Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Idk, someone heard it on the radio.. not sure if anyone has an exact quote?

Not a quote, but I read elsewhere that according to Frank, SLU wouldn't given Goodwin's dad a copy of the Title IX report, but he could read a copy at SLU. Goodwin's dad then copied down the report by hand to give to the civil rights attorney.

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Not a quote, but I read elsewhere that according to Frank, SLU wouldn't given Goodwin's dad a copy of the Title IX report, but he could read a copy at SLU. Goodwin's dad then copied down the report by hand to give to the civil rights attorney.

Just another example of the Gold Standard.

6 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Well it makes sense because I believe it against SLU policy for a Goodwin to use a phone to take pictures of anything.  

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I would still sue the school.

I think (in relation for Goodwin) this is what the school handled deftly.  It was unjust, unfair, biased, and maybe even a bit racist.  No justice can be reasonably found by their actions.  It did turn out to be okay business.

They cranked up the pressure and handed Goodwin a ludicrous punishment that (at the risk of sounding like an alarmist) could have absolutely ruined his life and would have huge, long-lasting impacts to his future.  If this went to court, SLU would have been at risk of losing a couple million dollars (not a huge deal to them in the big picture).  SLU created a ton of leverage by absolutely railroading Goodwin (and at least 2 of the other 3) when the decision was handed down. 

Goodwin could try to sue the school, but he would now have a lot more to lose.  He just accepted his punishment and apologized.  The statement from Goodwin makes it hard to sue the school later.  Goodwin had too much to risk and ultimately got a reasonable settlement with the school. 

Kratky and Weathers have a Gold Standard process where they create huge leverage over young, black teens.  That leverage effectively backed Goodwin in a corner.  I am happy he returns and relieved for the future of the basketball team. 

I am ashamed at the school, but ultimately they protected their assets and keep the player that would make them the most money.  They sacrificed the other three assets that had less value (and may lose a few million in lawsuits before it is all over), but they have the power as the judge, jury, and executioner.  They make the rules and choose how to interpret the rules.  Now that this is over, they can return to business as usual.

If there is anything to be learned from this for the players, it is that life is not fair (even at a Jesuit institution that likes to speak of seeking justice).  It is more important to be powerful than to be right.  If you find yourself in a compromising situation, then you might just end up compromised.

Coach314 likes this

13 minutes ago, TRN said:

I hope that Goodwin files a Title IX complaint against the girls on his first day back.  If he’s being punished, they should be too.

This actually has legs and would create a fascinating case.

It could also blow up in his face if it was labeled as an act of retaliation especially depending on what "School Rules" were violated.  There is no reason that he could not file a Title IX complaint against Kratky and Weathers (as oppose to the girls that were there).  The Title IX office also takes complaints from third parties and must investigate them.  It would be interesting to see how a complaint by a third party against Kratky and Weathers would be handled by the Title IX office.  It would be a bad idea for them to just brush it off.

IT WOULD BE FASCINATING TO KNOW IF THE GIRLS ARE VICTIMS OF A VIOLATION OF SCHOOL RULES, or if JGood violated an alcohol policy or something else that is essentially a "victimless" crime.

2 hours ago, BrockL said:

Isn't that the wrong date? I know it's such a minor detail, but I'll gladly point it out to further highlight SLU's incompetence in all this. 

I also emailed them about this. Said they may want to get it right if they want the impression of diligence in a case where there has appeared to be a lack of it. 

Seems to me that Jordan has decided to take his medicine and move on...probably a good idea. Now our hope is that our incoming recruiting class stays in tact and that CTF and his Assts. find us some additional recruits (guards) for 2018-19 team.

I am happy as a basketball fan, but disgusted as a free thinking graduate of SLU. If what we know about the situation is true....and there are no other bombshells in the report....then I hope my alma mater gets taken to the cleaners by the 3 other guys. This may be the only way for the Board to right the ship and get SLU back on track with it's mission. If there are no charges from the police, then EVERYBODY is guilty of nothing more than a violation of school rules. So disgusting...

BillsCPA likes this

11 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I think (in relation for Goodwin) this is what the school handled deftly.  It was unjust, unfair, biased, and maybe even a bit racist.  No justice can be reasonably found by their actions.  It did turn out to be okay business.

They cranked up the pressure and handed Goodwin a ludicrous punishment that (at the risk of sounding like an alarmist) could have absolutely ruined his life and would have huge, long-lasting impacts to his future.  If this went to court, SLU would have been at risk of losing a couple million dollars (not a huge deal to them in the big picture).  SLU created a ton of leverage by absolutely railroading Goodwin (and at least 2 of the other 3) when the decision was handed down. 

Goodwin could try to sue the school, but he would now have a lot more to lose.  He just accepted his punishment and apologized.  The statement from Goodwin makes it hard to sue the school later.  Goodwin had too much to risk and ultimately got a reasonable settlement with the school. 

Kratky and Weathers have a Gold Standard process where they create huge leverage over young, black teens.  That leverage effectively backed Goodwin in a corner.  I am happy he returns and relieved for the future of the basketball team. 

I am ashamed at the school, but ultimately they protected their assets and keep the player that would make them the most money.  They sacrificed the other three assets that had less value (and may lose a few million in lawsuits before it is all over), but they have the power as the judge, jury, and executioner.  They make the rules and choose how to interpret the rules.  Now that this is over, they can return to business as usual.

If there is anything to be learned from this for the players, it is that life is not fair (even at a Jesuit institution that likes to speak of seeking justice).  It is more important to be powerful than to be right.  If you find yourself in a compromising situation, then you might just end up compromised.

I suspect the deal made included a release of SLU by Goodwin. 

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I suspect the deal made included a release of SLU by Goodwin. 

Either way, Goodwin tacitly accepted the punishment and acknowledged his "guilt" in his statement today.  It would make it nearly impossible for him to roll back on the school.

It is 100% over from Goodwin's perspective.

22 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I dont think Goodwin has a lot to work with when it comes to suing.  The other 3 have a solid case.  Goodwin should just do the 2 months and move on.   Obviously this is easy for someone like me/us to say, tho. 

15 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

IT WOULD BE FASCINATING TO KNOW IF THE GIRLS ARE VICTIMS OF A VIOLATION OF SCHOOL RULES, or if JGood violated an alcohol policy or something else that is essentially a "victimless" crime.

Surely a 2 month suspension from campus would not result from an alcohol violation. 

1 minute ago, SLU_Lax said:

Either way, Goodwin tacitly accepted the punishment and acknowledged his "guilt" in his statement today.  It would make it nearly impossible for him to roll back on the school.

Like most of us would, Goodwin probably just wants to get back to a state of normalcy and focus on schoolwork, basketball, and being a college kid. Thankfully for him, in just a few months, he gets to do so. 

3 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Agreed.

7 minutes ago, TRN said:

Whoever the Title IX writer that people reached out to is, it’s time for him to do some research.  The SLU “Gold Standard” needs to be shared with the public.

I reached out to her on Twitter. According to her, the only way they could obtain the Title IX report is if they are given it by the players' attorneys. FOIA request can't obtain it due to federal student privacy laws.