OT: Bill Walton

brianstl

The ultimate Blazer on and off the court. What a long, strange trip this evening has been. Phil Lesh and Bobby Weir shooting jumpers before the game in true West LA Fadeaway form! Remember when Walton toured with the Dead for a year? Can you even imagine his acid test? 

Saw Bill Walton and UCLA win the NCAA Championship at the old Arena when they beat Memphis State (yes that was their school name back then). I seem to recall Bill had something like 44 points. He missed one shot, a tip in. Back then I had SLU season tickets that allowed me to purchase tickets for the Final Four.

26 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Saw Bill Walton and UCLA win the NCAA Championship at the old Arena when they beat Memphis State (yes that was their school name back then). I seem to recall Bill had something like 44 points. He missed one shot, a tip in. Back then I had SLU season tickets that allowed me to purchase tickets for the Final Four.

I also was there. You are right,missed one shot. 

Two of the greatest college games I've ever seen were, first, the '74 Notre Dame - UCLA game where ND broke UCLA's 88-game winning streak. One of the weirdest last four mins of a game you'll ever see. UCLA was clearly the better team, leading the whole way and up by 11 with 4 mins. to go.

ND ended the game on a 12-0 run where the Bruins misfired on everything, even layups and tip-ins, and ND made everything they looked at. It was a shocking ending which sent me and my friends into fits of great joy.

The second was the '74 National Semifinals game against NC State, played at the Greensboro Coliseum. I grew up in ACC country and you can count on the fact that the team we all hated with a passion was UCLA. UNC fans would pull for Duke to beat them and Duke fans would pull for UNC. That's how much the hate consumed us about UCLA. Anyway, State, led by the great David Thompson, came back twice, once in regulation, then from 7 down in double OT to win. Greatest finish I've ever seen.

As an aside, my Mom was a Red Cross nurse who often provided medical care for the Coliseum during special events. She got the plum assignment of the National Semifinals, and following the State UCLA game, John Wooden's wife fell ill. They took her to the First Aid room and my Mom provided her with care. A short time later, Coach Wooden came in to check on her and my mom gave him the rundown on what had taken place. Eventually, she was sent to the ER and spent a night in the local hospital. What a cool spot to be in for a lady who knew more about sports in that era than about any 10 ladies you could find anywhere else.

almaman likes this