Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

It’s embarrassing that SLU is letting these men be essentially labeled as sexual predators, when all of their sexual interactions have been deemed consensual (again, sans the camera phone, which was also apparently fine by the woman’s own admission during the incident). SLU’s continued silence on this is pathetic, regardless of the final outcome, or their reasoning for said outcome. Now here we are, and the women are labeling themselves as “survivors” — I think we all feel the same about that word — while the men continue to be held to the flames in the court of public opinion. Coach Ford is the only one sticking up for these guys. 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/26/2017 at 2:51 PM, Bills_06 said:

Dear Members of the SLU Community,

As a follow-up to my Sept. 26 message, I am writing to share my continued distress about the behavior behind the reports of sexual misconduct across the nation, in higher education, and right here at SLU.

We are better than this as a country and as a University.

For years we have talked about statistics:

• One in five women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college (Krebs, Lindquist, Warner, Fisher, & Martin, 2007).
  • The majority of these incidents (90%) on college campuses are never reported (Fisher, Cullen, & Turner, 2000).

While these statistics are disturbing, they allow us to observe from a distance. Behind each one of these numbers are people whose lives have been inexorably changed. We have to put a stop to this behavior. All of us have a responsibility to instill values and teach behaviors that aid in preventing sexual misconduct.

In recent weeks, we have seen more reports of sexual misconduct here at SLU. I think that’s due, in part, to our many programming and support efforts, the caring professionals, and thorough processes we have put in place that make members of our community feel confident that their accounts of sexual misconduct will be addressed promptly and that support for them will be immediate and ongoing.

But there is more work to be done. We need to do more to change the culture and climate on college and university campuses. We must do better to empower bystanders to intervene. We must do better to adopt the active use of effective consent. We need to look at the statistics as a challenge to do better. Normalcy should not be defined by prevalence. To do this, I need your help.

The University is committed to fostering a safe and supportive environment that ensures the development of a healthy mind, healthy body and healthy spirt for all. Our Catholic, Jesuit values require us to take courageous action.

Here are some of the new initiatives we are undertaking to expand our current sexual misconduct prevention efforts:

• This academic year, all students will receive a climate survey that will include numerous questions related to student attitudes, behaviors and experiences linked to sexual misconduct. We will share our findings with the entire SLU community and use that student experience data to inform future interventions and programs that seek to curb sexual misconduct.
  • Beginning in the 2018-2019 academic year, all students (new and returning) must complete the Haven Online Sexual Misconduct Awareness Training before they will be permitted to register for classes. It is available on mySLU. Haven is a leading online program addressing the critical issues of sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking and sexual harassment – among students, faculty and staff.
  • Provost Brickhouse will work with faculty to identify ways to integrate sexual assault prevention and awareness education into course curricula.
  • We will engage leading national and culturally fluent experts to provide consultation and training on our campus and to help us strengthen on our prevention efforts.

In the next few weeks, other University leaders and I will meet with representatives of the student group, Assembly for the Prevention of Sexual Assault (ASAP), and collaborate with them to identify other ways to more effectively implement existing and new programs and actions. We will meet with any other student groups that desire to be a part of our collective effort to eradicate sexual misconduct. As always, I welcome any observations and suggestions from all of the SLU community.

I ask you to join me in this effort. Together, we will make it happen; we must make it happen.

Sincerely,

Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.

President

It was one month after the incident and nearly three months before the ruling was communicated that Pestello promised the survey that they botched.

We will engage leading national and culturally fluent experts to provide consultation and training on our campus and to help us strengthen on our prevention efforts.

Same proofreader as checked the survey.

45 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

We will engage leading national and culturally fluent experts to provide consultation and training on our campus and to help us strengthen on our prevention efforts.

Same proofreader as checked the survey.

-'on scool', I guess like Santa imploring his reindeer

After reading that article I really am at a loss for words.  How on earth does SLU see this and actually find some way to uphold the suspensions/expulsion.  The only explanation is that the title Ix office and slu's leadership are completely incompetent beyond measure and should not hold jobs doing much more than greaters at walmart.  The only option for us alumni, donors, fans, etc is to email [email protected] and voice our concerns and demand change or risk losing all support/donations going forward.  In the end its all about money; if enough money walks out the door, change will occur.  I have never been this disappointed in my school that I love. I enjoy taking my daughters to SLU for all the alumni/family events they hold on campus, but going forward I don't see any reason to continue with such atrocities taking place under current leadership.  

3 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/09/the-uncomfortable-truth-about-campus-rape-policy/538974/#article-comments

“[My friend] knows I was with Kojo. She probably told all the brothers in the room, and they’re gonna hate me when they find out”—she didn’t explain why. “I can never come back here.” Her friend started teasing her, asking how it had gone. R.M. was a resident adviser in her dormitory—someone tasked with counseling other students—and at that moment, she wrote, “as my RA training kicked in, I realized I’d been sexually assaulted.” She wrote that while in retrospect she should have left if she didn’t want to continue the encounter, she hadn’t wanted to be a bad sport—“that UMass Student Culture dictates that when women become sexually involved with men they owe it to them to follow through.” She added, “I want to fully own my participation in what happened, but at the same time recognize that I felt violated and that I owe it to myself and others to hold him accountable for something I felt in my bones wasn’t right.”

This right here is the root of the problem, and I believe it is the exact same mindset that our accuser and the women in the Title IX office have on this entire issue of sexual assault. A woman, who engaged in a fully consensual sexual interlude, has somehow come to believe that because she was ambivelent about it afterwords, that she was worried about the consequnces to herself or her reputation after the fact, that some one other than her has to be held accountable. She further states that her conviction that she was sexually assaulted arose from her training as a Resident Assistant... The starting point for this entire nationwide debate about sexual assault and Title IX should really be focused on: why are women being taught such an infantalizing view of sexuality by these Title IX folks? It is scary that the accuser believes, in her mind, that she has actually been assaulted. 

I contacted the author of this story. She said that she has seen the SLU story but can't do it. She said she knows someone else that is interested and asked if she could pass on my note. I said of course.

She said  this case follows such a familiar pattern. Someone needs to warn college college men to never engage in consensual group sex.  Because regret can easily get characterized as "gang rape".

CBFan likes this

Does a small part of anyone think they have all heard on their appeals?  I have no basis for this other than my own thoughts but this would be day 10 of the player's appeal, 2 players already left the school as if they know their fate and it would make sense the girl would give a statement AFTER the appeal was complete and not before....

Again - no facts, just my hunch (hope)

5 minutes ago, Bishop said:

Does a small part of anyone think they have all heard on their appeals?  I have no basis for this other than my own thoughts but this would be day 10 of the player's appeal, 2 players already left the school as if they know their fate and it would make sense the girl would give a statement AFTER the appeal was complete and not before....

Again - no facts, just my hunch (hope)

It’s max of 10 busniness days for the appeal

Anyone remember "Mattress Girl"?!? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/07/13/columbia-university-settles-title-ix-lawsuit-with-former-student-involving-mattress-girl-case/?utm_term=.60719a34bad1

You have to understand, people like this are not only delusional about what constitutes "sexual assault," but they also have some sort of ingrained vendetta against men that has been fostered by the teachings of academia. It's a slap in the face to real victims of assault. 

https://nypost.com/2015/02/08/columbia-mattress-rape-case-is-not-justice-its-shaming-without-proof/

11 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

It’s max of 10 busniness days for the appeal

It can be extended for complicated cases. They are passed the semester break, there’s no reason to hurry now. Other then to get these dangerous sexual predators off campus. it would be an awful look to decide an appeal on or before the 10 days when the main investigation took double the allotted time. I think they have their answer. I think they’ll delay releasing it

3 hours ago, Curious Observer said:

Just signed up for forum after reading many pages on this topic.  Not an alumni, not really a fan, go to perhaps 3-5 games per year when friends with season tickets give them to me. so I am totally neutral on this subject. I was told of this board by a season ticket holder.  I am amazed by the passion.  I am interested in board's feelings on the following.  Assume all actions known and unknown were totally and 100% consensual, including taking and posting videos, pictures etc.  Further assume that someone, likely one of the females changed their mind and filed a formal complaint with the university. Further assume that no law was violated, and that there really is no actual proof of a Title IX violation.  If all those things are true, does a private Catholic Jesuit university have the right to say something along the lines of  "SLU does not approve of individuals participating in 4 on 3 group sex  and posting it on social media.  While we recognize the right of the individuals to behave as they choose within the boundaries of law , we will not allow students who demonstrated this behavior, which we believe to be morally wrong, to continue to represent our school ?"  Obviously this would have to apply equally to male and female participants.  Thanks so much for the very interesting content on this topic. 

If SLU was to claim they have a higher moral standard than the law and sex between groups or unmarried students is not allowed. They should make that clearly known to every student before they enroll and should policies and procedures in place to make sure students are following the rules. You can't claim to have a rule, know that it's not being followed, turn a blind eye to any discretions, and then make an example out of one group. 

Another grain of crazy. This is what my dad heard from someone close to the program, but I figured I’d give more fodder to reach 300 pages. 

He said that he had heard Goodwin wasn’t even there, but that it was taken on his phone. 

Beats the hell outta me. 

12 minutes ago, BilliKitty said:

Another grain of crazy. This is what my dad heard from someone close to the program, but I figured I’d give more fodder to reach 300 pages. 

He said that he had heard Goodwin wasn’t even there, but that it was taken on his phone. 

Beats the hell outta me. 

That could be a bad thing if true.

Just now, brianstl said:

That could be a bad thing if true.

If this is true, not sure it's a bad thing.  If he left his phone in the room or someone had it for some reason, I don't see why this makes him "involved."  This would be just another weird twist in the whole saga.  It appears the HO has accepted:  (1) consent to an act can be revoked after the act has occurred; (2)  a photo taken without objection can later be somehow considered a non consensual photo; and (3) a person's phone used to take a photo basically makes the phone owner culpable for photos taken with his/her phone even if he/she isn't present when the photos are taken.  If these are truly the facts, the decision and enforcement is mind boggling.  It will be interesting to actually see the facts and see how a real court handles this after the administrative appeal. 

1 hour ago, BilliKitty said:

Beats the hell outta me. 

Stop

17 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Stop

Oh I’m sorry. Did my 5th post of all of this 280 pages of unknown thread trigger you? 

I started it with saying it was fodder. Who knows what’s true and not.