniors.

It may be a combination of both, but from Manuel's perspective, the second issue is probably the bigger factor.

• 3 weeks later...

Little movement as the summer months draw to a close.  Some of the transfers out of the A10 have finally found landing spots ....

Former Dayton PG John Crosby has picked small college, HBCU Delaware State as his final resting place.  He'll sit out this year and have one year left.  Former St. Joe's pine rider Gerald Blount committed to West Georgia.  he too will sit out the coming year.  Other updates:  Duquesne freshman Nicholas Kratholm to Miami-Dade; Bonnie forward Josh Ayeni to South Alabama; Tre Evans (Fordham) to SW Oklahoma State; Perris Hicks (Fordham) to Cal State - San Marcos;  Malik Hines (Umass) to McNeese State; Marco Krivacevic (Duquesne) to Indiana (Pa.); Tyler Maye (VCU) to SE Community College; and Rayshawn Miller (Umass) to Albany.  Nothing of note and all going down a college level or two in my opinion. 

Our three are placed as we all know (Bishop, Graves and Johnson) but our Greek Freak Markos has not yet found a landing spot. 

Nothing new really coming in since last time.  La Salle picked up Clemson transfer Scott Spencer who played 25+ games in his two years at Clemson doing very little.  Somewhat under the radar was Dayton getting Nebraska transfer Jordy Tsishmanga.  Tsishmanga, listed at 6'11" and 270 pounds, played 31 games in both his first two seasons in Lincoln.  He averaged about 4.5 ppg over those 62 games.  He will of course sit out and while that takes Grant's roster now to 12 scholarship players, three are redshirts and of no use on the court this year.  Grant still has two open offers to fill his last spot ... but I still think the team will be woefully ill-equipped and undermanned to be a factor this year --- or next for that matter.

Otherwise, Davidson is still a man shy of the scholarship limit; Duquesne is two over; most teams are short a spot or two with only us, Fordham, :a Salle and VCU as a full compliment of 13. 

CBFan likes this

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Not a bad list, but I think he puts too much of an emphasis on scoring. I’ll be shocked if Goodwin doesn’t finish in the top-3 of box-score plus/minus, and he really should lead the league.

brianstl likes this

This should clearly demonstrate this writer's belief is that the college game is a guard's game.  Eight out of ten of his top ten are guards, with only Cunnignham and Stockard getting love at the forward spot. The "honorable mention'[ five at least throws French and Grant Golden in but the other three are essentially guards as well in Bess, Jenkins and Brown. 

I really don't understand all of the preseason love for Mason.  I think they will be a good team, but I really have a hard time seeing them contending for the conference championship.  I think they could be around a top 100 team, but to contend for the title they will need to be around a top 40-60 team.  Last season they finished at 220 according to Pomeroy and 194 according to Sagarin.  I know they return everyone  and add the transfer from Virginia, but that is a pretty big leap to make.

7 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

This should clearly demonstrate this writer's belief is that the college game is a guard's game.  Eight out of ten of his top ten are guards, with only Cunnignham and Stockard getting love at the forward spot. The "honorable mention'[ five at least throws French and Grant Golden in but the other three are essentially guards as well in Bess, Jenkins and Brown. 

Or it could just be example of how scarce quality forwards are in college basketball, especially in a league like the A10.  Having really good bigs is what separates the great teams from the good teams.  7 of last seasons Elite Eight teams had a real difference maker in the front court.  Duke had Bagley, K State had Wade, Michigan had Wagner, Florida St had Cofer, Nova had Bridges, Loyola had Krutwig, and Kansas had Azubuike.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Williams wouldn't get PT for us.

Cunningham would be our fourth big

Powell wouldn't start for us.

Gudmundsson wouldn't start for us.

Stockard wouldn't start for us.

I'm just glad he didn't put Golden from Richmond on this list. The long-haired Brett Jolly has no business in the same area code as JGood.

Imagine thinking Javon Bess isn't one of the five best players in the conference.

Imagine thinking Goodwin is only the sixth best player in the conference.

Imagine thinking French isn't the best returning big in the conference.

I pray for the A10

giphy.gif

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm just copying a post from the A10 board on national transfers. Information only, and I did not substantiate.  This was posted Thursday. 

841 announced transfers, about 30 more then last year. It looks like 50% or more of the 841 are eligible to play immediately.

of those transfers I would say 30 max are high level players that would make an impact