Grad Transfer & JUCO Tracker

ACE

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a grad transfer, but Austin Reaves is leaving Wichita State. Good three point shooter, part-time starter, he was expected to take on a bigger role with Frankamp and Shamet leaving. His departure comes as a big surprise. Wichita State figures to take a big step back next year, after a nice long run. They will have practically an entirely new team next year.

Update but not really an update on Coleman. Rivals has him as the third best grad transfer available beyond Cremo and Mooney. 

"

Coleman was a standout performer at Samford this past season after beginning his career at Alabama. The 5-foot-10 guard, who averaged over 13 points and six assists per contest, can create his own shot and also set up others against a set, half-court defense. 

Coleman has already taken official visits to Texas Southern and St. Louis, though a number of heavy hitters remain in contention. He has settled on a list includes TSU, SLU, UAB, Northern Kentucky, Auburn, SMU, Arizona, Ohio State and Marquette. Things remain fairly open with Coleman, though a commitment is not too far off. He will visit SMU this week and Arizona next Wednesday."

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/evans-seven-the-top-grad-transfers-available-on-the-market

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Update but not really an update on Coleman. Rivals has him as the third best grad transfer available beyond Cremo and Mooney. 

"

Coleman was a standout performer at Samford this past season after beginning his career at Alabama. The 5-foot-10 guard, who averaged over 13 points and six assists per contest, can create his own shot and also set up others against a set, half-court defense. 

Coleman has already taken official visits to Texas Southern and St. Louis, though a number of heavy hitters remain in contention. He has settled on a list includes TSU, SLU, UAB, Northern Kentucky, Auburn, SMU, Arizona, Ohio State and Marquette. Things remain fairly open with Coleman, though a commitment is not too far off. He will visit SMU this week and Arizona next Wednesday."

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/evans-seven-the-top-grad-transfers-available-on-the-market

Thank you for the update maybe by the end of next week we will know his intentions.

Does anyone know with Arizona's issues if that program is still on solid ground for competing in the Pac 12 and NCAA bid for the 2018-2019 season?

7 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

"

We need Brandon Williams to sign with Arizona. That will take care of their point guard needs.

I think Ohio St has filled their need w/ a grad transfer last week. Kind of wish we weren't his first visit. The memory starts to fade especially when you see the bright lights of the P5 teams. Of course, he's already seen that at Bama. Would he be a starter at SLU? If so, maybe that will have some appeal.

In addition to Coleman, a few of the best remaining grad transfer guards are...

Davis (Alabma)

Holston (South Florida)

Mooney (South Dakota)

Mosley (Boston)

Patterson (LSU)

Johnson (Northern Arizona)

There are "only" 500 declared transfers at this point. Last year there were a whopping 884 and also more than 800 the prior two years. In 2012, there were 577, so that number has been steadily increasing.

If we miss on the grad transfer, wonder if the focus will shift to a more traditional transfer. Ford doesn't strike me as the kind of coach who will "save scholarships."

1 hour ago, ACE said:

In addition to Coleman, a few of the best remaining grad transfer guards are...

Davis (Alabma)

Holston (South Florida)

Mooney (South Dakota)

Mosley (Boston)

Patterson (LSU)

Johnson (Northern Arizona)

There are "only" 500 declared transfers at this point. Last year there were a whopping 884 and also more than 800 the prior two years. In 2012, there were 577, so that number has been steadily increasing.

If we miss on the grad transfer, wonder if the focus will shift to a more traditional transfer. Ford doesn't strike me as the kind of coach who will "save scholarships."

-I guess there could be players out there yet for the fall but who of quality other than a player from WGHS who said he is not attending SLU? 

A good grad transfer hit the market - Brock Stull who played for Milwaukee. A 6-4 guard who averaged 13 ppg. Shot a lot of 3s and made them at 38%. Went to a Catholic school in Rockford for what it's worth. I'm sure he'll attract a lot of interest. 

On 4/20/2018 at 5:08 PM, slusam said:

We need Brandon Williams to sign with Arizona. That will take care of their point guard needs.

Sounds like Arizona may be Coleman’s last visit, then a decision soon afterward:

https://www.google.com/amp/tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/pascoe/arizona-basketball-justin-coleman-brandon-williams-near-decisions/article_979d1024-4800-11e8-b927-c75705392031.amp.html

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Coleman committed to Arizona 

Bummer! Would have been a great addition. I figured they would be tough to beat once they got involved. It's been surprisingly quiet on the recruiting front. I don't want a 6th high school player and I still think a grad transfer is the best fit. If that doesn't work out, maybe Ford shops for a transfer who can sit out a year.

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

Bummer! Would have been a great addition. I figured they would be tough to beat once they got involved. It's been surprisingly quiet on the recruiting front. I don't want a 6th high school player and I still think a grad transfer is the best fit. If that doesn't work out, maybe Ford shops for a transfer who can sit out a year.

I know I'm a glass half empty kinda guy and it's only April but why am I so disappointed with the recruiting front thus far? I agree, Ace, might as well throw that scholarship in the back pocket for 2019 if there doesn't appear to be a good fit. That said, plenty of time left!

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I know I'm a glass half empty kinda guy and it's only April but why am I so disappointed with the recruiting front thus far? I agree, Ace, might as well throw that scholarship in the back pocket for 2019 if there doesn't appear to be a good fit. That said, plenty of time left!

Thus far? As in like the spring period or Ford's tenure here?

10 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

You're probably disappointed because Thatch and Gordon committed VERY early for 2018. That was awesome. But it's not the norm. 

14 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

we dont have a lot to offer GT and transfers right now.  Its a nice position to be in for once. 

12 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Thus far? As in like the spring period or Ford's tenure here?

Sorry, no. I just meant since the season ended and in regards to the open spots for 2018. It doesn't help that I'm comparing it to last year when there seemed to be more action following the end of the season. I'm just being whiny on this gorgeous Friday afternoon. TGIF! Who wants to go grab some Bud Light Limes!!????

RiseAndGrind likes this

There are plenty of grad transfer guards out there - maybe we don't get our first choice but we can easily find somebody.  Since it is only a one year commitment who cares how good he is when push comes to shove.  Sticking the last schollie in your pocket for 2019 is the same as signing a grad transfer except you get the player for next year and can still sign a h.s. player for 2019.

6 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Sorry, no. I just meant since the season ended and in regards to the open spots for 2018. It doesn't help that I'm comparing it to last year when there seemed to be more action following the end of the season. I'm just being whiny on this gorgeous Friday afternoon. TGIF! Who wants to go grab some Bud Light Limes!!????

Wasn't last spring pretty mediocre? We added Luis Santos and Rashed Anthony. I'll take Thor and Jacobs over that any day and I still think we'll get a serviceable 5th year transfer before its all said and done.