Welcome Demarius Jacobs!

gobillsgo

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A perfect piece to the 2018-19 puzzle.  Now lets get one more Guard, to give us 3  or 4 options.  (JG, DJ, player X (Austin--??)and maybe FT-I'm just not sure if FT fits that role or if he is more of a 2/3 type)  I think the Austin grad transfer possibility would work out just fine.

A final piece would be a Juco or a transfer along the lines of Bess to take his place in 2 years.

That would make our 2018-19 roster (13 sch. available) look like this:

Sen:  Foreman/Bess/Austin              Jun:   Johnson/Santos/JUCO or Transfer         Soph:    Goodwin/French        FR:   CAG/MP/FT/DJ

That gives us 12 scholarships with one to use if a really solid option presents itself or to carry over.  Note, I am counting Welmer as gone.

Who will they end up hate more: Goodwin or Jacobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Illini Fan View Post
Demarius Jacobs to SLU.
Confirms our offer was nothing more than an resume enhancer or plan C for Jacobs. Courtesy to MIF. Probably same for Trice, too.
TCTORNADO is online now Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 11:33 AM   #2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJD86 View Post
I didn't see that coming today, he clearly was plan B, so we better get plan A or on to C and D....
I am guessing grades were issue.

Playing time on a loaded team trumped S2/Pestello and the Title IX crew!

Maybe this answers a couple of Billikens.com posters who have been posting that we would have a hard time getting recruits with S2 hanging over our heads.  They didn't give TF and staff enough credit!

Where are the NCAA Regionals in March 2019?  BE THERE

1 minute ago, bauman said:

Playing time on a loaded team trumped S2/Pestello and the Title IX crew!

Maybe this answers a couple of Billikens.com posters who have been posting that we would have a hard time getting recruits with S2 hanging over our heads.  They didn't give TF and staff enough credit!

Where are the NCAA Regionals in March 2019?  BE THERE

I guess the family was excited after all

27 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Who will they end up hate more: Goodwin or Jacobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Illini Fan View Post
Demarius Jacobs to SLU.
Confirms our offer was nothing more than an resume enhancer or plan C for Jacobs. Courtesy to MIF. Probably same for Trice, too.
TCTORNADO is online now Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 11:33 AM   #2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJD86 View Post
I didn't see that coming today, he clearly was plan B, so we better get plan A or on to C and D....
I am guessing grades were issue.

Like it's a tougher academic environment than SLU!

TF back in the saddle. Can't wait for him to start post season work with our other picks!

1 hour ago, bauman said:

I’ll admit that I thought that S2 was going to kill us in recruiting. It remains to be seen what effect it will have, but I’m impressed and more optimistic than before.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Suddenly it’s grade issues *eye roll* 

Grades are a valid concern...that being said:

From Prep Bulls Eye -July 26
.  Demarius Jacobs 6'3 2017 PG Chicago (Uplift) All-In/Y&R 17U  

Yes, we are starting to sound like a broken record on this subject, but we truly believe there is not another player in recent memory from Illinois who has been more undervalued or fallen more under the radar than Demarius Jacobs. And there are plenty of valid reasons for saying that.

To begin with, every time we watch Jacobs he seems to show us a little bit more than the time before. This has been evident throughout the entire Spring and Summer, including at events such as the Swish 'N Dish Spring Warmup presented by NY2LA Sports, the Adidas Chicago Classic, the Next Level Invitational and Summer Jam. And more than anything else, there are simply few players in the state who play with as high a motor or who play any harder.

Jacobs is an outstanding finisher who does a great job of attacking the basket and loves to play above the rim. He is also an outstanding open court defender who is effective at the top of the press. In addition, Jacobs is also a much better shooter than he is given credit for despite the fact that he doesn't look to shoot from the perimeter all that often.

The bottom line is that Jacobs is another one of those players you simply plug in anywhere--position does not matter. With that being said, we think that a majority of college coaches don't realize that Jacobs can play the point guard spot, and in fact that may actually be the ideal position to recruit him at, as he has the ball handling skills and the demeanor. While Jacobs does hold a number of mid-major scholarship offers and there is no question that he would be superb at that level, we have no doubt that he could be a fit at more than a few high majors as well, which is why we still say that there are some who have missed the boat.