Grad Transfer & JUCO Tracker

ACE

11 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Kind of an odd list.  Not many kids seem to visit GCU then Oklahoma.  

The amount of time and money GCU has put into its athletics is crazy.  When I was in phx in February, I saw GCU flags at damn near every bar.  Folks there are buying in fast.  

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, ACE said:

Grad transfer guard Troy Holston from South Florida is now available. He sat out this past year due to a knee injury. The previous year the 6-4 shooting guard averaged 10 ppg and led a bad South Florida team in 3-point shots made, although the percentage was not great. He was teammates with Luis Santos. He was known as a sharpshooter coming out of high school and was a 3-star recruit with some nice offers - Miami, Wake, Memphis and several SEC schools. He would have two years of eligibility, so it's like signing a juco.

Knee injuries are spooky.....

21 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The amount of time and money GCU has put into its athletics is crazy.  When I was in phx in February, I saw GCU flags at damn near every bar.  Folks there are buying in fast.  

Colangelo convincing Majerle to take the coaching job really put GCU in a good spot.  It gave the basketball fans in Phoenix a reason to care about that basketball program.  Now Majerle just needs to get them to the dance and that program will really start rolling.

34 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'll never come around on GCU no matter who's involved or how much money they put into the program. For-profit schools don't belong in the NCAA.

Just curious why you feel that way. I don't have strong opinions either way, but my experience with non-profits has taught me that they pretty much operate the same way as a for-profit, but typically less efficient and could have a different type of oversight (i.e. board vs. shareholder). There certainly isn't any any unfair advantage for a non-profit when it comes to funding (one could argue for-profit has a tougher time). 

dennis_w likes this

9 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

Just curious why you feel that way. I don't have strong opinions either way, but my experience with non-profits has taught me that they pretty much operate the same way as a for-profit, but typically less efficient and could have a different type of oversight (i.e. board vs. shareholder). There certainly isn't any any unfair advantage for a non-profit when it comes to funding (one could argue for-profit has a tougher time). 

I should start by saying GCU is actually transitioning toward non-profit status, which is a very recent development. They voted on this a few times in the past few years and decided not to do it, but I think the D-I sports commitment really tipped the balance in the end. This transition means that the company that operates the school will sell its assets to a newly formed non-profit, although it will probably still be a third-party service provider for the school. It was actually a non-profit school until 2004, but sold to save itself from closing after being deep in debt.

GCU has a checkered history, like any for-profit college, and it includes being sued by the federal government for violating the DOE's incentive compensation ban (schools that accept federal financial aid can't compensate enrollment officers based on numbers), low retention (67%) and graduation (<30%) rates, certain programs within the school being censured, and all of the other typical scandals and scams that hover around a for-profit college.

Anyway, the short answer to your question is that I just think for-profit colleges are shady AF. They don't operate in the same way as traditional colleges at all. What you call "efficient" is what I call "with a total lack of standards". They staff schools to the bare minimum. They set tuition at the fully allowable amount students are allowed to borrow from federal student aid programs. They recruit the most vulnerable potential students - low-income, single parents, etc. - and these students end up saddled with debt and a low-value degree, if they finish at all (and they're more likely not to). There are exceptions within these schools in terms of degrees or certifications that can be useful, but much (most?) of what these schools do and how they operate is a total scam. And unfortunately, they have an extremely powerful lobby so they continue to be deregulated and given tax breaks. There's no shortage of information out there (long-form articles, studies, and more lawsuits than you can count) about this subject, and I don't need to spend any more time on it here.

43 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I should start by saying GCU is actually transitioning toward non-profit status, which is a very recent development. They voted on this a few times in the past few years and decided not to do it, but I think the D-I sports commitment really tipped the balance in the end. This transition means that the company that operates the school will sell its assets to a newly formed non-profit, although it will probably still be a third-party service provider for the school. It was actually a non-profit school until 2004, but sold to save itself from closing after being deep in debt.

GCU has a checkered history, like any for-profit college, and it includes being sued by the federal government for violating the DOE's incentive compensation ban (schools that accept federal financial aid can't compensate enrollment officers based on numbers), low retention (67%) and graduation (<30%) rates, certain programs within the school being censured, and all of the other typical scandals and scams that hover around a for-profit college.

Anyway, the short answer to your question is that I just think for-profit colleges are shady AF. They don't operate in the same way as traditional colleges at all. What you call "efficient" is what I call "with a total lack of standards". They staff schools to the bare minimum. They set tuition at the fully allowable amount students are allowed to borrow from federal student aid programs. They recruit the most vulnerable potential students - low-income, single parents, etc. - and these students end up saddled with debt and a low-value degree, if they finish at all (and they're more likely not to). There are exceptions within these schools in terms of degrees or certifications that can be useful, but much (most?) of what these schools do and how they operate is a total scam. And unfortunately, they have an extremely powerful lobby so they continue to be deregulated and given tax breaks. There's no shortage of information out there (long-form articles, studies, and more lawsuits than you can count) about this subject, and I don't need to spend any more time on it here.

Sorry to take up too much of your time, was just curious about that opinion. I can't say that I see much of a difference between your reasoning and the type of BS that goes on every day at some NCAA schools. My use of the term "efficient" and your interpretation as "lack of standards" are not one in the same. Non-profits, in my relatively diverse experience, are more often than not terribly inefficient because there is a sense of "playing with house money".....but that isn't really relevant in this discussion. 

I would say any barrier to playing sports in the NCAA should not be about the tax filing status, but about standards and rules that NCAA puts in place for it's members to abide by.

1 hour ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

Sorry to take up too much of your time, was just curious about that opinion. I can't say that I see much of a difference between your reasoning and the type of BS that goes on every day at some NCAA schools. My use of the term "efficient" and your interpretation as "lack of standards" are not one in the same. Non-profits, in my relatively diverse experience, are more often than not terribly inefficient because there is a sense of "playing with house money".....but that isn't really relevant in this discussion. 

I would say any barrier to playing sports in the NCAA should not be about the tax filing status, but about standards and rules that NCAA puts in place for it's members to abide by.

Oh, I didn't mean you were taking up my time. Just that I didn't want to derail the thread. Sorry about that.

Conventional non-profit education as it currently stands is far from perfect. But I at least trust that the institutions still have the primary goal of educating their students in preparation for their adult lives. For-profit colleges are just trying to squeeze as much profit as they can out of a deregulated system without regard for giving their students something valuable, or without regard to potential damage they're doing.

I also agree with standards and rules of the NCAA being the primary focus for membership, but I don't think these scam schools adhere to the basic fundamentals of NCAA core values. Again, say what you will about the NCAA and higher education in general, but for-profit schools represent the absolute worst of the system.

Matt Mooney, grad transfer from South Dakota - 6-3 shooting guard has averaged 18 ppg two years in a row. Excellent 3-point shooter. Went to a Catholic school in the Chicago area. Apparently good enough to play in a P5 conference if he wants to go that route.

1 hour ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Sanford grad transfer Justin Coleman taking a visit this weekend.

I think he is the senior transfer pg that would fit in the best for us. Hard worker and can score. Played a lot of minutes in the SEC.

28 minutes ago, kshoe said:

For real?

According to Billsbeliever he played at Sanford.  Which is otherwise known as Sanford University,  Named after the Late Fred Sanford, by the acting president of the University Lamont Sanford.  Ranked by US News and World Report # 3 for Waste Management Reclamation Studies.

His last year stats. Looks like a good get! Also its Samford. Solid PG. Could prob start as PG as push Goodwin to a 2 spot

SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2017-18 SAM 32.5 4.6-10.5 .436 1.8-4.8 .373 2.6-3.2 .806 2.8 6.6 0.0 1.2 1.3 2.7

12 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Espn 76 in highschool 4* recruit with the stats to back it

2 years at Alabama then transfer to Samford.  Got 26 mpg his 2nd year at Alabama.  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/justin-coleman-2.html

Really poor 3pt %  while at Alabama.  Better at Samford.  

9 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

Played against Mooney in high school. Had a really bad knee injury before his freshman year at Air Force, resulting in him ending up at South Dakota. I'd love to see him at the jewel of Midtown. 

Wasn't a happy camper at Air Force -- http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/niles/sports/ct-mgc-matt-mooney-air-force-academy-bullying-tl-0420-20150421-story.html

10 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

His last year stats. Looks like a good get! Also its Samford. Solid PG. Could prob start as PG as push Goodwin to a 2 spot

SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2017-18 SAM 32.5 4.6-10.5 .436 1.8-4.8 .373 2.6-3.2 .806 2.8 6.6 0.0 1.2 1.3 2.7

Sorry, according to TGloryTdays, Coach Travis Ford PROMISED Goodwin the starting PG job if he came to SLU.  So this theory, by Glorydays 2013, can't happen.

Stick to your story dude.