Grad Transfer & JUCO Tracker

ACE

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bauman said:

Have we thought about the fact that he might not be graduating in May and therefore would not be immediately eligible if he transferred to SLU?  Maybe he needs another semester at Vandy to graduate, or at least a summer semester.

Same situation as we have with DJF and JB.  With possibly losing some credits when transferring they might not be on pace to graduate in 4 years.

As of a couple weeks ago, he was on pace to graduate this May.

7 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I would think that anyone who has been in college for four years .... who has already gone to two different schools ... is going to be a little smarter in terms of recruiting malarkey and be able to read between the lines.  To me, what's my grad degree going to be.  It has to be a degree currently not offered a the college you are graduating from.  Second, where am I from and does that matter?  I think this guy is from Springfield, Illinois.  IS St. Louis close enough and does that even matter?  I look at the current roster and I see no guards ... Jordan Goodwin notwithstanding.  And even if Godwin is back, I have a different skill set.  And then, the supporting cast.  THAT supporting cast!  French.  Bess.  Santos.  Gordon.  Can I go far there?  Hell yeah.

Hey Taj, anyone that has been basically sitting on a bench for 4 years is not realistically expecting to get into the NBA, and possibly not in professional play in foreign leagues either. These guys should have tempered their dreams of professional play over the years of sitting on a bench, and accepted by now the reality that a good college degree and possibly a good graduate degree are important for their futures. SLU has a fair amount of value to offer people like these, they have a chance to play, and they get a free graduate degree year. Not bad is you ask me. I think any of these grad transfers might be interested in SLU, not to be stars here but to serve a function and get a free year of grad education. These are not kids out of HS, they have experienced disappointment for years and have adapted to it, they know basketball is not likely to be the center of their lives after their eligibility is finished. This applies only to grad transfers that have played little during their college years, of course.

32 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hey Taj, anyone that has been basically sitting on a bench for 4 years is not realistically expecting to get into the NBA, and possibly not in professional play in foreign leagues either. These guys should have tempered their dreams of professional play over the years of sitting on a bench, and accepted by now the reality that a good college degree and possibly a good graduate degree are important for their futures. SLU has a fair amount of value to offer people like these, they have a chance to play, and they get a free graduate degree year. Not bad is you ask me. I think any of these grad transfers might be interested in SLU, not to be stars here but to serve a function and get a free year of grad education. These are not kids out of HS, they have experienced disappointment for years and have adapted to it, they know basketball is not likely to be the center of their lives after their eligibility is finished. This applies only to grad transfers that have played little during their college years, of course.

I saw a 2015 NCAA Study on graduate transfers.  Unfortunately, only 34% of basketball grad transfers obtained a graduate degree.  That raised to 43% for graduate players who stayed at the same school.  So most are in it for the basketball, and not enough are in it for the degree.  Many graduate degrees take 2 years. Typically the athletic eligibility runs out in 1.

10 hours ago, Old guy said:

What can I say, that is too bad. 

You did not say anything wrong it was just your opinion and I agree with you.

If you step back and cannot figure out what you said wrong then you didn't, have a good Wednesday.

Oh, I am not saying my opinion is bad, it is my opinion after all. What I am saying is that players that sat on the bench most of their careers should be aware that they are not going to go professional and start working or thinking on what they are going to do with their lives after eligibility is over. I think that the players that did not obtain the grad degree (as per Hoosier Pal's post on grad degree players and transfers), may have had difficulties in financing their final year in grad school. After all, it is better to go into the job market with a master's degree in anything than with a bachelor's degree.

It does not necessarily take 2 years to get a grad degree.  If you go full time - not working during the day and attending night classes as most do - it is possible to finish in 1 year plus 2 summers.  Also if you have an undergrad degree in lets say business then many of the intro MBA classes for those who do not will be waived.  If you come to a school as a grad transfer then you would be able to attend summer school before and after the playing season.  I also would think that both summer sessions would be part of your schollie.  The question is does the kid really have the motivation to do this?

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I saw a 2015 NCAA Study on graduate transfers.  Unfortunately, only 34% of basketball grad transfers obtained a graduate degree.  That raised to 43% for graduate players who stayed at the same school.  So most are in it for the basketball, and not enough are in it for the degree.  Many graduate degrees take 2 years. Typically the athletic eligibility runs out in 1.

I think those numbers might be pretty misleading.  How long does it give the player to earn the grad degree?  If a player takes another three years to complete the the grad degree while taking courses part-time, does it count them as obtaining the grad degree?

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

It does not necessarily take 2 years to get a grad degree.  If you go full time - not working during the day and attending night classes as most do - it is possible to finish in 1 year plus 2 summers.  Also if you have an undergrad degree in lets say business then many of the intro MBA classes for those who do not will be waived.  If you come to a school as a grad transfer then you would be able to attend summer school before and after the playing season.  I also would think that both summer sessions would be part of your schollie.  The question is does the kid really have the motivation to do this?

I don't know about SLU but there is a trend for schools to offer 1 year MBA programs. 

4 minutes ago, willie said:

I don't know about SLU but there is a trend for schools to offer 1 year MBA programs. 

SLU's one-year MBA is pretty immersive and includes foreign travel.  It would be pretty tough for a basketball player to take part in it.

I don't think there should be any rush to go after Austin. More grad transfers will be announced over the next several weeks. We are desperate for 3-point shooters at the guard position. Johnson is the only proven 3-point threat on the returning roster. Bess and Goodwin were under 30% from 3. All we need is another Henriquez (pure 3-point shooter) and Bishop (combo guard who can handle the ball and at least a threat to make 3s).

If Wellmer departs and a 3rd scholarship opens, then I think a one-dimensional, ball-handler like Austin makes sense, but we need to add a couple shooters first.

BTW, a grad transfer from Northern Arizona just came on the market. He is from Chicago, so maybe Bailey would have an in. He was the leading scorer on a terrible team. Shoots over 30% from 3 and good free throw shooter, but bad a/to rate. He scored 20 points against Kansas State. It's worth looking into.

On 3/12/2018 at 7:29 PM, HoosierPal said:

https://gradtransfertracker.com/potential-transfers-1/

Grad transfer site.  It should blow up in the next few weeks.  Hover over Basketball Transfer and you will get the short list of those already commited.

List has doubled in size in three days.  Fordham is loosing one of their rotational players.

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

List has doubled in size in three days.  Fordham is loosing one of their rotational players.

We don't have a need for him, but Wyatt Walker can play and he will have two years left.  He should be a pretty popular target on the transfer market.  Tough loss for Scott Padgett.  

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The guy would be a great get, but I think we have zero chance of landing him.  He is someone just about everyone would like to land.

Article on Taylor.  He is from the Gary IN area.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2018/03/15/ryan-taylor-explore-other-options-after-two-seasons-evansville/430780002/

On 3/12/2018 at 7:29 PM, HoosierPal said:

https://gradtransfertracker.com/potential-transfers-1/

Grad transfer site.  It should blow up in the next few weeks.  Hover over Basketball Transfer and you will get the short list of those already commited.

6'11" Tariq Owens from St. John's available as a GT.  8.4 ppg and 5.9 rpg ain't too shabby.  Can you have enough big's?  Should Macon make a call?

Jalek Felton PG 5* from UNC would be a dream

Chris Sodom from Georgetown (C) and Mark Smith wouldn't be the worst picks

Smith thought he was far better than SLU once he started getting offers from Michigan St and Duke but now he might want to stay more local, Some of his family members went to SLU. 

Tre cambell is immediately eligible from Georgetown as well

42 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Chris Sodom from Georgetown (C) and Mark Smith wouldn't be the worst picks

Smith thought he was far better than SLU once he started getting offers from Michigan St and Duke but now he might want to stay more local, Some of his family members went to SLU. 

Tre cambell is immediately eligible from Georgetown as well

what are their star ratings? that's all i'm interested in

2 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

This dude got in trouble and was suspended by UNC.  Yes, he was suspended by UNC of all places.  Dude wouldn't last 30 seconds on SLU's campus before he got expelled.