Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I understand the sarcasm here, but I’ve thought for awhile that SLU could have really turned this into a true teachable moment for all involved and the student population at large.  Punish the athletes for the violations but then have the student athletes serve a role in assisting the university to get its message out about sexual assault/exploitation. Have the athletes acknowledge wrongdoing but also give them a platform to educate their fellow students.  Since these violations do not appear to be of the violent variety, but rather the exploitation side of things, i think the Title IX office could have polished this turd a lot more effectively. 

-I think the problem is they believe they have

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did any of the reporters ask Rosenblum if the punishment from the hearing officer was different from the recommendation in the report from the outside firm and he didn't answer it or was it not asked?  I would think with the MSU stuff and everything that just sticking basically with that punishment would be the easiest for SLU to explain themselves.  They can easily add on the community service hours to it assuming it was less but if they stray too far from the recommendation, I would think there should rightfully be a lot of questions on why.  

watching pesty in the student section saturday before the game was actually painful.   he looked very clumsy and uncomfortable and eventually just sort of slinked away, never to be seen near the floor the rest of the day.   what a joke.  

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

watching pesty in the student section saturday before the game was actually painful.   he looked very clumsy and uncomfortable and eventually just sort of slinked away, never to be seen near the floor the rest of the day.   what a joke.  

He sat courtside in the second half, iirc

1 minute ago, NextYearBill said:

im serious.... make them do basketball camps ALL summer for schools and organizations in North St. Louis. Volunteer at homeless shelters. Volunteer till they are blue in the face. That's a life lesson. That's how you correct a behavior. Expulsion will just further the narrative in their minds that the white man is there to bring you down.

Not just the suspension/expulsion, the process in general.

33 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I would think this is Goodwins parents.  Goodwin wants to play in St Louis, Goodwin wants to play at SLU.  The other players have zero ties to the city and really the school.  Why would any of their parents try to convince the school of anything at this point.  I would be so turned off by this random school and the way they treated their kid. 

I would agree with you. I also thought that Goodwin looked kind of "out of it" for the first time since all of this came down on Saturday. Maybe this was part of the reason why.  I'm surprised Pestello even accepted the meeting so that is a positive sign to me, but at the end of the day, I don't think anything will come out of it. 

I've been told Goodwin's parents were at the VCU and Dayton games, in the section right next to the tunnel above the "Parking Spot" seats. Maybe they met with Fred before/after the game? 

I truly feel for them, being completely helpless as their son's entire future is held hostage by the administration. 

1 minute ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I've been told Goodwin's parents were at the VCU and Dayton games, in the section right next to the tunnel above the "Parking Spot" seats. 

I mean, this seems common sense and obvious...

Local kid goes to local university to play ball....wouldn't it be expected that the family be at most, if not all of the home games?

2 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I've been told Goodwin's parents were at the VCU and Dayton games, in the section right next to the tunnel above the "Parking Spot" seats. Maybe they met with Fred before/after the game? 

They've been at every game all year in the same seats. Very nice people! 

Spoon-Balls likes this

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

He looked like a damned clown.  Took some guts to do that.  I hope the more tuned in students gave him an earful.....

15 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I truly feel for them, being completely helpless as their son's entire future is held hostage by the administration. 

they have never missed a game this season.

41 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I would agree with you. I also thought that Goodwin looked kind of "out of it" for the first time since all of this came down on Saturday. Maybe this was part of the reason why.  I'm surprised Pestello even accepted the meeting so that is a positive sign to me, but at the end of the day, I don't think anything will come out of it. 

Exactly what I thought.

I can imagine that the meeting with Freddy was probably frustrating to the family.

All of this has been over the top by SLU.  The punishment should be missed games, counseling, and community service not taking the players education away.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Or the police report. One of the bigger mysteries in this is why the police review hasn't been finalized and once it's finalized the report would have to be released.. The story about SLU's Title IX dept asking the police to keep the case open during the Title IX process likely has legs but I'm surprised the police dept/prosecuting attorney would oblige. Doesn't seem like its their responsibility to do what SLU asks of them in a situation like this. 

Kratky worked in that office for over five years.

For those who practice in this area of the law, what is the process for defendants' attorney to obtain the police report?  Wouldn't this be something potentially key for the defense?  I assume if it favored the accusers the police report would already be available.  It seems to me that if there is some tacit agreement for the PD to withhold finalizing the report this should be brought to light and they should be compelled to provide the report.  Honestly, this whole situation is a preposterous display of an administrative or legal proceeding.  Potentially withholding or squashing evidence, HO bias, decision rendered contrary to recommendation of those charged with making a recommendation, lack of clarity as to why ONLY the men are the subject of this "investigation" and complete lack of any transparency in this matter.  If the facts are as have been relayed on this Board, an appeal to a real court should result in quite a slap down of this process and the HO. 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, brianstl said:

Today marks my return.  Decided to go to the last home game I might ever care about.  I am pissed.

Good riddance! Take your 17,000+ lame-brained posts with you!

I'm sure the team was honored that you granted them your presence one last time.

Regardless of the screwed up school administration, this is a team that deserves fan support! Even though they are extremely under-manned, these guys have  been giving maximum effort for the last several weeks, and playing better every week.  Coach Ford is doing a great job. If they had the same turnout at the VCU game as the Dayton game, the Billikens probably would have won that game.. You want Goodwin to come back after his possible suspension? Then show him some love by filling the stands while you can.

This is one of my favorite teams in several years! F' it! I just decided to road trip to the Richmond game on 2/17. I'll be the guy holding up the sign that says: Go Billikens! Fu(k brianstl and the other fair weather fans! #Billikens Fans For Life

1 minute ago, David King said:

I'm sure the team was honored that you granted them your presence one last time.

Regardless of the screwed up school administration, this is a team that deserves fan support! Even though they are extremely under-manned, these guys have  been giving maximum effort for the last several weeks, and playing better every week.  Coach Ford is doing a great job. If they had the same turnout at the VCU game as the Dayton game, the Billikens probably would have won that game.. You want Goodwin to come back after his possible suspension? Then show him some love by filling the stands while you can.

This is one of my favorite teams in several years! F' it! I just decided to road trip to the Richmond game on 2/17. I'll be the guy holding up the sign that says: Go Billikens! Fu(k brianstl and the other fair weather fans! #Billikens Fans For Life

Wow,  that's not over the top at all.....

3 minutes ago, David King said:

I am happy to see I am occupying such a large amount of space inside your head.

26 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Has anyone mentioned the thought that Rosenblum refused to represent the 4th? Seems off the 4th isn’t represented by the superlawyer 

It’s not like Rogers is some schmuck without any experience. He just doesn’t have the name recognition.

At the time, my thoughts were that something about the facts of the case made one player’s situation different than the other 3. That’s why you have different lawyers.

18 minutes ago, TGSLU said:

For those who practice in this area of the law, what is the process for defendants' attorney to obtain the police report?  Wouldn't this be something potentially key for the defense?  I assume if it favored the accusers the police report would already be available.  It seems to me that if there is some tacit agreement for the PD to withhold finalizing the report this should be brought to light and they should be compelled to provide the report.  Honestly, this whole situation is a preposterous display of an administrative or legal proceeding.  Potentially withholding or squashing evidence, HO bias, decision rendered contrary to recommendation of those charged with making a recommendation, lack of clarity as to why ONLY the men are the subject of this "investigation" and complete lack of any transparency in this matter.  If the facts are as have been relayed on this Board, an appeal to a real court should result in quite a slap down of this process and the HO. 

Since there have been no criminal charges filed, the players’ attorneys have no right to be given the police report at this time. I do some pro bono criminal work, and it takes a while before the prosecution is required to hand over the report.

23 minutes ago, David King said:

Haha. I've had some similar conversations regarding "supporting the team, these players deserve it, etc." While I agree with that sentiment -- Coach Ford has done a TREMENDOUS job, as have the players through this ordeal (8 players all season!) --  I still can't see myself digging for another live stream, or watching on TV, if the punishments are upheld. Some folks are able to separate the team from the university, which is great. Maybe I will be able to do that also. Probably will still be sucked into all the A-10 tournament games, for example. But, personally, I imagine watching any more games this season, post-Goodwin, would result in two hours of seething rage. A miserable proposition. Sorry, not for me. I think I'll have earned a break from the Bills. After that, I'll begrudgingly hope this doesn't derail next year's potential. though I would 100% be behind any player who decided to transfer, or any recruit who decided to decommit.

Lot of guesswork involved with all of this, since I spend an insane amount of my time on this board, and following the team in general, so it won't be a clean break, but ragging on folks in my shoes, as opposed to the university, which was done this to themselves, is nuts. We were all around for the Crews years, and older posters for even worse eras, but this isn't comparable to "fair-weather fan" situation, at all. It's more of a breaking point. Fool me once, fool me twice, etc. Not going to let the school just jerk me around, and assume I'll be behind the program no matter what sh-tstorm they get themselves into. Sucks, doesn't it? Maybe if the school handled this with an ounce of transparency I would be behind a decision or two along the way, but nope, hasn't happened. Truly amazing work by the university to reach this point. 

kshoe likes this