Semi OT - Porter Moser

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that people are happy for Moser given that he was an assistant here with RM.  While it is a feel good story lets not forget that if he establishes a long winning program that we will be in direct recruiting competition in the Chicago area.  We do recruit that area so while I can wish him well for now I really do not want him to become the WS of the MVC.

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I get that people are happy for Moser given that he was an assistant here with RM.  While it is a feel good story lets not forget that if he establishes a long winning program that we will be in direct recruiting competition in the Chicago area.  We do recruit that area so while I can wish him well for now I really do not want him to become the WS of the MVC.

That's true, to an extent. But Porter doesn't seem to be chasing our primary targets. He's competing more for the guys we're looking at, but who aren't no-doubters. Right now, two of the names up for the last scholarship(s) available for the Loyola 2018 class are Kevin Easley and Drew Peterson. We offered Easley early on (I think the Crews staff did originally), he had offers and interest from some Big East, Big Ten, and AAC schools, committed to VCU, decommitted, and now appears to have lost the interest of the bigger programs. He could end up being a nice get for Moser, though. Peterson is a guy with offers from the MAC, Ivy, and Horizon, who has interest from some Big Ten and Pac 12 and other schools but none of them have pulled the trigger with an offer. SLU was tracking him when Crews was here, and I know Ford has had assistants watch him, although I don't see any signs of our interest more recently. But he's another kid who could be a steal at Loyola's level. Super skinny, but a high-level scorer with height and length.

So at this point, we're not going head-to-head on many, if any, guys. I would love to see Porter stay there and build a dangerous Valley program at Loyola, but I think his name is going to be a popular one this season with higher-level coaching vacancy speculation.

3 minutes ago, almaman said:

that can be said to a degree about all 350 other D-1 teams. 

FIFY

30 minutes ago, almaman said:

that can be said to a degree about all 310 other D-1 teams. 

Not really, we don't primarily recruit every region in the country - not saying we could not pull a player some time from the NW but that is not our primary territory.  Chicago is however.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I’m not concerned about this.  If he is able to push this year’s team to the S16, or otherwise continues to have success in the next few years, higher level programs will come knocking and he will likely be gone for a better opportunity.  

Heck, I wouldn’t count out a scenario where he is one day back at SLU.....

I wish him all the best success.

Just now, TheOne said:

I’m not concerned about this.  If he is able to push this year’s team to the S16, or otherwise continues to have success in the next few years, higher level programs will come knocking and he will likely be gone for a better opportunity.  

Heck, I wouldn’t count out a scenario where he is one day back at SLU.....

I wish him all the best success.

His wife is from Chicago and her family is all there.  She wants to stay in Chicago or very close so unless NW comes a knocking I bet he is there along time.  He is one of those coaches that has figured out that being a big fish in a small pond can be very good.  

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

His wife is from Chicago and her family is all there.  She wants to stay in Chicago or very close so unless NW comes a knocking I bet he is there along time.  He is one of those coaches that has figured out that being a big fish in a small pond can be very good.  

Loyola will have to pony up to keep him.  He and his wife may love Chicago but it hard to turn down a guaranteed million or more over 5 years when you are making less than $400,000.  I could see Loyola giving him enough money and years to keep him, but he is gone if they don't. 

I think Porter is going to be in demand even if they don't reach the Sweet 16.  He is a guy that is well liked by AD's and basketball people.  Now that he has shown he can get a program like Loyola to the tourney and win a game, they will be more than comfortable having him as their coach.

DePaul might actually be a good landing spot for him.  The recruits in Chicago are seeing what he can do.  He obviously builds from fundamentals outward.  Most attempts at rebuilding, or building, DePaul have involved bringing in talent that ends up not playing well together or not living up to the hype.  Even Mo Valley level talent coached up by him and his staff might perform better in the Big East then DePaul does now.   With success, he could start bringing in better recruits.

8 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

DePaul might actually be a good landing spot for him.  The recruits in Chicago are seeing what he can do.  He obviously builds from fundamentals outward.  Most attempts at rebuilding, or building, DePaul have involved bringing in talent that ends up not playing well together or not living up to the hype.  Even Mo Valley level talent coached up by him and his staff might perform better in the Big East then DePaul does now.   With success, he could start bringing in better recruits.

DePaul is not a good spot for anyone 

AGB91 likes this

Loyola Chicago hasn't been good in forever, and he made it happen.  I'm just saying that if built the program from the ground up without the flashy Chicago recruits, but with a group of guys that are slightly more talented than what he has at Loyola, he could have success at DePaul.  Anyone who has any amount of success at DePaul would have some serious job security for a while.

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Loyola Chicago hasn't been good in forever, and he made it happen.  I'm just saying that if built the program from the ground up without the flashy Chicago recruits, but with a group of guys that are slightly more talented than what he has at Loyola, he could have success at DePaul.  Anyone who has any amount of success at DePaul would have some serious job security for a while.

Even if you don't have success at DePaul you still have job security, at least that has been the case recently. 

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Forgot about DePaul - that could easily be a place he goes.  All I know is his wife is very happy in Chicago - happy wife happy life as they say.  I do agree the money thing could be a big draw but you make a good point - DePaul may be his best spot.

7 minutes ago, thetorch said:

DePaul has been lost for 20 years.  They can't recruit Chicago anymore.  Their facilities are horrible and their budget is tiny.

They are currently building a new facility closer to campus.  The facility is going to be very nice - close but still not on campus.

15 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

They are currently building a new facility closer to campus.  The facility is going to be very nice - close but still not on campus.

That building open this year.  It is really nice.

I think Torch was referring to the Sullivan Athletic Center which is pretty crappy.

56 minutes ago, thetorch said:

DePaul has been lost for 20 years.  They can't recruit Chicago anymore.  Their facilities are horrible and their budget is tiny.

Well they had a commitment from 8th grader Amari Bailey but shockingly he already changed his mind.  

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

That building open this year.  It is really nice.

I think Torch was referring to the Sullivan Athletic Center which is pretty crappy.

I thought it might be.  I thought someone recently told me that it was opening next year but apparently they were wrong.  The drawings I saw a last year looked very nice.

17 hours ago, cheeseman said:

That new facility is on the complete opposite side of the city. Closer to campus than the Allstate Arena, but definitely not close. 

It is a very nice place though.