Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

Theres a few different threads where I could have posted this, but o well. 

Found this tweet, thought I would share:

"We'd like to align ourselves with the AAC, and we are taking steps to get there." - UMass Football Coach Mark Whipple. #ESPN960

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Theres a few different threads where I could have posted this, but o well. 

Found this tweet, thought I would share:

"We'd like to align ourselves with the AAC, and we are taking steps to get there." - UMass Football Coach Mark Whipple. #ESPN960

Ah, the AAC, the land (conference) of misfits.  Schools spread throughout the country with very little in common.  UMASS would fit right in.

Can you name 10 of the schools quickly, without cheating?

10 minutes ago, bauman said:

Ah, the AAC, the land (conference) of misfits.  Schools spread throughout the country with very little in common.  UMASS would fit right in.

Can you name 10 of the schools quickly, without cheating?

i'm going to try.

uconn

cincinnati

usf

memphis

tulane?

smu 

tulsa

wichita st

thats all i got without looking.....

I should have gotten Temple and Houston. UCF, Navy and they have East Carolina...? They may be the most geographically messed up league, worse than the A10

I'd still give the edge to the WAC as the "pack of strays" conference in terms of programs that can't land anywhere else and are too geographically spread out:

Western Athletic Conference locations

Members: Chicago State, Grand Canyon, UMKC, New Mexico State, Seattle, UT-Rio Grande Valley, Utah Valley, and Cal-State Bakersfield, which is leaving in 2020 to join the Big West (which is all California schools plus Hawaii). I'm guessing they're currently seeking an 8th to replace CSB. Good luck generating a rivalry in that group.

The AAC is a mess, but it at least is primarily made up of schools that are capable of some athletic success. They just happen to be the schools perpetually stuck outside the power conferences. SLU was/is one of these, and the A10 is a more stable landing spot for us until and unless the Big East expands.

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The AAC is a mess, but it at least is primarily made up of schools that are capable of some athletic success. They just happen to be the schools perpetually stuck outside the power conferences. SLU was/is one of these, and the A10 is a more stable landing spot for us until and unless the Big East expands.

That might be more of a real possibility for us after winning the A-10 the next couple of years and winning a few games in the Tournament.  Filling the 2-4 open 2019 scholarships with real high-quality recruits can be key to the continuation of improved Billiken basketball and maybe getting a Beast invite.  I think we have to demonstrate over a few years that we would be able to compete with DePaul/Marquette/Butler /Xavier etc

Richmond has dismissed former A10 Rookie of the Year De'Monte Buckingham.  Buckingham led the team in rebounding (7 rpg)and was third leading scorer last year (12 ppg).  No specifics were given; violation of team rules.

This takes two potential and former starters out of the Spiders lineup that was one of the youngest in the league last year.  Kwan Fore is going grad transfer route or pro.  Still not too bad with Golden, Gilyard and Sherrod returning but hurts big time.  Mooney has had luck with newcomers like Buckingham and Golden.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Richmond has dismissed former A10 Rookie of the Year De'Monte Buckingham.  Buckingham led the team in rebounding (7 rpg)and was third leading scorer last year (12 ppg).  No specifics were given; violation of team rules.

This takes two potential and former starters out of the Spiders lineup that was one of the youngest in the league last year.  Kwan Fore is going grad transfer route or pro.  Still not too bad with Golden, Gilyard and Sherrod returning but hurts big time.  Mooney has had luck with newcomers like Buckingham and Golden.  Time will tell.

My guess: School discipline stemming from an investigation triggered by Title 9.

Confirming what was already said on other thread, Fordham PG Chartouny to Marquette.

In other info, former SLU target Omar Silverio,who had committed to Santa ClaraI believe, decommitted and has now signed with Rhode Island.  So we'll see him over time.  The Bonnies also signed western NY's all-time leading scorer Dominick Welch.  The signing is linked to the fact that the Bonnies now have that section of the state's all time two best scorers and I am assuming that mean the Poyser kid transferring from UNLV.

79 - glad you noticed. Just let me clear things up for you, the other NYS scoring leader and Bonnie was Tim Winn. The Poyser kid that is transferring from UNLV, is an Ontario Canada kid.

Bonnies lost a Guard to transfer because they just signed three 5 Star jackrabbits. Also, lost their best Asst Coach - that one was a shocker.

47 minutes ago, brownindians said:

79 - glad you noticed. Just let me clear things up for you, the other NYS scoring leader and Bonnie was Tim Winn. The Poyser kid that is transferring from UNLV, is an Ontario Canada kid.

Bonnies lost a Guard to transfer because they just signed three 5 Star jackrabbits. Also, lost their best Asst Coach - that one was a shocker.

200w.gif

1 hour ago, brownindians said:

Are you saying that the Bonnies have signed three 5 star recruits - really?

1 hour ago, brownindians said:

That is a strong recruiting class, it appears the A10 might improve 2018-2019.

37 minutes ago, slusam said:

I would almost guarantee they don't have 1 five star recruit let alone 3.

You can eliminate the word "almost" from your post.

Checking in on the SBU website, a/o 4/20 they have three new players coming on board, two prep school additions and one UNLV transfer who is eligible this year.  The transfer, J Poyser is a 6'4" Guard with mediocre stats at UNLV whose signing article said that he needs to improve low shooting percents.  The most recent signee, D Welch is a 6'5" SF, who is the all-time scoring leader in Western NY and shot 50%/38% last yr in prep school.  The other prep signee is K Lofton, a 6'4" PG who only averaged 10 pts/game last year but shot 48%/40%.

Obviously,  brownindians has been smoking some of those funny cigarettes or maybe just hoping for three 5* signees!

brownie ---- are you off your meds again?

brownie's not a bad guy ---- he just likes to stir things up even when he's talking fact.  No 5 star jackrabbit is signing to play in Olean, let alone three of them.  Unless Bugs, Riccochet and Buster still have some eligibility left.  Maybe Jessica will enroll and up the ante for some decency in the Bonnie babes cheerleaders.  Poyser wasn't bad as a sophomore at UNLV ---average just over 10 ppg on a decent team in 27 mpg.  He was an original 4-star recruit.  Emphasis on WAS. 

I'll have to check with my boss, if the guard transfer we're talking about is Izaiah Brockington, that's my boss' nephew.  Schmidt is after seven ...yep SEVEN .... JUCOs.  But only one of them is at a former 3-star level.  brownie does dream big ....... by the way, there is no one named Tim Winn on the roster.  The only other listed NYers on the roster are a walk-on and Ikpeze.

And I'll say it again ..... Schmidt does more with less every year.  Hate his sideline antics but the guy does well.

CBFan likes this

7 hours ago, juniorbill76 said:

Apparently Brownie was speaking historically. Tim Winn, 1996 western NY player of the year, was on the team from 1996-2000.

I wondered that at some point.  While it is nice to brag about having the Mr. BB of a state as a recruit ever we all know how that can really play out - Polk for one example.  I guess the question still is did he really mean to say that the Bonnies have three 5 star recruits  and if he did then who are they.  Somehow I think that would have made national news.

Why would you link a kid in 2018-19 with a guy from 1996-97?  And I guess why would I interpret the link to mean both kids are on the team at the same time?  I guess it localizes the story for the western NY folk.  The stats on ESPN don't even go back far enough to know if and when Winn played for the team. Now, it was interesting he did make the A10 all first team in 1999-2000 as a senior.  I still doubt the Bonnies have signed one five-star kid .... EVER!  But if you're going to tout a story with two kids separated by two decades, I guess brownie can talk cumulative results for five-star signings.  I guess those post-grad five-stars would eb Lanier, Nicholson and (being generous) Adams because the rest of the Bonnies draftees really suck. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Maybe the kid who got the welding degree was a 5 star Parade Magazine Vocational Tech All American.

He would be the only one that was employed after graduation with a degree in welding!

willie likes this

6 hours ago, slu72 said:

And probably making about $80k a year. I hear they're in short supply.

You can make some really good money in the trades right now. Just not enough people going into them.  It will probably remain that way for the foreseeable future.  Too many kids and people look down on them.  Plus, many people fail the drug test.

It is really a shame.  In many trades you can make six figures with overtime right now, get great healthcare and actually get a pension.  You can get all that without having to take on a massive amount of debt to put yourself through college.  

Boss' nephew and former Bonnie guard Brockington transfers to Penn State.  Dayton gets Michigan transfer Ibi Watson,  Both will sit out the coming year.

The Bonnies did get a commitment from 6'8" Power Forward Melkisedek Moreaux, a two-star, ex-pat from Germany.  Syas he can "jump out of the gym" which sounds a lot like how someone can "run the floor" or a blind date with a "great personality."  No way near brownies "f-star jackrabbit" however.

Dayton also got a verbal from two-star SF Frankie Policelli out of New  Hatford, NY, beating out just about every east coast A10 team for him.

Finally Fordham got a verbal from two-star 6'10" Joel ---- which means he'll transfer in about two years.  Umass got a commitment from6'8" Sy Chatman for next year, taking Umass one over the 13-man limit on scholarships.