Grad Transfer & JUCO Tracker

ACE

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fewer available transfers as more are finding homes and few new ones are hitting the market, but one that could be of interest just became available. A 6-6 forward from Eastern Kentucky. Averaged a solid 12 ppg and 6 rpg as a sophomore. Kid is from Lexington, Ford used to coach Eastern and is recruiting the state of Kentucky. With Johnson gone and Bess leaving after this upcoming season, a player like this might help fill a void beginning in the 2019-20 season. As the roster currently stands, we will only have three upperclassmen on the 2019-20 roster (Goodwin, French and Santos) so adding an experienced player makes sense and balances out the classes a bit. Wouldn't be surprised if the staff at least explores this a bit.

On 5/16/2018 at 9:28 AM, ACE said:

Fewer available transfers as more are finding homes and few new ones are hitting the market, but one that could be of interest just became available. A 6-6 forward from Eastern Kentucky. Averaged a solid 12 ppg and 6 rpg as a sophomore. Kid is from Lexington, Ford used to coach Eastern and is recruiting the state of Kentucky. With Johnson gone and Bess leaving after this upcoming season, a player like this might help fill a void beginning in the 2019-20 season. As the roster currently stands, we will only have three upperclassmen on the 2019-20 roster (Goodwin, French and Santos) so adding an experienced player makes sense and balances out the classes a bit. Wouldn't be surprised if the staff at least explores this a bit.

...And Welmer If healthy?

On 5/8/2018 at 12:34 PM, ACE said:

Denzel Mahoney from SEMO is transfering. Averaged 19 ppg, 5 rpg, and shot over 40% from 3. He's a sophomore, so would have to sit out a year. Worth a call.

I hope we get some pitbull soon with one of these last two scholarships. Things are slow on the recruiting front and I think the roster still needs some help.

A few days old, but Denzel Mahoney announced he will be going to Creighton.

14 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank just said SLU is in contention for Tramaine Isabell. He hasn't set up an official visit yet though.

He's been to Xavier and Seton Hall so far. I think he's got Arizona State coming up. Not sure if we're going to get a visit or not.

1 minute ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I wonder if Isabelle has a connection with Tate after their time together at Mizzou.

They do. Crazy that Xavier is in on yet another grad transfer. They already have 3 or 4.

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

They do. Crazy that Xavier is in on yet another grad transfer. They already have 3 or 4.

Yeah, 3 signed already: Zach Hankins, D-II player of the year and national champion from Ferris State; Kyle Castlin, shooting guard from Columbia; and Ryan Welage, a stretch four who scored 18 PPG at San Jose State.

They're losing one of their best classes of all time, so it's an interesting bridge year strategy from new coach Travis Steele, counting on all these grad transfers to come together and keep them competitive. On paper, this roster should work, but they need another PG. Quentin Goodin - like our Goodwin - was not a PG in HS, more of a strong, slashing 2-guard. Right now, the only guy they have backing him up is Paul Scruggs, another talented guard who wasn't a PG in HS and who didn't play a lot his freshman year. So they appear to be giving Isabell the full push. Adding a little intrigue is that Xavier plays at Mizzou in December, so Isabell would get a bit of a homecoming game.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:22 PM, VeniceMenace said:

...And Welmer If healthy?

EW came up in another thread being listed as a SOPH.  Can someone clarify his class?  I thought he redshirted his first year at SLU, played his second year and was on the team, but DNP last year.  Since he already burned his redshirt, 3 yrs ago, doesn;t last year count as one of his 4 remaining years of eligibility even though he didn't play?

1 minute ago, bauman said:

EW came up in another thread being listed as a SOPH.  Can someone clarify his class?  I thought he redshirted his first year at SLU, played his second year and was on the team, but DNP last year.  Since he already burned his redshirt, 3 yrs ago, doesn;t last year count as one of his 4 remaining years of eligibility even though he didn't play?

He will likely qualify for a medical redshirt, which would give him an extra year to complete his eligibility. I’m pretty sure that’s the logic. 

His bio is crazy:

2013-2014: Senior year at Columbus North HS

2014-2015: Prep year at Bridgton Academy

2015-2016: Medical redshirt at SLU

2016-2017: Freshman at SLU

2017-2018: Medical redshirt at SLU

2018-2019: Sophomore at SLU

He gets the all-time SLU award for patience. He deserves a healthy season and NCAA Tournament bid.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

His bio is crazy:

2013-2014: Senior year at Columbus North HS

2014-2015: Prep year at Bridgton Academy

2015-2016: Medical redshirt at SLU

2016-2017: Freshman at SLU

2017-2018: Medical redshirt at SLU

2018-2019: Sophomore at SLU

He gets the all-time SLU award for patience. He deserves a healthy season and NCAA Tournament bid.

If he gets his medical 6th year approved and plays 3 seasons, he could be a 25 or 26 year old senior. 

4 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

If he gets his medical 6th year approved and plays 3 seasons, he could be a 25 or 26 year old senior. 

That would be great. Oldest non-Mormon player in college basketball. He could have multiple masters degrees by the time he's done. He could be teaching his teammates by his senior year. "Ugh, I can't believe I have to take this guy's managerial accounting class and then go straight to afternoon workouts with him."