Rich over the Bills

The Wiz

Welcome to Season 5 ....For me , this is like Season 5 this year ( is there still  basketball going on this year ?) Season 1... beginning of the year....Season 2...  9th game ...enough data to make real predictions...Season 3 ...A-10 conf play begins...Season 4....the emergence of Foreman and Goodwin...Bills trending up....Season 5...Goodwin off the roster  and return to a 7 man shorthanded roster.

BTW...the thread title is not a mistake (no pt spread)....even before Goodwin was dropped I had Richmond winning in a very close game (1 pt) ...using the trend line of the last 9 games ...we win....except that is out the window at this point. Maybe we will start a new trend line...we will see where the data takes us.

So where are we now? We are right back where we were before the St. B ...at C+....on the cusp of moving to B-....Of course the St. B game didn't work out and we slipped back. Then we beat LaS and we move back to the cusp of B-. ...You mean beating LaS canceled out the St. B game....not quite. There was 1 other thing that happened during that period of time.  Va Tech beat Va (you remember VT...that seemed like ages ago). That win along with our nice win over LaS canceled out St. B.   So a win over Richmond pushes us to a high we haven't seen in a few years...B-

Looking at this game ...even with Goodwin missing, this is still a very winnable game.  Richmond (currently at C) is a poor team on offense ...almost as bad as we are.  We have them beat on Defense.... We should also dominate on rebounds. Let's look at the report card......

....................SLU...............OFF.............Rich....................................SLU....................DEF..................Rich

PPG..............F+......................................D- .......................................A ...............................................D

FG%.............F+......................................C ........................................B+...............................................F

3P%.............F........................................F+.........................................C-...............................................D+

FT%.............F- .......................................D................................................................................................

Reb.............B.......................................F-.........................................A-................................................D-

Top performers in the nation

Blks.......French........58th

Stls........Gilyard........5th

Bottomline............This will be another painful  game where 2 offenses struggle to score....Rich offense=LaS minus the FT shooting.  We need to dominate on the boards ...Rich is not a reb team...we need to win this battle by 7....Stop Golden...hold him to 13pts....Who ever Gilyard is guarding...hold onto the ball...this guy averages nearly 3 steals per game....Keep TOs down...this will be crucial...we need to win the TO battle. And finally, make some shots...43/33/ 70...bad shooting = loss...

Again this is a very winnable game...if we come to play.

johnbj14 likes this

I am counting on zero more victories and in a way WGAF? We've seen future 3 years in a fairly enjoyable season totally hosed by S2. Repeal cut sentence to basically time served for the most important of 4 perps. If we totally suck rest of year it's a bad sign but don't think that's going to happen. 

23 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

You guys seems to forget that we won 6 games last year in a harder league with a worse roster than we have now, even without Goodwin.

Don't count us out yet. Ford can motivate like no other coach

Last year: Hines, Roby, Johnson, Crawford, Welmer, Agbeko, and Moore 

Current roster: Hines, Roby, Johnson, Bess, French, Foreman and Anthony

So... Crawford, Welmer, Agbeko Moore vs. Bess, French, Foreman and Anthony

Last year's squad also had Gilman and Neufeld for depth and moral support, even if they didn't play much.  In the back of your mind, you know they're there if you really need them.  This year it's just Markos Psimitis.

Also, last year's team had another four (really three) additional bodies for practices (because Foreman couldn't go in practice while recovering from the hip surgery), but this year's team no longer has enough bodies to go five-on-five in practice or prepare against a scout squad that is comparable in age and conditioning to themselves — they probably have to put practice jerseys on mangers and/or assistant coaches.

The Greek could be as good a three point shooter as Johnson. I think Bess and Goodwin have similar games. If Roby an French can stay away from fouls when they get beat and if Bess and Roby are on the mark I could see a surprise victory. Key to game Bess making first two jump shots early in game

8 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

The Greek could be as good a three point shooter as Johnson. I think Bess and Goodwin have similar games. If Roby an French can stay away from fouls when they get beat and if Bess and Roby are on the mark I could see a surprise victory. Key to game Bess making first two jump shots early in game

Agree with Bess starting off with success is a key.  He has been very streaky, sometimes on fire and sometimes you hardly know if he is on the floor.  For me our most irreplaceable player all year has been French.  He is our main rim protector we have and a player who can operate with his back to the basket.  We need him 35+ minutes.

Psimitis needs to play solid D for the minutes he gets in.  If he scores, that is a plus.  If he gets a rebound or an assist, that is a plus.  Be solid on D, play within the framework, take an open shot if it is there, and he will be okay.  We will be playing zone a lot to minimize foul trouble.

We will have six players dressed today who all have scored in double figures in multiple games.  Ford will have them ready.

8 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

Scary true.  When Bess comes out of the locker room on his game, we are hard to stop.  When he can knock down the mid range jumper and get his confidence rolling, it really jump starts the offense.

A great game for the Bills. We won this game on 2 stats...Rebounds and shooting...yes shooting....who'd thunk it.  A slash  of 58/50 / 57....Of course I don't care how good your shooting is.... your FG% should never be higher than your FT %.  But it didn't cost us the game so we will move on  with a footnote to improve that stat because some night when we are not shooting in the 50s we will need those FTs. The other stat we killed was rebounds ...I said we needed to dominate on the boards ..win by at least 7 boards....we finished with a 14 reb advantage.  While we were expected to dominate on the boards ...we super dominated and did so WITHOUT our leading rebounder.  On TOs we came in with a very nice 12....but the Spiders made very few mistakes with a very low 7 TOs....a more normal number and the game would have been a Bills blowout ( this was an area we missed Goodwin)  On the Def side we held their leading scorer Golden to 5 Pts....less than a 1/3 of his usual amount....a fabulous job...also top 5 stealer Gilyard was held to zero...another good job.

I had said in the original post....bad shooting = loss....conversely   good shooting = win...this was one of our best shooting games of the year and it paid off.  If we can stay hot we can still have a decent season....stay tuned for the Dayton forecast to see whether we moved up to B-.

The really good result of this year for SLU will be to have our Freshman core (Goodwin and French) getting a year of playing against great odds, and having to  develop the stamina to be able to play the whole game straight. The same applies to the transfers Bess and Foreman both of which have improved a lot, and to Johnson. Of course, Goodwin will not be back until May (and a very good thing it is that he is coming back in May)and the odds against SLU have increased since his departure. However, tonight we played a very good game with great spirit. If we can continue doing this next year team will be superb after the integration of Thatch, Gordon, and Pearson, plus anyone else they manage to get in the spring. Ford is proving once more that he can coach and inspire the team. I do hope we go up to B-, I think we deserve this upgrade.

8 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Hey Wiz, if we are a B- by the end of the season, does that set us up to be a potential A team next year?

To finish at B- by the end of the season,  we would need at least 3 more wins....no easy feat.

With that finish, we would have the potential to reach A- next season....if everything fell together just right...again not an easy feat......as we have seen this season.