A10 Freshmen

HoosierPal

We all agree that the A10 as a whole is down this year.  The A10 has 8 to 9 solid freshman, so the future looks good.

I looked at how the top tier of freshmen are doing in conference games.  Below is where each currently rank in conference games. I cut the list at top 25 for each category.

Crutcher, Dayton - 25th ppg, 2 FTG%, 15th%, 5th 3FG%, 25th FT%

French, SLU - 9th rpg, 2nd blg, 10th FG%

Funk, St. Joseph - 6th 3FG%

Gilyard, Richmond - 5th apg, 1st, spg

Golden, Richmond - 15th ppg, 16th rpg, 7th bpg, 19th FG%, 15th FT%

Goodwin, SLU - 2nd rpg, 12 apg, 13th bpg, 4th spg.

Grady, Davidson - 9th ppg, 12 FG%, 10th 3FG%, 9th FT%

Pierre, UMass - 19th ppg, 22nd FG%, 4th 3FG%, 19th FT%

Williams JR, Duquesne - 18th ppg, 6th rpg, 7th 3FG%, 18th FT%

Care to handicap the A10 Rookie of the Year? 

mjhawkinsmd likes this

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We all agree that the A10 as a whole is down this year.  The A10 has 8 to 9 solid freshman, so the future looks good.

I looked at how the top tier of freshmen are doing in conference games.  Below is where each currently rank in conference games. I cut the list at top 25 for each category.

Crutcher, Dayton - 25th ppg, 2 FTG%, 15th%, 5th 3FG%, 25th FT%

French, SLU - 9th rpg, 2nd blg, 10th FG%

Funk, St. Joseph - 6th 3FG%

Gilyard, Richmond - 5th apg, 1st, spg

Golden, Richmond - 15th ppg, 16th rpg, 7th bpg, 19th FG%, 15th FT%

Goodwin, SLU - 2nd rpg, 12 apg, 13th bpg, 4th spg.

Grady, Davidson - 9th ppg, 12 FG%, 10th 3FG%, 9th FT%

Pierre, UMass - 19th ppg, 22nd FG%, 4th 3FG%, 19th FT%

Williams JR, Duquesne - 18th ppg, 6th rpg, 7th 3FG%, 18th FT%

Care to handicap the A10 Rookie of the Year? 

If Goodwin keeps trending upward, I don't see how he cant be in contention for ROY

Do they just consider conference games or the entire season? When looking at the entire season, I'd say it is a toss up between Richmond's Golden, and Duquesne' Williams JR, since ppg is probably the stat that carries the most weight, and both of these guys also have good rebounding stats.

However, in my biased opinion, Goodwin is more valuable than all of them, and should have the best college career.

3 hours ago, David King said:

Do they just consider conference games or the entire season? When looking at the entire season, I'd say it is a toss up between Richmond's Golden, and Duquesne' Williams JR, since ppg is probably the stat that carries the most weight, and both of these guys also have good rebounding stats.

However, in my biased opinion, Goodwin is more valuable than all of them, and should have the best college career.

That's a good question on the games considered, and one I have no answer.  I'm not even sure if the Coaches and/or the Beat Reporters do the voting.  Perhaps Stu would have answers.

Whichever the case, the Coaches or Beat Writers will only see each team besides their own one or two times. So i imagine they review stats prior to voting? I agree that scoring is likely the first criteria used.  I would hope that where the team finishes in the Conference has some bearing.  A player whose team has a top four, or top half finish should have more merit for the player than a 14th place finish.