Welcome Demarius Jacobs!

gobillsgo

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I said before that I didn’t think S2 would be a big problem. What we experienced is happening everywhere and if not then it is only a question of when.  Playing time is a key enticement and for guards we got that.  In a another year if we play well in 2018-19 it will all be a blimp in the past  

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

off a David Kvidahl www.stltoday.com article when Jacobs’ team, played Webster Groves in December 2016:

"The Titans were paced by SIU signee Denmarius Jacobs. He had 32 points, nine rebounds and five highlight reel blocks that displayed the freakish athleticism that made him such a sought after recruit."

I was there last year.  He was one of the best players on the court.  Good pickup by Ford & Crew.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

17 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I said before that I didn’t think S2 would be a big problem. What we experienced is happening everywhere and if not then it is only a question of when.  Playing time is a key enticement and for guards we got that.  In a another year if we play well in 2018-19 it will all be a blimp in the past  

Ford was getting top 100 players before S2.  Jacobs appears to be a nice player but he isn't a Goodwin/French/Gordon level player.   

That is where s2 will be used against us by top level programs as Ford tries to get the,Liddell like recruit.   The opposing programs are gonna negative recruit the heck out of us.  

And don't feel all smug about Goodwin, Gordon, our existing roster, etc. Either.   Ford will do what he can but I think slu has horribly shot themselves in the foot and I'll be surprised if the 3 departed remains our only casualties.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

Ford was getting top 100 players before S2.  Jacobs appears to be a nice player but he isn't a Goodwin/French/Gordon level player.   

That is where s2 will be used against us by top level programs as Ford tries to get the,Liddell like recruit.   The opposing programs are gonna negative recruit the heck out of us.  

And don't feel all smug about Goodwin, Gordon, our existing roster, etc. Either.   Ford will do what he can but I think slu has horribly shot themselves in the foot and I'll be surprised if the 3 departed remains our only casualties.

2 things:

1. Are there any Goodwin-level players available for 18-19?

2. The looming FBI investigation will be a much bigger weapon on the recruiting trail than S2 and the former will be something we can utilize to our advantage.

willie likes this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

First, we’re in late February and recruiting for this year’s class. Obviously Ramey’s still out there, but in general, many top players are committed and any player uncommitted becomes a hotter commodity. Not a ton of Goodwin, Gordon, and French caliber players out there.

I agree with you that I’m still concerned about negative recruiting that we’ll face. Whether it comes directly from coaches of other teams, or AAU/high school coaches, I think most African-American players we recruit will hear “You can’t go there...if you look at a white girl, they’ll throw you out of school.” I hope the Jacobs commitment is some evidence of it being less of a factor than I fear.

8 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

2 things:

1. Are there any Goodwin-level players available for 18-19?

2. The looming FBI investigation will be a much bigger weapon on the recruiting trail than S2 and the former will be something we can utilize to our advantage.

I agree with point number 2. I think this will have a huge impact on all college recruiting but should help the SLU’s of the world. At the very least it will take some of the money out of the game. 

If I am reading all the Jacobs material correctly, it seems that he graduated from a Chicago high school in May of 2017 and then went to a prep school in AZ, which he is attending currently so he hopefully has some post-high school education, much like Welmer.  Eventhough nothing actually says this, if he signed a LOI with SIU-C in October 2016 then that would mean that he was going to graduate from HS in May 2017. 

Is this correct or am I missing something?

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Roy, I don't normally take issue with you and assuming that Welmer doesn't return you can now get over your negative posts on anybody just because they were recruited by Crews.

Regarding your first two paragraphs, above, see Desmet's reply to you.  This isn't the Fall recruiting period when all players are in the recruiting pool.  This is the Spring period when few top players are unsigned and we desperately need guards-i think TF got someone to plug our need for Guard bodies when many are already signed elsewhere.

Regarding your extremely negative last paragraph, what is your problem?  I think you have said you have no inside info on the Goodwin situation with regard to his returning to SLU.  With that being the case I assume you, also, do not have any info on any of our other current players returning,  or with regard to Gordon, Thatch or Pearson.  Do you watch the current players go into the student section after games?  Do you not believe Goodwin is a man of his word?  Do you not pay attention to small things like French and Thatch replying to the Jacobs tweet in which he announced his intent to attend SLU?  Where are you picking up the "Don't count on them all coming back" position?

Who do you think is not coming or coming back?  Goodwin? French? Foreman? Bess? Johnson?  Do you really think Gordon, Thatch or Pearson is going to ask out of their LOI?  If so, why?  What is your basis for thinking that?  These guys all know we are loaded for next year.  Why would they even consider transferring to a school which might be facing NCAA sanctions due to the FBI investigation?

Lots of questions for you, but I don't think you really have any answers.  You are just mad at the SLU leadership, well so am I but I don't want the team and Ford to suffer.

Look I'm just as mad as anyone about the way the SLU leadership has handled the S2 situation, but I think Ford and his staff have done a great job in keeping the ship afloat and i think that they will continue to do so. 

Get back on the wagon, we miss you there!

2 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

off a David Kvidahl www.stltoday.com article when Jacobs’ team, played Webster Groves in December 2016:

"The Titans were paced by SIU signee Denmarius Jacobs. He had 32 points, nine rebounds and five highlight reel blocks that displayed the freakish athleticism that made him such a sought after recruit."

Sounds like someone who can slide in to Bess’s role once he graduates.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Thanks for posting but he did not take one perimeter shot.  He better have some kind of a shot or he will not be much help.  The write up posted by Venice did address this though. 

Here are his stats for this year. He shot 43% from 3 but only had 23 attempts. Apparently he is an outstanding ft shooter (87%) which this team can desperately use.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=776aa11a-2bca-e711-93f8-ecf4bbe7be14&gendersport=boys,basketball

Zink and VeniceMenace like this

3 minutes ago, ARon said:

3 minutes ago, ARon said:

Way too small for that.  Bess is a solid body 6'6" while DJ is a thin 6'3"

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

No need to be a Debbie Downer on such good news.  

Any player here now leaving on their own is ludicrous. They all had just as high vibes as we did till the orgy. They know more than we do how close to real trouble that night got those 4. To go through this and end up at least 500 has to be rewarding and coming back next year with a big blue and white chip on the shoulders and the 4 coming in they can't wait til mid November.