Semi OT - Porter Moser

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moser reportedly made a base of $420K this season.  Hurley's number at Rhody was reported to be $1.1M.  X is paid Mack $1.6M.  Pitt would pay whatever they have to to land a 'profile' coach.  All jobs open or likely soon to be open.

So how much will Moser be making next season and where will it be?

• 5 weeks later...

Porter Moser signed an extension through 2026 to stay at Loyola.  Congrats to Porter and his family.  Surely the guy could've landed at a bigger school and made more money.  I love the fact that he chose to stay home and continue with the school he put back on the map.  It's a rarity these days; but good to see Majerus' protege willing to stay in the MVC.  Hope he wins every MVC title through 2026.

26 minutes ago, philliken said:

Porter Moser signed an extension through 2026 to stay at Loyola.  Congrats to Porter and his family.  Surely the guy could've landed at a bigger school and made more money.  I love the fact that he chose to stay home and continue with the school he put back on the map.  It's a rarity these days; but good to see Majerus' protege willing to stay in the MVC.  Hope he wins every MVC title through 2026.

Nothing excited him.  These extensions are smoke and mirrors - the real question is what is the buy out amount?  If not very high then this contract means nothing.

26 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Nothing excited him.  These extensions are smoke and mirrors - the real question is what is the buy out amount?  If not very high then this contract means nothing.

Precisely, Marty. 

His team got done too late for any real opportunities to rise. But if there is any weird firing, resignation, Thad Matta/Steve Fischer type opening - he could still be gone if a school wants him bad enough. 

15 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Precisely, Marty. 

His team got done too late for any real opportunities to rise. But if there is any weird firing, resignation, Thad Matta/Steve Fischer type opening - he could still be gone if a school wants him bad enough. 

If Jay Wright jumps to the NBA because someone like Dolan decides to throw a crazy amount of money at him, the whole coaching carousel will get going at full speed.  I know everyone is saying that Wright to the NBA is dead now because he has made it clear he is staying at Nova.  That is just smart negotiating when dealing with Dolan.  When Dolan really wants something, saying you are not interested is the way to get him to make you the highest paid coach in the NBA.  If Dolan really wants Jay Wright, this isn't over.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

If Jay Wright jumps to the NBA because someone like Dolan decides to throw a crazy amount of money at him, the whole coaching carousel will get going at full speed.  I know everyone is saying that Wright to the NBA is dead now because he has made it clear he is staying at Nova.  That is just smart negotiating when dealing with Dolan.  When Dolan really wants something, saying you are not interested is the way to get him to make you the highest paid coach in the NBA.  If Dolan really wants Jay Wright, this isn't over.

Brian, out of curiosity, would he leave Philly to be fourth or fifth fiddle in New York to the Yanks, Mets, Giants and Jets and/or Rangers? He’s arguably the face of Philly sports. Way more than Doug Pederson and I know the Eagles loom larger than Nova, but aside from cash considerations, he’s living the life. Look at what the jump did to Pitino. Billy Donovan makes it look easy with OKC, but name me a coach that has gone from College to a pro rebuild and turned it around? I know he’s probably got the Teflon style with the press, but Dolan’s guy in my opinion is Quin Snyder. I can’t tell you a damn thing about the Jazz, but how they’ve managed to hang with the Thunder is pretty impressive. He could do the same thing in the east with a no-name roster. 

23 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Brian, out of curiosity, would he leave Philly to be fourth or fifth fiddle in New York to the Yanks, Mets, Giants and Jets and/or Rangers? He’s arguably the face of Philly sports. Way more than Doug Pederson and I know the Eagles loom larger than Nova, but aside from cash considerations, he’s living the life. Look at what the jump did to Pitino. Billy Donovan makes it look easy with OKC, but name me a coach that has gone from College to a pro rebuild and turned it around? I know he’s probably got the Teflon style with the press, but Dolan’s guy in my opinion is Quin Snyder. I can’t tell you a damn thing about the Jazz, but how they’ve managed to hang with the Thunder is pretty impressive. He could do the same thing in the east with a no-name roster. 

I don’t think he will leave, BUT

a.) Knicks are 4/5th fiddle because they stink. When good they’re right behind the Yankees in that landscape

b.) “way more than Pederson” the guy who just brought the Eagles a SB 😂.... no

c.) Billy Donovan stinks 

d.) Brad Stevens

e.) No idea why Snyder would abandon the young talent he has in Utah (Gobert, Mitchell). They finished the season on a 27-3 run or something crazy good 

29 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I don’t think he will leave, BUT

a.) Knicks are 4/5th fiddle because they stink. When good they’re right behind the Yankees in that landscape

b.) “way more than Pederson” the guy who just brought the Eagles a SB 😂.... no

c.) Billy Donovan stinks 

d.) Brad Stevens

e.) No idea why Snyder would abandon the young talent he has in Utah (Gobert, Mitchell). They finished the season on a 27-3 run or something crazy good 

I wouldn’t necessarily call the C’s team Brad Stevens inherited a full-on rebuild. Maybe this year they exceeded expectations given the injuries to Gordon right off the bat and Kyrie late, but not certain about a total Knicks style rebuild. But to your point, he’s done a hell of a job there. The building blocks are there and he’s the architect. 

What I meant by Jay Wright being the face of Philly sports is that someone outside of Philly could be at the grocery store, see him and recognize him. He’s garnered local/national exposure for a while now. Not too many people could pick Doug Pederson out in the frozen food aisle, even if he was carrying the Lombardi Trophy around. Something about those damn pinstripe suits JW wears! 

C.) is spot on. 

5 hours ago, philliken said:

Be careful what you wish for.  If that happens, the Loyola jumps over us in line for Big East expansion, if that ever happens.

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Be careful what you wish for.  If that happens, the Loyola jumps over us in line for Big East expansion, if that ever happens.

I get your point and while I don't wish Porter Moser any ill I really don't want any other school to succeed over us - but also, the BE will not ever want 2 teams in Chicago so I doubt that would ever happen.

almaman likes this

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I get your point and while I don't wish Porter Moser any ill I really don't want any other school to succeed over us - but also, the BE will not ever want 2 teams in Chicago so I doubt that would ever happen.

I don't wish anything bad on Porter either, but I also don't want Loyola becoming the next Creighton or Wichita State.  Given their proximity, it could hurt our recruiting.  As stated above, it could also make them a viable option for the Big East.  I would bet that the Big East wouldn't have a problem with two Chicago teams.  In fact, I could see them liking the idea of having two teams develop a conference rivalry in the 3rd biggest market in the country.

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I don't wish anything bad on Porter either, but I also don't want Loyola becoming the next Creighton or Wichita State.  Given their proximity, it could hurt our recruiting.  As stated above, it could also make them a viable option for the Big East.  I would bet that the Big East wouldn't have a problem with two Chicago teams.  In fact, I could see them liking the idea of having two teams develop a conference rivalry in the 3rd biggest market in the country.

The BE has no interest in 2 NY teams or 2 Philly teams so they would have no interest in 2 in Chicago.  Recruiting is the thing to worry about not taking our slim chance for the BE.

27 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The BE has no interest in 2 NY teams or 2 Philly teams so they would have no interest in 2 in Chicago.  Recruiting is the thing to worry about not taking our slim chance for the BE.

What are St. John and Seton Hall doing in the BE then? Wasn’t Rutgers in the BE for a stretch? NY/NJ metro for all practical matters is just one demographic. You are right in saying NY doesnt want two BE teams when at one point they had three in a 40 mile radius of MSG. 

51 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

What are St. John and Seton Hall doing in the BE then? Wasn’t Rutgers in the BE for a stretch? NY/NJ metro for all practical matters is just one demographic. You are right in saying NY doesnt want two BE teams when at one point they had three in a 40 mile radius of MSG. 

Well I will give you the NY/NJ issue but bringing up Rutgers is moot given that Rutgers was in only because the league needed a football team to balance out in all probability.  The new BE looks as if they are using a different metric.  Also, Seton Hall and St. John were founding members so it would be hard to not have both still in the conference.  

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Well I will give you the NY/NJ issue but bringing up Rutgers is moot given that Rutgers was in only because the league needed a football team to balance out in all probability.  The new BE looks as if they are using a different metric.  Also, Seton Hall and St. John were founding members so it would be hard to not have both still in the conference.  

Dave Gavett approves. When you say balance the league out, do you mean because the conference had more football powers south of the NY/NJ area in West Virginia, Virginia Tech and Miami? Or just because most member schools did not have D-1A football?

52 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Dave Gavett approves. When you say balance the league out, do you mean because the conference had more football powers south of the NY/NJ area in West Virginia, Virginia Tech and Miami? Or just because most member schools did not have D-1A football?

My point was that Rutgers was one of the 8 football schools that made up the BE.

Bobby Metzinger likes this