2018/19 Discussion/Optimism Thread

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, willie said:

I think Ford had a short leash for DJ this year. Agree with Roy,we became a better team when DJ played. He will play. Santos is the big question for me. 

Agree Foreman made us a better team this year for sure. I think he's the first big off the bench and I think most SLU teams would have Foreman as a surefire starter. The depth of our big men is very impressive. Long gone are the days of John Manning, Brett Jolly, and Tanner Lancona battling it out for minutes.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i will never forget the build up.  hughes had just left for the nba draft and spoon announced he had the new york public league mvp or scoring leader or something spectacular coming in ricky cranford to replace hughes.   the first game, cranford doesnt even get off the bench.  the second exhibition game cranford gets in the game at the end and as soon as he touched the ball he seemed so ackward and non skilled.   i looked at my son and said, "what the hell?"   did he finish the year?   i dont remember.   i just remember he was awful.   thereafter i hesitate hyping any player i have not personally seen and not buying into the publicity we read online etc.   the cranford syndrome is real.  

I was 13 or 14 at the time, but before Hughes left, I remembered think we were going to have such an embarrassment of riches that it would be ridiculous. We'd have Hughes, Justin Love, AND Rickey Cranford. JLove ended up being great, but Cranford, not so much.

55 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

add greg hardin to that list.   wow.  

Well you made me go back and find your post - I guess because it was only one line I must have just skimmed past it.  As you said, Spoon was not someone who liked recruiting and would take the word of others at times.  Ford has seen all these kids play and we have had enough info on them throughout the season that I am not worried about a Cranford situation - I doubt you do either.

1 hour ago, Matty Light said:

I don't even remember Ricky Cranford coming in.  I remember being excited for Love and Tatum coming in as transfers but that was it.

Roy is so right. Thought we were getting Larry Hughes 2 and after the first viewing you knew he was not even close to a D1 player. I think he was gone before the season was over .

I'm pretty comfortable predicting that Pearson will be a better college basketball player than Cranford.

(FWIW, I've also said repeatedly that he probably won't be a star out of the gate, and that he'll need time for strength and conditioning, adjusting to the speed and physicality of the college game, learning Xs and Os, and so forth. Pearson isn't fool's gold.)

Pearson seems to me to be one of those guys that will take a year or two to figure out how to use to talents and body type to create a niche that will allow him to succeed at the collegiate level.  Once he (if he) does that, he will be a star that will be a big part of our success.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i will never forget the build up.  hughes had just left for the nba draft and spoon announced he had the new york public league mvp or scoring leader or something spectacular coming in ricky cranford to replace hughes.   the first game, cranford doesnt even get off the bench.  the second exhibition game cranford gets in the game at the end and as soon as he touched the ball he seemed so ackward and non skilled.   i looked at my son and said, "what the hell?"   did he finish the year?   i dont remember.   i just remember he was awful.   thereafter i hesitate hyping any player i have not personally seen and not buying into the publicity we read online etc.   the cranford syndrome is real.  

I can't recall how long he lasted as a Billiken. He transferred to N.Eastern where he had a pretty good career. I think he avg something like 13 ppg. Needless to say he was not anywhere close to the Legend.

9 hours ago, slu72 said:

I can't recall how long he lasted as a Billiken. He transferred to N.Eastern where he had a pretty good career. I think he avg something like 13 ppg. Needless to say he was not anywhere close to the Legend.

Averaged 16.6 ppg in his lone season at Northeastern:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/charles-cranford-1.html

• 2 weeks later...