Women's Basketball Team

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

3 assists / 13 turnovers.  Below 30% from the field and below 20% from 3pt land.  Yuck.  If @The Wiz were to analyze this game so far, I think he would probably smash his calculator over his head.

Definitely an F- game.

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

Next year could be rough.  We just lost 6 seniors. 

Including the all-time greatest Billiken.  I have heard that we are playing UCONN next year.  That could be really ugly!  Stone and staff have really blown it when trying to build a program using Jackie K as a building block. 

Next year team won't be as good.  They pay her a lot and to not make a tournament by now with best player in program history is disappointing. She took over a program that wasn't even a good D3 program, so just about anyone with half a brain could of done better. I've said this before, but a lot of talk and nothing to show. It's a report card business. She has a C- so far. Just my opinion. Soft schedule on average has racked up a lot of wins, but she can't win when it matters. A lot of money that program gets I've heard. A lot. Next year, NCAA....or a bust. Imo.

I wonder what the problem is. She recruited Stiponovich and then followed it up with this years senior class. She seemed to have it going,  but then put together back to back to back bad recruiting years.They are touting next years class as a good class. If its not, she made need to go.

Unless she builds another powder puff schedule, trying to rely on an average+ freshman recruiting class to carry the water .....well it just ain't gonna happen.  Stone on the women's side is similar to Grawer on the men's.  Saved the program from disaster but in the end could only get us to mediocre and trending downward (and Lisa didn't have the Upchurch case and a non-supportive AD to deal with).

24 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Women's basketball, , Men's Soccer, sub par facilities.....

When will the boosters and alumni hold Chris May accountable?

FIFY 

baseball programs in areas that deal with harsh weather are incredibly difficult to build. Hendrickson is the best we’re going to do.

Mens soccer just made a coaching change. We’ll see how that goes.

Stone needs to be given the benefit of the doubt, she proved she can bring us out of the dark ages lets wait, see what she does with this team next year and then assess the direction of the program. 

slufanskip and TheChosenOne like this

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Unless she builds another powder puff schedule, trying to rely on an average+ freshman recruiting class to carry the water .....well it just ain't gonna happen.  Stone on the women's side is similar to Grawer on the men's.  Saved the program from disaster but in the end could only get us to mediocre and trending downward (and Lisa didn't have the Upchurch case and a non-supportive AD to deal with).

Unfair to Grawer. He had some very good teams but not quite as good as Xavier.  He didn't get to reap the benefits of his last excellent recruiting class.  Also it should be remembered that the turnaround he made in the program was unbelievable considering how horrible our facilities were. 

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, HenryB said:

Unfair to Grawer. He had some very good teams but not quite as good as Xavier.  He didn't get to reap the benefits of his last excellent recruiting class.  Also it should be remembered that the turnaround he made in the program was unbelievable considering how horrible our facilities were. 

Plus, Grawer got torpedoed by the administration with the Upchurch thing.  Not only did it mean he didn’t have Upchurch, it hurt Grawer’s ability to recruit locally for a couple of seasons.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Plus, Grawer got torpedoed by the administration with the Upchurch thing.  Not only did it mean he didn’t have Upchurch, it hurt Grawer’s ability to recruit locally for a couple of seasons.

Agreed. Grawer pulled the best player out of the city three years in a row. Then the administration torpedoed him.

5 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Women's basketball, Baseball, Men's Soccer, sub par facilities.....

When will the boosters and alumni hold Chris May accountable?

I am confused don't the women play in the same arena as the men?  I think you are off the mark with that one.

9 hours ago, HenryB said:

If you don't think Grawer's program was trending downward then look at the record his last year and the year after he left. Even though that latter year had a few nice recruits, it still took Spoon a couple of year (including the addition of H Waldman) to get the program up to an outstanding level.  Kind of like it is taking TF a few years to recover from the Crews era disaster

I find it interesting now that RG and TF have one similar trait.  Yanking a player, immediately,  if he makes a mistake.  It is also interesting that both of them had sons who were about the same age and who excelled in basketball.  You would have thought that having basketball playing sons would have made them more patient with mistakes that all players make.

That last paragraph is in no way intended to indicate that I have problems with TF, because I don't.  I think he is the best recruiter we have ever had and does a very good job coaching the talent he has-I want him to stay as long as possible.  I just point out what I feel is a minor trait, in the overall scheme of being a head coach.

I guess this has taken us off track from the Lady Bills.  Sorry.

willie likes this