Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

21 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I think this is the big argument. Is a kid more likely to get a shoe contract after playing a year of ncaa and becoming a household name or being a relative no name in the G league. Is the difference in that shoe contract worth $125k?

Did Kobe, McCrady and Garnett lose shoe contract money by not playing college basketball?

rgbilliken and Coach314 like this

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would assume the g league vision is that getting these great high school players makes them a name league that people will watch.   if that doesnt happen.  the $125k salaries will go away.    well unless the nba is supplementing them in which case the nba will make sure they league has the exposure.  

55 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Did Kobe, McCrady and Garnett lose shoe contract money by not playing college basketball?

Hard to say. It was a different era for sure (20+ years ago) but Kobe was picked 13th overall. What if he had gone to college at Duke, had won an NCAA title and was the first overall pick. I'd think his initial shoe contract would indeed have been much higher.

Much like the NBA wants kids to go to college for a year to get their brand name up so they can sell tickets, I'd think the shoe companies would want the same. Since the shoe companies are already paying these kids anyway, maybe they tell them to go to college for the brand recognition aspect. Or maybe the shoe companies don't want them in college because they feel they can sign them cheaper if they go to the G-League and are relatively anonymous. It's anyone's guess on how this all plays out.

41 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i would assume the g league vision is that getting these great high school players makes them a name league that people will watch.   if that doesnt happen.  the $125k salaries will go away.    well unless the nba is supplementing them in which case the nba will make sure they league has the exposure.  

It could work in raising the profile of the G-League. But the G-League is already a better brand of basketball than college. Put differently, a G-League team would likely beat just about any college team. So it's not so much a matter of better talent in the league but rather name recognized players.

6 hours ago, kshoe said:

It could work in raising the profile of the G-League. But the G-League is already a better brand of basketball than college. Put differently, a G-League team would likely beat just about any college team. So it's not so much a matter of better talent in the league but rather name recognized players.

There will be better talent in the league.  You will have players that would be starting in the NBA if there wasn't the age requirement.  The G league feels like any other minor league now.  It won't feel the like that when the next LeBron or Kobe does their year there.  

Plus, I don't get the worry about players having trouble building their brand in the G League.  The NBA marketing machine will now get a year head start in building up the top prospects.  They will build the players brand better than any college where the focus is on the school's and the coach's brand.

You will get a few kids a year that actually want to have a college experience, but I would be shocked if the number of kids was ever more than five who turned down a G League offer.  My bet is it will probably average at about two a year.  

The fun thing will be to see how top programs try to deal with this.  The G league offers will come well after the signing early signing period.  This could lead to the recruiting classes at places like Duke and Kentucky being basically wiped out. Kentucky right now has two verbal commits for 2019 that would likely get G League offers.

HenryB likes this

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

There will be better talent in the league.  You will have players the would be starting in the NBA if there wasn't the age requirement.  The G league feels like any other minor league now.  It won't feel the like that when the next LeBron or Kobe does their year there.  

Plus, I don't get the worry about players having trouble building their brand in the G League.  The NBA marketing machine will now get a year head start in building up the top prospects.  They will build the players brand better than any college where the focus is on the school's and the coach's brand.

You will get a few kids a year that actually want to have a college experience, but I would be shocked if the number of kids was ever more than five who turned down a G League offer.  My bet is it will probably average at about two a year.  

The fun thing will be to see how top programs try to deal with this.  The G league offers will come well after the signing early signing period.  This could lead to the recruiting classes at places like Duke and Kentucky being basically wiped out. Kentucky right now has two verbal commits for 2019 that would likely get G League offers.

Going from high school to making $125k will be very enticing for some, but I still think the best plan (if you can afford to wait) is to get in a year at Duke/Kentucky etc and then hit the big leagues. 

I'm confused on this. Are G-league teams not NBA team affiliates like AAA and MLB? If a player enters a deal like this, would they be committing to an organization? Then would they not enter the draft the next year? If that's the case this seems like an absolute steal for the NBA and their teams if they can get dudes locked in for $125k and then just pay league minimum and call them up the next year. Someone tell me if I am thinking about this completely wrong?? Or would they still have their massive signing bonuses like they normally do?

Just now, rgbilliken said:

I'm confused on this. Are G-league teams not NBA team affiliates like AAA and MLB? If a player enters a deal like this, would they be committing to an organization? Then would they not enter the draft the next year? If that's the case this seems like an absolute steal for the NBA and their teams if they can get dudes locked in for $125k and then just pay league minimum and call them up the next year. Someone tell me if I am thinking about this completely wrong?? Or would they still have their massive signing bonuses like they normally do?

I know this isn't how NBA / G-League works, but I'm not sure exactly how it works.  I believe that certain teams are affiliates of NBA team(s) and are stocked with players on "two-way" contracts with NBA team(s) along with other players who aren't tied to that NBA team (as would be the case with these $125k contracts).  However, other teams are independent and made up of players who aren't tied to an NBA team as well as players on two-way contracts with an NBA team who doesn't have a G-League affiliate.

Every player has to go through the draft before they can play in the NBA.  Therefore, these $125k guys still go through the draft the following year and aren't just "called up" next year like how it works in baseball.  Players in the G-League who had previously gone through the draft and went undrafted or unsigned can sign an NBA contract at any time, but they aren't really "called" up the same way baseball players are either.  They usually sign a short team deal with a team (NBA has 7 day contracts) and sometimes stick or wind up back in the G-League.

17 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I know this isn't how NBA / G-League works, but I'm not sure exactly how it works.  I believe that certain teams are affiliates of NBA team(s) and are stocked with players on "two-way" contracts with NBA team(s) along with other players who aren't tied to that NBA team (as would be the case with these $125k contracts).  However, other teams are independent and made up of players who aren't tied to an NBA team as well as players on two-way contracts with an NBA team who doesn't have a G-League affiliate.

Every player has to go through the draft before they can play in the NBA.  Therefore, these $125k guys still go through the draft the following year and aren't just "called up" next year like how it works in baseball.  Players in the G-League who had previously gone through the draft and went undrafted or unsigned can sign an NBA contract at any time, but they aren't really "called" up the same way baseball players are either.  They usually sign a short team deal with a team (NBA has 7 day contracts) and sometimes stick or wind up back in the G-League.

Thank you! This makes sooo much more sense than what I was thinking. 

4 hours ago, kshoe said:

I don't know how you can say that G-League has a better brand.  The NCAA March Madness Tournament brings in about a billion dollars (Dr. Evil voice).  If the G-League pulled in even a fraction of that they wouldn't need to have a corporate sponsor in Gatorade or advertise $125k contracts.  They would be able to pay millions and we would be watching G-League on Saturdays and not NCAA hoops.

1 hour ago, Matty Light said:

I don't know how you can say that G-League has a better brand.  The NCAA March Madness Tournament brings in about a billion dollars (Dr. Evil voice).  If the G-League pulled in even a fraction of that they wouldn't need to have a corporate sponsor in Gatorade or advertise $125k contracts.  They would be able to pay millions and we would be watching G-League on Saturdays and not NCAA hoops.

NCAA is a culture after all, though I would see why it's an economic decision if you employed people to do work. Then, they write a bracket for an hour and cost 2.1 billion dollars of losses money in the business. NCAA is a different dynamic than G-League. Though with all the stuff, with colleges now, I would see why this would be an ideal solution. 

1 hour ago, Matty Light said:

Brand of basketball = style of play

Brand = monetary brand. 

I already hate the G League, the Austin Spurs coach is Blake Ahearn.  MoyToy has instructed me to sweep the leg when I inevitably see him in public.

I was thinking G league would hurt JUCO ball as a viable option for guys that aren't collegiate material. 

16 hours ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Not a rumor but wondering if they are going to cover the ductwork?

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So this is way more than a renovation, but a whole reimagining of their athletic facilities. Everything looks great. This is awesome for the conference. Also, this is pretty cool:

The school announced Tuesday that the reimagined 30-year-old arena will be named UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse after former Duquesne basketball player Chuck Cooper. Cooper played for the Dukes from 1947-1950 before becoming the first African-American to be drafted by an NBA team. The Boston Celtics selected Cooper in the second round.

41 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Hmmm, St John's ranked 25 in ESPN poll yesterday. URI must be decent. 

Found this box score.  Heron and Clark 4 for 21.  Dowtin 5 of 7 from deep.  Interesting that both coaches didn't go very deep into their bench.  It looks like both coaches were playing to win.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

-the current configuration has 4,400 capacity and this does appear to be less than that but the article indicates no change, btw the woman sketched into the Hightower Suite has excellent posture 

-I do find it interesting that the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center would be a named sponsor for a Duquesne facility

-I agree any facilities upgrade around the conference is good for all and this does look nice, why not say where you will play next season while the renovation is happening? we have them home and home this season so possible if our common opponents change that we could miss playing next season in the Heinz Junior High School gymnasium 

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-the current configuration has 4,400 capacity and this does appear to be less than that but the article indicates no change, btw the woman sketched into the Hightower Suite has excellent posture 

-I do find it interesting that the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center would be a named sponsor for a Duquesne facility

-I agree any facilities upgrade around the conference is good for all and this does look nice, why not say where you will play next season while the renovation is happening? we have them home and home this season so possible if our common opponents change that we could miss playing next season in the Heinz Junior High School gymnasium 

Also thought UPMC is an interesting corporate sponsor, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do.

There are some options around Pittsburgh for their lease next season. They could play in the Peterson Center (Pitt's main gym) or the Fizgerald Field House on Pitt's campus, which is for volleyball and practice and other stuff. PPG Paints Arena would be expensive and probably not give them the best times, but hey, we basically did the same thing in STL for decades. The UPMC (of course) Events Center is Robert Morris' new home arena beginning next year. I'm not sure they'd want to share it during its inaugural season, though. There's also a minor league hockey arena somewhere in the burbs.

Here in Cincy, UC played last season in NKU's on-campus arena (BB&T Arena). Not ideal being a second tenant to a Horizon League team, but they still drew pretty well and NKU was a gracious host. I need to get to a game at the renovated Fifth Third Arena this season. Looks like it should be great.