Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the Duke Lacrosse situation:

N. C. Attorney General at the time, Roy Cooper added: "We believe these cases were a result of a tragic rush to accuse and failure to verify serious allegations. Based on these significant inconsistencies of evidence and the various accounts given by the accusing witness, we believe these three individuals are innocent of these charges."

Cooper said not only are the players innocent of the charges they faced, but there is "no credible evidence that an attack occurred at that house on that night."

"All evidence contradicts her story. She contradicts herself," he said of the accuser, Crystal Gail Mangum.

Now, regarding situation 2, are you effing kidding me?

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

The allegations are indeed disturbing. But I’ll say it again. They are only allegations at this point. You’re innocent until proven guilty and until the police release a decision on wether or not to file charges I’m going to wait to judge either party involved.

There is a lot floating around right now, but from what I've heard, it seems like there will be no criminal charges filed against any of the accused.

49 minutes ago, ARon said:

I don't think the current administration is interested in "appearing" to not tolerate this behavior.  I'd expect them to err on the side of no tolerance.  

Remember that charges don't need to be filed discipline to be applied.  And even if charges are not filed, it doesn't mean nothing happened.

At this point I don't care.  I'm sick of this crap.  If they need to have a gotdamn "this is how not to sexually assault woman, you idiots" class for new students then so be. 

Probably not the time or the place for the school to appear that they are denying a group of young black males proper due process.

Amazing.  Someone said that they had to sit through a no means no speech.  Sounds like the coaching staff needs to have a second session after that where they say "Listen, guys, just don't F'in do it.  Bringing girls back to your room is too dangerous."

Then we need another speech for the co-eds where the athletic department asks them to please stop ........"  I should stop now.  Going to get myself in trouble.  I'm just super frustrated with this whole thing.

51 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

AGREED

Regarding discipline, that is understood after what happened in 2010. But when you say "even if charges are not filed, it doesn't mean nothing happened", you have to keep in mind, even if there is an allegation of assault, doesn't mean there was an assault.

I agree.  Just saying that when thinking/speaking about the accusers, just because authorities don't file charges it doesn't mean nothing happened and no one was hurt.

Yes, there are Duke Lacrosse situations.  But there are also many cases where charges are not filed only because it is a he said/she said situation and they don't feel they can get a conviction.

Just something for everyone to keep in mind.

If no criminal charges, I would hope this plays out differently than last time. I don't think either side was happy about the essentially 1 year suspension.

My guess (opinion/prediction/whatever) is that if no criminal charges, the school tries to drop the hammer but ends up in a 8 game suspension 

All students at all universities should get more training on sexual assault awareness, prevention and bystander intervention. Sexual assault at colleges is a terrible epidemic and the frequency with which it happens increasing the rate at which young men are incorrectly accused (though the former issue of those two is still the much bigger issue)

HoosierPal and Billy Ken like this

It makes those who railed on Tilmon for getting an underage drinking violation in Columbia seem quite petty now.  I don't know why, but that really bothered me.

I hope this was just one big misunderstanding.  I feel most for Ford right now.  What does he have to be thinking?

More information needs to come out to see what exactly happened.  Let's not jump to conclusions.   These are allegations.  No one was arrested, so that is a good sign.  At least, I hope nobody was arrested.  More so, I hope nobody was victimized.

TaLBErt and Billy Ken like this

There are so many angles and quirks in a situation like this that they are a major problem regardless of how they are handled or who handles it. We all know that the legal system is full of quirks and technicalities, and that even if the players are found to be completely innocent in a court of law the University HAS to take some kind of action. The University has to act to prevent any further such events from happening.

It is true that we on this board are working on nothing but rumors and vague text messages, it is also true that none of us really knows what happened. That does not alter the fact that this is a major problem for the University with or without criminal charges, and with or without formal trials in court. The University has to act one way or the other to put a lid on events like these. I really do not see how the involved players can come out of this without major disciplinary action (to call it something). In other words they are not going to be put into a room and made to write the sentence "I will be careful and respect "no" for an answer." 100 times on a blackboard. We can certainly expect a lot worse than that.

First of all I do not know anymore than most on the board about this situation. That being said for those who think SLU has do something punitive even if no charges are filed I think you may be putting the cart before the horse.  The school needs to wait for the DA's explanation as to why no charges were filed. If the DA says there was nothing they could find to support that a rape took place then why would the school need to do anything. Now if the DA says the evidence was compromised so no chance for a conviction then that is a horse of a different color. 

CBFan likes this

Meh! SLU baseball players were always far sleazier than the basketball players. Why couldn't this have been 4 baseball players accused (and not guilty of course)? Can someone just say with a simple yes or no if [a particular player] was one of the individuals accused? I'm trying to decide whether or not to donate my season tickets...

Edited by Quality Is Job 1

44 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

I swear I'm being serious about this question, how do you say no to sex, after the sex is finished? That's called regret. 

Assuming this will be the guys' case. As it was for the first incident, no? 

ALSO, can't believe I came to check on this thread just to read a bunch of bickering about the Duke LAX case. Get a grip people. You don't have to change the world here 

Tonka likes this