Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

59 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Also on A10 talk .... a three-part interview with A10 "newcomers."  The three parts focus on Osun Osunniyi  of St. Bonaventure; Samba Diallo of Umass; and the aforementioned Bynum at St. Joe's.  Osun was a two-star recruit; Bynum and Diallo four-stars although Diallo was injured most of last year.  I can't help but wonder .... why no Carte'Are Gordon or Jermaine Harris of Rhode Island.  Gordon and Harris has national rankings; the three chosen did not.  Hmmm.

Who gives a foock?

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Former SJU Hawk guard Nick Robinson has found a transfer landing spot -- Valparaiso.  So he did get closer to home Chicago.

Not that it matters much in terms of Robinson, St. Joe's or Valpo.  The only reason I note it here is  it's an A10 transfer and a loss to likely one of of our main competitors, and 2) he announced his transfer on June 30 and here he is landed a short ten days later.  Yet our own Jalen Johnson still floats aimlessly out there still.  I am starting to think Jalen didn't have a good plan or drastically overestimated his value.  And if Jalen had thoughts of LSU, they are currently overcommitted by one spot and just about everyone on the roster seems to be a four-star recruit. 

40 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Former SJU Hawk guard Nick Robinson has found a transfer landing spot -- Valparaiso.  So he did get closer to home Chicago.

Not that it matters much in terms of Robinson, St. Joe's or Valpo.  The only reason I note it here is  it's an A10 transfer and a loss to likely one of of our main competitors, and 2) he announced his transfer on June 30 and here he is landed a short ten days later.  Yet our own Jalen Johnson still floats aimlessly out there still.  I am starting to think Jalen didn't have a good plan or drastically overestimated his value.  And if Jalen had thoughts of LSU, they are currently overcommitted by one spot and just about everyone on the roster seems to be a four-star recruit. 

I agree Taj79 with your thoughts about JJ, he could have been a solid contributor off the bench for a NCAA tournament team had he stayed with SLU.

I was a little surprised by JJ's opting to transfer. It was probably due to recognizing his playing time was going to be drastically reduced. Can't fault him for that. A little surprised he didn't have a couple of folks out there bird dogging some schools to see if they'd be interested in his services. Besides LSU there's Tulane, LA Tech, SW Louisiana, and nearby schools in MS and TX. One would think he'd have secured a spot somewhere by now. 

it is my opinion the street agent /relative that whispered in justin johnson's ear he doesnt need slu is wishing he/she had kept their mouth shut.   i believe he will end up at a lower ranked conference and school then had he stayed with slu.   i guess the positive for johnson is that he might end up a featured player at a low D1 school rather than serve backup time at slu.   

31 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

it is my opinion the street agent /relative that whispered in justin johnson's ear he doesnt need slu is wishing he/she had kept their mouth shut.   i believe he will end up at a lower ranked conference and school then had he stayed with slu.   i guess the positive for johnson is that he might end up a featured player at a low D1 school rather than serve backup time at slu.   

Johnson's recruiting since his transfer has been strange.  About a month/month and a half ago, a few SEC staffs and the staff members VT started following him on twitter.  Now with the just the exception of VT,  it appears they have stopped following him.  

In response to slu72 ... Tulane has one spot still open with two open offers to guys likely too highly ranked to sign with Tulane.  New Orleans is not Baton Rouge for Jalen's home fires.  LA Tech also has an open spot but seems to be focused on JUCOs for the most part.  

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Not that I want to get into this at all, but because I think it's deliciously ironic, I want to point out that billiken_roy thinks that initials are disrespecting players but gets their names wrong

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Johnson would be the bottom player on this roster. He played last year out of necessity 

Johnson would've been our best returning outside shooter.  We're going to be very talented, but I'm still fairly worried about our lack of outside shooting especially if Welmer does not return.  Here are the career 3pt %s for our players who have played at the college level:

Foreman - 37.5% (16 total attempts)

Welmer - 37.1%

Wiley - 35.5%

Isabel - 31.6%

Bess - 26.0%

Goodwin - 23.5%

French - 0%

Santos - 0%

I'm expecting Bess, Goodwin, and Isabell to all play major minutes at the 1-3 positions.  Aside from Welmer none of our bigs are outside shooters (despite Foreman's small sample success).  That means a lot of our lineups might feature 5 guys with the best outside shooter hitting at under 32% for their career.

My hope is that:

#1 Ford has worked on shooting with all of the players during the offseason (we know this is the case) and they'll all show a lot of improvement that makes it not much of an issue

#2 Isabel's 34% last year is a better indicator of his ability than his career rate and he can improve on that when some of the pressure is off him as the main scorer.

#3 Goodwin was hampered by some lingering effects of injuries / getting contacts / dealing with S 2.0 and his % will improve dramatically

#4 Welmer is healthy which means we will be able to mix & match having him, Wiley and/or some of the freshmen who are billed as better shooters (Jacobs, Hankton, Thor) on the floor with some of the more seasoned guys and always have 2 or 3 potential shooting threats in the lineup (given #2 & #3 above).

2 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

Not that I want to get into this at all, but because I think it's deliciously ironic, I want to point out that billiken_roy thinks that initials are disrespecting players but gets their names wrong

hes no longer a billiken.   i couldnt care less

NextYearBill and brianstl like this

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Johnson would've been our best returning outside shooter.  We're going to be very talented, but I'm still fairly worried about our lack of outside shooting especially if Welmer does not return.  Here are the career 3pt %s for our players who have played at the college level:

Foreman - 37.5% (16 total attempts)

Welmer - 37.1%

Wiley - 35.5%

Isabel - 31.6%

Bess - 26.0%

Goodwin - 23.5%

French - 0%

Santos - 0%

I'm expecting Bess, Goodwin, and Isabell to all play major minutes at the 1-3 positions.  Aside from Welmer none of our bigs are outside shooters (despite Foreman's small sample success).  That means a lot of our lineups might feature 5 guys with the best outside shooter hitting at under 32% for their career.

My hope is that:

#1 Ford has worked on shooting with all of the players during the offseason (we know this is the case) and they'll all show a lot of improvement that makes it not much of an issue

#2 Isabel's 34% last year is a better indicator of his ability than his career rate and he can improve on that when some of the pressure is off him as the main scorer.

#3 Goodwin was hampered by some lingering effects of injuries / getting contacts / dealing with S 2.0 and his % will improve dramatically

#4 Welmer is healthy which means we will be able to mix & match having him, Wiley and/or some of the freshmen who are billed as better shooters (Jacobs, Hankton, Thor) on the floor with some of the more seasoned guys and always have 2 or 3 potential shooting threats in the lineup (given #2 & #3 above).

Your stats deceive you i believe. While I’m paper jj’s 3’s look great but he never was a play maker. Johnson took open 3’s. He struggled in highly contested games and rarely made plays. I think our GT and incoming players will provide much better scoring options than what he brought. Nice kid though 

34 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Your stats deceive you i believe. While I’m paper jj’s 3’s look great but he never was a play maker. Johnson took open 3’s. He struggled in highly contested games and rarely made plays. I think our GT and incoming players will provide much better scoring options than what he brought. Nice kid though 

JJ hit some big shots and had big games stop the madness with deceptive stats.

2 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

JJ hit some big shots and had big games stop the madness with deceptive stats.

I can't believe TGloryTDays is banging on Johnson. Tell me who on this season's team will better Johnson's 39.4 3FG%. He also hit 43.1% in A10 games.  Who do we have that will replicate that?  Johnson's three pointers look good on paper and looked good during the game.  Johnson was also second on the team in blocks.  He will be missed.

SLU_Lax, CBFan and Zink like this

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I can't believe TGloryTDays is banging on Johnson. Tell me who on this season's team will better Johnson's 39.4 3FG%. He also hit 43.1% in A10 games.  Who do we have that will replicate that?  Johnson's three pointers look good on paper and looked good during the game.  Johnson was also second on the team in blocks.  He will be missed.

"BuT JJ wASnt A EsPN TOp 150 ReCrUit" - Glory Ravs

spongebob.jpg

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

+1000 on the post and the comment

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

This only makes his leaving more confusing. 

Juniorbill76, the world is very large outside of basketball with lots of things happening out there. The A10 warthog has been the  mainstay of close infantry support for decades now, it has been actively used in the middle East and has saved countless lives of soldiers that were pinned down; it has also been the subject of lots of fights between the Air Force, who wants to  eliminate it,and the Congress, who wants to keep it; and the picture you see in there is the picture of a flying warthog.

19 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Juniorbill76, the world is very large outside of basketball with lots of things happening out there. The A10 warthog has been the  mainstay of close infantry support for decades now, it has been actively used in the middle East and has saved countless lives of soldiers that were pinned down; it has also been the subject of lots of fights between the Air Force, who wants to  eliminate it,and the Congress, who wants to keep it; and the picture you see in there is the picture of a flying warthog. 

Guess I should have used blue font.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

this is performance art