GDT La Salle vs SLU

CBFan

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:
  • at the end of the game, as the lasalle bigs fouled out and the billikens had the lead, lasalle had no bigs left to put in the game and chose to play all wings and points.   initially ford put anthony in the game instead of hines even though the sensible thing to do was likely put in the guard.   that's how much confidence ford apparently has in hines at this point.  

Hines has not had the year he had last year but of course Ford had no other options then.  Hines has been there when we needed him to be a body so good for him.  Ford has to go get some guards for next year.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

1-4 FG, 0-2 3pt, 0-2 FT, 4 rebounds, 0 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 2 points.

I could have sworn he hit a 3 in the first half. I remember yelling in approval for Hines along with everyone else in the arena.  His McBroom bust out move to break the press was also sweet.  He is not perfect by any stretch, but he is not the stiff many folks on this board make him out to be.

2 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

I could have sworn he hit a 3 in the first half. I remember yelling in approval for Hines along with everyone else in the arena.  His McBroom bust out move to break the press was also sweet.  He is not perfect by any stretch, but he is not the stiff many folks on this board make him out to be.

He is an intramural star playing at D1 . He will hit a shot once in a while but he does not help the team's chemistry when he is out there. 6-2 since DJs minutes have increased and his have decreased. Maybe not a stiff in your eyes but obviously a detriment to a winning team   He pays zero minutes if we had one other guard on the bench 

Hines has a shameless scorers mentality and limited court vision.  If you give him the ball with 10 on the shot clock he will shoot it.  Someone has to take the shot.  A lot of times Goodwin and Bess will look to pass if the shot isn't there but eventually someone has to jack up a prayer and Hines will always do that.   

HenryB likes this

7 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Hines has a shameless scorers mentality and limited court vision.  If you give him the ball with 10 on the shot clock he will shoot it.  Someone has to take the shot.  A lot of times Goodwin and Bess will look to pass if the shot isn't there but eventually someone has to jack up a prayer and Hines will always do that.   

Agree. That said I am glad we have him as we would only be worse without him with this year's  limited guard bench.  I think it is harsh to say he isn't a div 1 player. I would say not an A10 player. I believe there are a lot of bottom third div 1 teams that he would do well on.

43 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

He's a nice complimentary piece on a good high school team.

I appreciate what he has tried to do for the Bills and thank him for his effort but effort is all he can really offer. 

32 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Figures HP would say good post when someone inaccurately swears he hit a 3.  The stat line came from the box score.

HP feelings gets hurt when folks are negative about Hines.

Bob had him in the play of the game for his one steal, and when Hines broke the press 1 time and ran the floor was good.

You cannot deny that his game stats were not good.  4 rebounds 1steal is good.  1-4, 0-2 from the line is bad.  The crazy MY style run and miss shot put him on the bench.

All fair thinking fans understand that Hines is a valuable part of this team and that he has won some games for the team and I am glad he is a Billikens however he has limitations and hurts the team at times too.

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

Figures HP would say good post when someone inaccurately swears he hit a 3.  The stat line came from the box score.

HP feelings gets hurt when folks are negative about Hines 

It's just because he's a Crews guy. Don't worry about him. He'll be gone once the team is all Ford players. He didn't even think Goodwin would start 

Glorydays2013 likes this

12 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Weather scared some of the old ones off.  Turned out to be OK.  I assume you were watching the game on TV - are you in town?

St. Louis is a great city, but the only reason I would want to live in St. Louis would be to have season tickets for Billikens basketball. I live in NC, but I am going to the Richmond game next week. 

I understand there are many reasons for low turn out, including weather. Even with S2, this team is markedly better than anything we've seen over the last 3 yrs. It would be great to have better turn out. Hopefully, next year.

5 minutes ago, David King said:

St. Louis is a great city, but the only reason I would want to live in St. Louis would be to have season tickets for Billikens basketball. I live in NC, but I am going to the Richmond game next week. 

I understand there are many reasons for low turn out, including weather. Even with S2, this team is markedly better than anything we've seen over the last 3 yrs. It would be great to have better turn out. Hopefully, next year.

Like every other city and every other team people turn out for winners. All those years of suck took away the casual fan base. S2 took away some diehards, weather took out some from last night, Mardi gras probably cost a few too. 

To the non Billiken fan 14-12 isn't good enough to come watch them. 

You want to know why the turnout was bad just look at the last 3 or 4 years. 

Once the winning returns so will the packed house. 

David King likes this

So, on a lighter note, does anyone know what happened to the “shout it out loud” Kiss guys in the second half?  They gave a tiny LaSalle fan base a Mighty MOuse type of impact in the first half.  I’m certain they were all Goodwin could hear when taking the free throws.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

Perfect description, Hines had far too much confidence in his game.

47 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

If this team stays together (big if), with Santos, Gordon, Thatch, and Pearson joining the fold, SLU will be good for the A10 title next year. Add in a juco shooter and this team will be dynamite. 

+100000000000

People dont realize our freshmen are playing better than some of our best seniors in the day, with records to back it up

21 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

+100000000000

People dont realize our freshmen are playing better than some of our best seniors in the day, with records to back it up

“In the day?” Just stop this nonsense. People understand that these freshman have more natural ability than our players from the NCAA runs. Stop acting like you know something that other people don’t.

2 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

I also thought it was a 3 but must have been ruled a duece. 

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

“In the day?” Just stop this nonsense. People understand that these freshman have more natural ability than our players from the NCAA runs. Stop acting like you know something that other people don’t.

Do I really need to go back to posts from over a year ago where people doubted Goodwin and French would even start? Or did everyone forget how much crap I got for saying these freshmen would be our best players

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Do I really need to go back to posts from over a year ago where people doubted Goodwin and French would even start? Or did everyone forget how much crap I got for saying these freshmen would be our best players

So this is the account we’re gonna use for the week, ravs?

18 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Just because a hand full of posters thought that does not mean you are some sort of genius for believing otherwise.

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Agree. That said I am glad we have him as we would only be worse without him with this year's  limited guard bench.  I think it is harsh to say he isn't a div 1 player. I would say not an A10 player. I believe there are a lot of bottom third div 1 teams that he would do well on.

It might be "harsh" to say he is not a D 1 player, but it is accurate.  While I'm glad he is on the team this year that is only because of the need for anyone who can play a Guard position.  I will agree he has a shooter's mentality, in that he will not let misses impact on his desire to keep shooting.

The play last night that sums upo Hines as a player was at the 6:03 mark of the first half when he charged into the lane, into a couple of Lasalle bigs and threw up a prayer which even was described as a "wild shot" by DM.  It was at the beginning of a possession so the shot clock was not an issue.  How many of these have we seen this year?

Thanks Aaron for being on this year's team when we need Guards but don't think of yourself as a scorer.  Just eat up a few minutes to rest JG and a struggling DR and do so without thinking of yourself a Jett.

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

If this team stays together (big if), with Santos, Gordon, Thatch, and Pearson joining the fold, SLU will be good for the A10 title next year. Add in a juco shooter and this team will be dynamite. 

Agree and Pearson can do everything Welmer can do....so if Welmer is done due to injury, we’re still in good shape with a tall 3-point shooter....and if Welmer returns healthy , double trouble.

2 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Agree and Pearson can do everything Welmer can do....so if Welmer is done due to injury, we’re still in good shape with a tall 3-point shooter....and if Welmer returns healthy , double trouble.

Rammer was the host of the Sunday sports show on 550. Said that Ford saw Pearson play last week and was really excited. Assuming they all come I think we have a great class and you know it’s not done.