Baseball

RiseAndGrind

Got a W over Davidson yesterday. Had to after dropping first two. 

Our conference record is now 14-3 with a series at StB and home vs GW left. StB is 5-11 in conference and GW 11-7.

Davidson is 14-6 with a series at home vs. Dayton who is 6-11 in A10.

So, if we finish these last two series 4-2 or better, no matter what Davidson does, we're in the clear and get the 1 seed.

Also of note, @billikenfan05 's observation of adorable dogs in attendance continues to prove true. At least 4 yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/college-baseballs-coaching-carousel-50-names-to-watch/

We can’t lose Darin!  I hope the powers that be lock him down for a really really long time.  

He honestly deserves a lifetime contract for whatever number he desires(within reason) he’s done so much with so little support here.

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

He honestly deserves a lifetime contract for whatever number he desires(within reason) he’s done so much with so little support here.

It’s the lack of support which will eventually get him to have to go somewhere else. I know he loves it here but you can’t fault a guy who wants more.   I’m just worried the administration doesn’t see the problem.

1 hour ago, DirtyRican said:

It’s the lack of support which will eventually get him to have to go somewhere else. I know he loves it here but you can’t fault a guy who wants more.   I’m just worried the administration doesn’t see the problem.

They see it, they just don't have the money. It's not complicated, if you want to help, write a check. They'd like to build a stadium, just need a few million. Unfortunately, this isn't the only project on the drawing board. By the way, the new infield cost half a million. Only another half million plus and they can finish the outfield.

I'm also told, although I have no way to prove it, that our baseball facilities are among the best in the A-10. Have no idea if it is true.

HoosierPal likes this

27 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

They see it, they just don't have the money. It's not complicated, if you want to help, write a check. They'd like to build a stadium, just need a few million. Unfortunately, this isn't the only project on the drawing board. By the way, the new infield cost half a million. Only another half million plus and they can finish the outfield.

I'm also told, although I have no way to prove it, that our baseball facilities are among the best in the A-10. Have no idea if it is true.

We get it. How many times are you going to beat this bullsh!t response into the ground. Our baseball facilities are worse than 90% of NCAA division 1 programs. Lindenwood has a better facility.

It is the Athletic Departments job to put forth a plan for improvement and market that idea for donations 

DirtyRican and Billy Ken like this

33 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

m also told, although I have no way to prove it, that our baseball facilities are among the best in the A-10. Have no idea if it is true.

Sounds like the ol “she has a great personality” response. 

DirtyRican likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 fan said:

That's problem at SLU, they can't figure out what local area high schools can already have done and still do. Drive to Chaminade and then post about how hard it is to raise money. If that isn't good enough I'll give 10 more example just in high school, we can leave Maryville and Lindenwood out for now. Baseball coach is winningest coach in program and has performed miracles with that crappy set up, even with turf field is a dump. 

-It makes sense to me that in order to improve facilities or give raises to coaches or fully fund other sports programs it takes money/donations, the U did itself no favors last year in how S2 was handled as I would be shocked if that had no negative impact on ADept fundraising, many on here indicated they will no longer purchase tickets so even less money, I have no idea of the finances of the ADept but guess if they had the money many things on here we ask for/complain about would be done

-why leave it to the ADept that some think can't handle it? are the baseball alumns putting together their own fund raising/making their own donations to be earmarked specifically for that program and how it will be spent with no corresponding reduction in other funding?

billiken_roy likes this

6 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-why leave it to the ADept that some think can't handle it? are the baseball alumns putting together their own fund raising/making their own donations to be earmarked specifically for that program and how it will be spent with no corresponding reduction in other funding?

This is bananas. To think that Darrin Hendrickson and the baseball alumni haven’t been doing all they can to upgrade the facilities. Darin has almost single handedly raised the funds for the recent facility upgrades.

DirtyRican likes this

2 hours ago, slu72 fan said:

Thanks for the heads up bro.

29 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-It makes sense to me that in order to improve facilities or give raises to coaches or fully fund other sports programs it takes money/donations, the U did itself no favors last year in how S2 was handled as I would be shocked if that had no negative impact on ADept fundraising, many on here indicated they will no longer purchase tickets so even less money, I have no idea of the finances of the ADept but guess if they had the money many things on here we ask for/complain about would be done

I can tell you a good chunk of the funds used for the improvements since Darin has been there have come from baseball alums. 

Littlebill likes this

22 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

I can tell you a good chunk of the funds used for the improvements since Darin has been there have come from baseball alums. 

Out of curiosity, how is the new building next to the field/what is all in it? I remember it went up quick. 

since we have a few sports department budgeting geniuses with us, i thought it would be interesting to post this article detailing what it sounds like is the like baseball facility you all want.

now if you could explain how that will happen and then also detail how we will actually fill the stadium with fans on a regular basis.   i will hang up and listen.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-baseball/article110131222.html 

18 minutes ago, BourbanStreet said:

Out of curiosity, how is the new building next to the field/what is all in it? I remember it went up quick. 

From the last time I was in there it has 2 or 3 batting cages, decent locker room with TV and videogames (nothing close to basketball though), small treatment/rehab area, fridge with drinks and snacks.  

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

since we have a few sports department budgeting geniuses with us, i thought it would be interesting to post this article detailing what it sounds like is the like baseball facility you all want.

now if you could explain how that will happen and then also detail how we will actually fill the stadium with fans on a regular basis.   i will hang up and listen.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-baseball/article110131222.html 

Roy with all due respect, this is ridiculous What I’ve said and I think I can speak for almost all of the reasonable baseball followers is for a minimum of 500 stadium seats with backs and a permanent concession stand. Once you have that you open yourself up to charge a small admission. I think that is a reasonable expectation of a division 1 baseball program. Don’t you? 

dlarry likes this

6 minutes ago, BuiltFordBills said:

From the last time I was in there it has 2 or 3 batting cages, decent locker room with TV and videogames (nothing close to basketball though), small treatment/rehab area, fridge with drinks and snacks.  

Ah thanks. Obviously not on par with aforementioned schools, but definitely a step in the right direction. I was just stoked it went up because it meant that men's xc/track finally had a locker room in Chaifetz and could stop using the Men's staff locker room.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Straw man....

I think this is what people have in mind. Something more like the baseball field at Evansville.

b894cd4e46f88c4e2d616dd9252340a2.jpg

Something more professional, yet plausible, and able to be expanded upon. 1200 seats is probably too many, but this has been done on a smaller scale as well.

Hell, the stadium over at Lindenwood (http://lindenlink.com/2015/09/02/lu-to-host-2016-conference-baseball-tournament/) is nice as well and I think the posts above would be content with this.

billikenfan05 likes this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Roy with all due respect, this is ridiculous What I’ve said and I think I can speak for almost all of the reasonable baseball followers is for a minimum of 500 stadium seats with backs and a permanent concession stand. Once you have that you open yourself up to charge a small admission. I think that is a reasonable expectation of a division 1 baseball program. Don’t you? 

ever been to a slu baseball game with 500 fans?

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Come on. No one wants a 5000 seat stadium. 

I think most people agree that a field with some permanent structure would be a nice start. Something along the lines of what a low level D1 school like Eastern Illinois has...https://eiupanthers.com/sports/2007/6/25/coaches stadium.aspx?id=19

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

ever been to a slu baseball game with 500 fans?

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. 

It wouldn't be unreasonable to draw 500 people to a baseball game. But in the current condition, who wants to go traipse up a bunch of metal bleachers like a little league game?