Karraker On Ford

37 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

If it doesn't cost them their jobs, then S3 cannot be too far away.  I do not say that to be negative, but I think we should have our eyes opened pretty widely to how things work currently (both the landscape , the processes, and the entrenched personnel).

I think the worm is turning on this issue. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is now saying she is concerned about the lack of due process on college campuses 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For Travis' sake, I hope he does win it. He deserves it for keeping the Titanic afloat with the gash the SLU iceberg delivered. That said, I worry winning the award may bring him more into the spotlight and a better opportunity from a P5 school job. A job where he'll likely make more $$ and have way more support from the Admin. It wouldn't take much for the latter to be a vast improvement.

Even without winning you have to think Travis' efforts this year will not go unnoticed when the annual coaching carousel starts rolling in March. Despite being canned at OKSU, he was pretty much deemed to be a successful HC at all his stops. He took on a major rebuild here and w/in one year against all odds has SLU sitting in the top tier of the A10. Just think how far he would have brought us back had S2 never happened. I really think we had the talent to be challenging RI and ST B's for the top spot. As for our OOC record, at most I'd give us 3 losses. That would have put us squarely in consideration come selection Sunday. The NIT would have been a lock. All of this will not go unnoticed by AD's looking for a quick fix to a troubled hoops program. The coaching profession's just like any other business you make contacts and friends who keep your name, cell #, and email address on their laptops. It should come as no surprise in  March if we see Travis' name mentioned for programs that will give him a better shot at success than the funny farm where he currently toils.

I agree that Dr. C is our best bet to keep him. Hopefully, they have bonded and become best buddies. Dr. C knows better than any of us the obstacles he's had to overcome this year and can convince him that he can still achieve his goals here at SLU.  

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

For Travis' sake, I hope he does win it. He deserves it for keeping the Titanic afloat with the gash the SLU iceberg delivered. That said, I worry winning the award may bring him more into the spotlight and a better opportunity from a P5 school job. A job where he'll likely make more $$ and have way more support from the Admin. It wouldn't take much for the latter to be a vast improvement.

Even without winning you have to think Travis' efforts this year will not go unnoticed when the annual coaching carousel starts rolling in March. Despite being canned at OKSU, he was pretty much deemed to be a successful HC at all his stops. He took on a major rebuild here and w/in one year against all odds has SLU sitting in the top tier of the A10. Just think how far he would have brought us back had S2 never happened. I really think we had the talent to be challenging RI and ST B's for the top spot. As for our OOC record, at most I'd give us 3 losses. That would have put us squarely in consideration come selection Sunday. The NIT would have been a lock. All of this will not go unnoticed by AD's looking for a quick fix to a troubled hoops program. The coaching profession's just like any other business you make contacts and friends who keep your name, cell #, and email address on their laptops. It should come as no surprise in  March if we see Travis' name mentioned for programs that will give him a better shot at success than the funny farm where he currently toils.

I agree that Dr. C is our best bet to keep him. Hopefully, they have bonded and become best buddies. Dr. C knows better than any of us the obstacles he's had to overcome this year and can convince him that he can still achieve his goals here at SLU.  

How much money would it take for another school to convince Travis to abandon what he's building at SLU (even in spite of situations slowing down the process) only to start another rebuilding process from scratch at another school?  I don't think it's especially likely.

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Quit worrying. He won't win Coach of Year. That will go to Hurley. And Travis will not likely get noticed during the coaching carousel. Less than two years ago, he was considered a retread by many and not good enough for the SLU job. He's getting paid well here and figures to have a strong roster next year. I don't see him bolting and I don't envision a lot of suitors out there.

11 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

How much money would it take for another school to convince Travis to abandon what he's building at SLU (even in spite of situations slowing down the process) only to start another rebuilding process from scratch at another school?  I don't think it's especially likely.

I'm pretty sure any P5 school that wanted Travis as their HC would pay more than SLU unless Dr. C got out his checkbook. It might not even take much if Ford thinks he's working for a bunch of incompetents.

Travis is going to have to reach a couple of Sweet 16s before he can move on.  He has a track record at a P5 program of not advancing in the tournament.  He has to show the programs that he would leave for that he can win in the tournament and show it is more than a one year fluke.  I think Travis can have great success here, but he has to have that success before he will get a head job worth leaving for.  Right now, Jim Crews has 3 times as many tournament wins as Ford.

TheOne likes this

I just checked CBS's hot seat coaching list. The Carousel will not have as many empty seats as last year. This could change as some of the coaches may get caught up in the FBI scandal; Pearl, Miller at AZ, Enfield at USC. Also, Izzo might be in jeopardy if the MSU scandals go against him. So, that's a plus for us keeping Travis.

Question really becomes who are the hot coaches in waiting. Typically there seems to be a solid group ready to make the move up from a mid to the P5. Doesn't seem to me there are that many this year. From the A10 I could see Hurley moving up in grade especially if schools like UConn, BC, Pitt, Penn St, or St. John's come calling. Overall, though, it should be a fairly quiet year for A10 coaching movements.

While Travis may not be a one of the "hot" mid coaches, I can still see some schools giving him a look. Hopefully that's all he gets.

Dr. C isn't the only major contributor to the program.  To his right are the TV broadcasters.  To their right are Novelli and company.  They also contribute big bucks, but don't get the notoriety C does.  I am not sure how much influence they have in decision-making for the program

3 minutes ago, papal said:

Dr. C isn't the only major contributor to the program.  To his right are the TV broadcasters.  To their right are Novelli and company.  They also contribute big bucks, but don't get the notoriety C does.  I am not sure how much influence they have in decision-making for the program

Get to a game early enough and you’ll notice Doc C and Ross C tossing up shots with the players, chatting courtside with C-May, and talking game plan with the Coach. As Frank said/says “Chris May does the leg work, but Chaifetz has to look everyone in the eyes - and they know who pays the bills”.  

Point being: if T Ford proves himself, Chaifetz will do whatever necessary to keep him around.  He’s hungry for a deep tournament run.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I get what your saying, but Travis' ticket to an elite coaching job is to take this current team deep into the NCAA tourney in the next few years. It certainly looks like he is primed to do so, if the administration doesn't interfere.

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I just checked CBS's hot seat coaching list. The Carousel will not have as many empty seats as last year. This could change as some of the coaches may get caught up in the FBI scandal; Pearl, Miller at AZ, Enfield at USC. Also, Izzo might be in jeopardy if the MSU scandals go against him. So, that's a plus for us keeping Travis.

Question really becomes who are the hot coaches in waiting. Typically there seems to be a solid group ready to make the move up from a mid to the P5. Doesn't seem to me there are that many this year. From the A10 I could see Hurley moving up in grade especially if schools like UConn, BC, Pitt, Penn St, or St. John's come calling. Overall, though, it should be a fairly quiet year for A10 coaching movements.

While Travis may not be a one of the "hot" mid coaches, I can still see some schools giving him a look. Hopefully that's all he gets.

Don't worry, some lower level coach will pull off an upset or two in the NCAA Tourney and suddenly become the flavor of the month, hot young coaching candidate - think John Groce.

17 minutes ago, ACE said:

Don't worry, some lower level coach will pull off an upset or two in the NCAA Tourney and suddenly become the flavor of the month, hot young coaching candidate - think John Groce.

-yep, every year some coach makes millions doing exactly this, how many flame out and how many do well? 

40 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

If you believe some here, the fact that Guy Phillips is still the announcer suggests Tucci still has at least some involvement.

Tucci was an in studio guest of Guy last week on his new radio show.

6 hours ago, slu72 said:

I'm pretty sure any P5 school that wanted Travis as their HC would pay more than SLU unless Dr. C got out his checkbook. It might not even take much if Ford thinks he's working for a bunch of incompetents.

heres the thing about P5. it sounds fun and all, but theres a price to pay(no pun) to coach there. Just because its p5, doesnt make it better than SLU.  The one think Ford kept saying when he got here was that it blew his mind how much talent is in the area, and how much of it was untapped prior by SLU. 

SLU has something WSU, zoga, dayton, whoever doesnt have, a big city with some of the best talent.  He knows this.  Going to your Oregon state or rutgers is not more attractive. period. 

It does suck that Dr. C Is really the only big donor.  This may be the single biggest issue SLU has.   

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Going to your Oregon state or rutgers is not more attractive. period. 

Oregon State's coach signed a 2 year, $4.3m extension in 2016 (for a total package of 6 years $11.7m). Rutgers coach signed a 3 year $8.85m extension a month ago.

Hopefully SLU can keep such arrangements from being more attractive. 

The whole urban being better for recruiting argument doesn't really hold water - as you pointed out with the SLU - 'zaga/WSU comparison.