Gordon suspended after altercation.

TigerMatt

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

You two should have lunch and celebrate this new found appreciation.  70% of Valentine's Day candy.  Make it a special day.

Apparently you know Gordon on a more personal level than me and his activities over the years cause you no alarm.  So be it.  

Thank you for providing your insightful thoughts.  Hope your day is a great one.

You the man Coach.  Go Coach.

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Does anyone know who shot the video last night for Webster's Hudl page?  It would be the best angle I have seen to dissect what actually went down last night.  Not surprisingly the highlights posted cuts to another play right before it all happens.  There is a monster dunk from Gordon in the highlights. That play starts at about the 15 second mark.

https://www.hudl.com/video/2/13540/5a8675cb0428680db08b7182

-that was off a great inbounds play

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The comments about what people have done to Gordon were not directed at you.  They were there to let you know where I am coming from when it comes to Gordon.

-okay, thanks I think we are on the same page

13 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Unless coach is Earl Austin Jr himself I really don’t care what a local hoops “insider” has to say

"Coach" loves it when I remind everybody that his second post on this board declared that Gordon would NEVER sign with SLU.   :lol:

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

No worries Old Guy even if you did not like my post and checked bad post that is okay, I respect yours and so many others opinions on this board that when I get a bad post from someone I step back and think about what I said. 

Happy Friday to all.

Thank you CBFan

From Feb 20 Post Dispatch   

BLOSSOM GOES ALL IN ON GORDON

Jay Blossom has never dealt with anything like this before.

He hopes he'll never deal with anything like it again.

But in the moment, Blossom, the longtime Webster Groves basketball coach, is doing what he thinks is best.

Statesmen senior post Carte'Are Gordon will not be further disciplined for leaving the bench and making contact with Vashon's Mario McKinney Jr. at the end of the first half of their matchup Thursday at St. Louis Community College–Meramec.

Gordon was ejected from the game for making contact with McKinney as he rushed across the court to celebrate teammate Courtney Ramey's monster slam dunk as time expired in the first half.

The reaction in the gym was so loud and wild that many in the gym did not know the official under the basket whistled a foul on McKinney as he attempted to block Ramey's dunk. The half was not complete despite no time remaining on the clock.

Because of his ejection, Gordon was automatically ineligible to compete in Webster's game the next night at Pattonville due by National Federation of State High School Associations guidelines.

“My plan right now talking to our administration, talking to Carte, talking to our staff and people I trust, is to give him another opportunity. And it's not an easy decision,” Blossom said. “I'm not 100 percent sure it's the best but I got into this business to help kids. He's made progress in the classroom this last month. He's worked hard. We still have work to do, but we're making progress.”

The showdown against Vashon, the No. 1 small school and two time defending Class 4 champion, was Gordon's second game back after he was suspended for two weeks and three games for an altercation before Webster's 65-58 win Jan. 26 over St. Louis U. High.

Blossom has gone back and forth about the best course of action to help Gordon, a 6-foot-8 power forward who has signed with St. Louis University. Gordon is among the most decorated high school players in the country. Between his sophomore and junior years, Gordon was part of a state championship team at Webster, won a national championship with the MoKan Elite in the rugged Elite Youth Basketball League and helped Team USA win a gold medal at the Under-17 World Championships.

Last season he averaged 19 points and eight rebounds in 15 games after transferring from Vianney midway through his sophomore year. This season Gordon is averaging 18 points and eight rebounds in 19 games.

“He's got some personal issues that we're dealing with and I think it affects things. I know I'm out there on an island with him now. In my 29 years of coaching this is the toughest thing I've dealt with,” Blossom said. “I want to do the right thing. I know the easy thing would be to kick him off. I could justify kicking him off. I just don't know if that helps him in the long run. He's going to get another chance and hopefully we can push forward.”

Blossom understands that by not jettisoning Gordon from the team it gives the impression that basketball is more important than the principles he's built his program upon in his time at Webster. Blossom said basketball is the best conduit through which to reach Gordon.

“I'm not going to change anybody's opinion about that. I'm trying to give this kid who's had a lot against him, I'm trying to get him through,” Blossom said. “I'm trying to get him through academically, socially. All those things are more important than basketball. But I think if the basketball goes away it'll be harder to reach him on the other two and we are reaching him on the other two. A lot of people don't see that. A lot of people have no idea what he comes from, no idea.”

Gordon will be in the lineup when Webster travels to Hazelwood Central for a Suburban Conference crossover game at 6 p.m. Tuesday.

The No. 3 large school, Webster (15-8) won the Suburban XII South for its 17th consecutive conference championship. In that time the Statesmen have gone 112-1 in conference play, including a state-record 89 consecutive victories.

“I remember when we won the first one we came back (to Roberts Gym) and cut down the nets,” Blossom said. “We were 5-19 the year before and what a big deal that was.”

The No. 1 large school, Central (22-2) won the Suburban XII North to allow the two powerhouses to meet in what should be a high-quality matchup. Blossom is looking forward to seeing how his team handles itself against another top-tier opponent. Webster lost its matchup with Vashon 75-70, but what bothered Blossom the most was how the Statesmen unraveled after Ramey's dunk. From Gordon leaving the bench to Vashon blasting Webster with a game-deciding 13-0 run to start the third quarter, the Statesmen did not show mental toughness.

“The idea of that whole schedule was to prepare us for games like Vashon, Hazelwood Central and districts and credit to Vashon, we came unglued at the end of the half and in the third quarter. They kept their composure and in the long run it cost us the game,” Blossom said. “Hopefully we can grow from that and hopefully we're on the right path now.”

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

he more I look at Tilkowski's posts I get flashbacks of Triangle and Too. Could they be one and the same?

I miss the days of funny trolls like T&T or basketballcountry. Those were some good times. 

6 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Ah when I look into the face of Trollkowski, see more postcard than T&T.  Could be the fact that I remember T&T somewhat fondly at this point and Trollkowski seems to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.......

1 minute ago, JMM28 said:

I miss the days of funny trolls like T&T or basketballcountry. Those were some good times. 

-I agree that T&T was entertaining and no one beats basketballcountry, those were some classic posts

8 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I agree that T&T was entertaining and no one beats basketballcountry, those were some classic posts

actually the classic basketballcountry post was the one that box and one wrote telling the story of the life of basketballcountry.   imo still the greatest billikens.com post of all time.  

DirtyRican likes this

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

actually the classic basketballcountry post was the one that box and one wrote telling the story of the life of basketballcountry.   imo still the greatest billikens.com post of all time.  

Friendly reminder to give it a good post if you've got some available on the day. 

basketball country was an SIU Methdale fan, right? Since we're tripping down memory lane, how about Gruhels from UC? I always looked forward to his posts back in the days of the GMW and CUSA. He used to visit Billikens. com quite often not only during the week of the UC games.