Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Found this box score.  Heron and Clark 4 for 21.  Dowtin 5 of 7 from deep.  Interesting that both coaches didn't go very deep into their bench.  It looks like both coaches were playing to win.

How come we ain't scrimmaging with anyone? We could do it with the Porter jinxed mid state outfit that won't schedule us. Meet at Lindenwood do it for charity. Or the poacher could suggest doing a real exhibition like they did with KU like they did @ Sprint up in KC. They could surely fill Enterprise for that.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, almaman said:

How come we ain't scrimmaging with anyone? We could do it with the Porter jinxed mid state outfit that won't schedule us. Meet at Lindenwood do it for charity. Or the poacher could suggest doing a real exhibition like they did with KU like they did @ Sprint up in KC. They could surely fill Enterprise for that.

Doing 2 exhibition games instead.

5 hours ago, Cowboy said:

I do find it interesting that the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center would be a named sponsor for a Duquesne facility 

I think that depends on what kind of access and usage of the facility the PMC can get out of the facility for their training programs. The new center has a hydrotherapy facility, lecture areas and conference rooms. It also has ample gymnastics and track facilities as per the renderings. If the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center has or is planning a Physiatry residency or training program, use of these facilities would fit nicely with this kind of program. This is pure speculation, but if this is the case why not become a sponsor (with privileges) of the new facility?

Back to around the A10 ......

It had to happen and the first shoe has dropped --- in previous posts, I noted how Duquesne currently lists 15 guys on scholarship.  Make it 14 as Memphis transfer Leonard Randall II has opted to transfer out of Duquesne now, without ever playing a game.  Randall sat out last year as he did the time required of D1 transfers.  Not sure if he would have mattered much; in two years at Memphis he averaged 1.2 and 5.2 ppg.  Randall is a former three-star recruit who was competing against three freshmen, a walk-on, and additional transfer Tavian Dunn-Martin for starting/playing time.  Dunn-Martin came from Akron with Coach Dambrot; maybe something there. 

The box score above on the Rhodey/Johnnies game is interesting in the fact that it does not list Rhodey four-star recruit Jermaine Harris.  Langevine is a decent role player but I would not expect him to score 23 night in and night out.  Thompson makes for a three-guard lineup what with Russell and Dowtin but without Harris, Rhodey is thin.  Even with Harris, Rhodey is young ---- I doubt Dowtin and Russell will be as good as Adams and Mobley were at Bonaventure last year.  Maybe next year but not this year. 

A10 Talk finished their "Top 25" players list.  Since we argue long and hard about the 'Top 144,' here is the A10's list by team with the number of scholarship players in parenthesis after the team (full compliment is f course 13 scholarship players):

Saint Louis (12): Goodwin (#3), French (#9), Bess (#20) and Gordon (#21).  I expect Mr. Isabell to be motivated.  And Gordon is the only first-year freshman on the list.

St. Joe's (11):  Brown (#8), Kimble (#14) and Funk (#22).  Typical Fightin' Martelli's:  a usual three plus role players.  Can they avoid a third straight injury-bug year?

Mason (12):  Livingstone (#7) and Mar (#19):  A lot is expected of UVA transfer Jared Reuter and I was surprised to not see him here.  Then I thought maybe no transfers.  But VCU's Marcus Evans is here.  I look forward to seeing what Reuter brings.  And I think omitting Jaire Grayer here might be a mistake.  Guy is pretty darn good if you ask me. 

Davidson (11):  Grady (1) andGudmundsson (#13):  For Davidson to rise, these two guys HAVE to stay healthy and make all the other players better.

Rhode Island (11):  Dowtin (6) and Russell (17):  Have to admit that I was somewhat surprised not to see Jermaine Harris on the list.  A lot fo talk about him and now the MIA from the above box score.  Can't help but wonder ....

VCU (13):  Evans (16) and Jenkins (25):  At last check, Evans was still recovering from an Achilles injury plus he sat out a year after following Rhodes from Rice.  And VCU no longer has 4-star recruits since Shaka left so we shall see.

Duquesne (14):  Lewis (12) and Williams (!5):  Mike II made no preseason all-conference teams despite just missing out on a Top Ten ranking.  Think he'll be motivated?

Bonaventure 12):  Stockard (5):  Most of Courtney's pub comes from his March Madness game against UCLA.  I think he's good, but without Mobley and Adams opening up, the interior from the exterior, we shall wait and see. 

Umass (13):   Pipkins (2), Holloway (18) and Pierre (24):  I would think that if this team has no many transfer that are coming eligible --- that it is a 50/50 chance to turn out well.  I really disagree with Holloway's selection here --- guy couldn't stay eligible last year and despite his overwhelming size, his play hasn't matched up to much.  I have reconstituted visions of Melvin "Big Chill" Robinson here.

Dayton (12):  Cunningham (4):  one commenter asked how come there were no other SVU guys on this list?  Well, they suck.  Trey Landers is a role player; Ryan Mikesell comes back from injury and Obadiah Toppin was redshirted and an unknown.  The backcourt of Crutcher and Davis is likely a year away, they have a four-star guard Dwayne Cohill but he IS a freshman and an all-Northeast JUCO transfer in Jhery Matos.  The rest of their bench is sitting in street clothes ala the Billikens two years ago.  Gonna be a long year at the Dayton Decibel Dungeon but they should not be overlooked at least at home.

La Salle (13): Powell (11): No offense intended but La Salle players (Johnson, Galloway, Garland, Wright, etc.) always seem to fall just a little short. 

Richmond (12):  (Golden (10) and Gilyard (23):  frankly, not that impressed with either.  Gilyard is a pesky gnat and I think Golden will get better defensive respect and therefore regress some this year. 

With no players mentioned, GeeDubya (12) and Fordham (13) can expect a dreg of a season.  Surprising omissions?  I vote Isabell, Reuter, Grayer, Harris, Isaac Vann of VCU and LaDarien Griffin of the Bonnies. 

Can't wait!

TheDude and MattyMo213 like this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Back to around the A10 ......

It had to happen and the first shoe has dropped --- in previous posts, I noted how Duquesne currently lists 15 guys on scholarship.  Make it 14 as Memphis transfer Leonard Randall II has opted to transfer out of Duquesne now, without ever playing a game.  Randall sat out last year as he did the time required of D1 transfers.  Not sure if he would have mattered much; in two years at Memphis he averaged 1.2 and 5.2 ppg.  Randall is a former three-star recruit who was competing against three freshmen, a walk-on, and additional transfer Tavian Dunn-Martin for starting/playing time.  Dunn-Martin came from Akron with Coach Dambrot; maybe something there. 

The box score above on the Rhodey/Johnnies game is interesting in the fact that it does not list Rhodey four-star recruit Jermaine Harris.  Langevine is a decent role player but I would not expect him to score 23 night in and night out.  Thompson makes for a three-guard lineup what with Russell and Dowtin but without Harris, Rhodey is thin.  Even with Harris, Rhodey is young ---- I doubt Dowtin and Russell will be as good as Adams and Mobley were at Bonaventure last year.  Maybe next year but not this year. 

A10 Talk finished their "Top 25" players list.  Since we argue long and hard about the 'Top 144,' here is the A10's list by team with the number of scholarship players in parenthesis after the team (full compliment is f course 13 scholarship players):

Saint Louis (12): Goodwin (#3), French (#9), Bess (#20) and Gordon (#21).  I expect Mr. Isabell to be motivated.  And Gordon is the only first-year freshman on the list.

St. Joe's (11):  Brown (#8), Kimble (#14) and Funk (#22).  Typical Fightin' Martelli's:  a usual three plus role players.  Can they avoid a third straight injury-bug year?

Mason (12):  Livingstone (#7) and Mar (#19):  A lot is expected of UVA transfer Jared Reuter and I was surprised to not see him here.  Then I thought maybe no transfers.  But VCU's Marcus Evans is here.  I look forward to seeing what Reuter brings.  And I think omitting Jaire Grayer here might be a mistake.  Guy is pretty darn good if you ask me. 

Davidson (11):  Grady (1) andGudmundsson (#13):  For Davidson to rise, these two guys HAVE to stay healthy and make all the other players better.

Rhode Island (11):  Dowtin (6) and Russell (17):  Have to admit that I was somewhat surprised not to see Jermaine Harris on the list.  A lot fo talk about him and now the MIA from the above box score.  Can't help but wonder ....

VCU (13):  Evans (16) and Jenkins (25):  At last check, Evans was still recovering from an Achilles injury plus he sat out a year after following Rhodes from Rice.  And VCU no longer has 4-star recruits since Shaka left so we shall see.

Duquesne (14):  Lewis (12) and Williams (!5):  Mike II made no preseason all-conference teams despite just missing out on a Top Ten ranking.  Think he'll be motivated?

Bonaventure 12):  Stockard (5):  Most of Courtney's pub comes from his March Madness game against UCLA.  I think he's good, but without Mobley and Adams opening up, the interior from the exterior, we shall wait and see. 

Umass (13):   Pipkins (2), Holloway (18) and Pierre (24):  I would think that if this team has no many transfer that are coming eligible --- that it is a 50/50 chance to turn out well.  I really disagree with Holloway's selection here --- guy couldn't stay eligible last year and despite his overwhelming size, his play hasn't matched up to much.  I have reconstituted visions of Melvin "Big Chill" Robinson here.

Dayton (12):  Cunningham (4):  one commenter asked how come there were no other SVU guys on this list?  Well, they suck.  Trey Landers is a role player; Ryan Mikesell comes back from injury and Obadiah Toppin was redshirted and an unknown.  The backcourt of Crutcher and Davis is likely a year away, they have a four-star guard Dwayne Cohill but he IS a freshman and an all-Northeast JUCO transfer in Jhery Matos.  The rest of their bench is sitting in street clothes ala the Billikens two years ago.  Gonna be a long year at the Dayton Decibel Dungeon but they should not be overlooked at least at home.

La Salle (13): Powell (11): No offense intended but La Salle players (Johnson, Galloway, Garland, Wright, etc.) always seem to fall just a little short. 

Richmond (12):  (Golden (10) and Gilyard (23):  frankly, not that impressed with either.  Gilyard is a pesky gnat and I think Golden will get better defensive respect and therefore regress some this year. 

With no players mentioned, GeeDubya (12) and Fordham (13) can expect a dreg of a season.  Surprising omissions?  I vote Isabell, Reuter, Grayer, Harris, Isaac Vann of VCU and LaDarien Griffin of the Bonnies. 

Can't wait!

-thanks Taj, I appreciate your takes on the conference as you watch more than I do

-if we go by math, we have 4 of the top 25 players, StJ and UMass have 3, 4 is greater than 3 so we should win, good

-I love this - one commenter asked how come there were no other SVU guys on this list?  Well, they suck.

those two should give us 3 Ws. If we aren't 3-0 heading to Jersey we got issues. If we return from East 3-2 we have lot's of work to do. If 5-0 then 8-0 doable bringing us up to the Oregon St game. Sounds nuts but I will be disappointed if   we aren't lossless then. Obviously 3 tough games in first 8 but on paper we are better than all of them.