CBI?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

Would you want a CBI bid? Would Ford and May want a CBI bid?

why waste the money?    the tourney is self funded by the participating teams buying games more or less.   it is a stupid tourney that has little to no lasting effect imo.   i say get to recruiting asap.   far better utilization of time.  

RiseAndGrind likes this

I always like more Billiken basketball if possible.  If I had to choose, I would want SLU to participate in the CBI or CIT or XYZ every year.

That being said, it probably doesn't make sense financially (will cost more than any earnings from selling game tickets) nor for players (normally you'd want to get a young team some extra playing time / tournament experience, but with out lack of depth it doesn't make sense).  If SLU figures out they break even or better on it and the players want to do it, I'm all for it.

without the use of google, real quick off the top of your head, who won the cbi the last two years?   there is another reason to not waste your time.   nobody knows or cares.   it accomplished nothing.  

2 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

No. A run to the championship would cost roughly 200k. Not worth it. 

actually, if I could guarantee a championship id take it.  Im more worried about playing 2-3 games and losing.  At that point I dont think its worth it. 

13 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

Any chance if we win out and lose in the conference championship we could get an NIT bid? That would put us 19-14

no. RPI is too low. 

The 8th seeds last year(lowest seeds) 

UNCG 25-9     - won conf regular season

CSU BAKERSFIELD 22-9    - won conf regular season

UC Irvine 21-14    -  won conf regular season

South Dakota 22-11   

4 minutes ago, ARon said:

Just curious but where does that number come from?

Each game hosted basically has an entry fee. It is somewhere between 40-50k each game for the first two rounds and then 75k for the semifinal and final games. There is some revenue coming back in the form of ticket sales, but very rarely does a school make money on it. It has to be seen as an investment in a young team or as a reward for something. 

I expect next year to be a tournament team, but that is the kind of team I would say benefits from the CBI experience. 

25 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

Any chance if we win out and lose in the conference championship we could get an NIT bid? That would put us 19-14

our current rpi is mid 130's.  we are not going to get to the low 80's going 4-1 with a loss in the a-10 championship.   low 80's is the likely at large nit spots cut off.  

15 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Each game hosted basically has an entry fee. It is somewhere between 40-50k each game for the first two rounds and then 75k for the semifinal and final games. There is some revenue coming back in the form of ticket sales, but very rarely does a school make money on it. It has to be seen as an investment in a young team or as a reward for something. 

I expect next year to be a tournament team, but that is the kind of team I would say benefits from the CBI experience. 

I would say no, but The Gazelle Group might be able to sweeten the pot enough for us if they want us in the tournament.  If they would offer a spot in the Legends Classic next season, it would be worth considering.  If they still ran the CBE HOF Classic, that would be a no brainer.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I would say no, but The Gazelle Group might be able to sweeten the pot enough for us if they want us in the tournament.  If they would offer a spot in the Legends Classic next season, it would be worth considering.  If they still ran the CBE HOF Classic, that would be a no brainer.

I agree something should be done to sweeten it, but the Legends is filled up. 

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Has that ever been confirmed by anyone besides Rothstein?

Chris Dobbertean from SBNation keeps track.  Dont know how its verified, but hes normally pretty accurate. https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017/11/27/16671208/2018-19-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving if interested

33 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

our current rpi is mid 130's.  we are not going to get to the low 80's going 4-1 with a loss in the a-10 championship.   low 80's is the likely at large nit spots cut off.  

doesn't NIT factor in potential draw from home teams in the early rounds, which might trump a bit RPI?