Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TGSLU said:

One thing seems clear given the current climate, Title IX cases are, and will likely continue to be, rampant among the educational institutions.  With regard to recruiting, then, it seems foolish for athletes to write off a particular school merely because there is a "situation." If a school doesn't already have a situation, it likely will.  What varies is how the particular school handles the process. 

If the facts are as have been relayed on this Board are correct-- consensual sexual relations among consenting adults (i.e., over 18) then the only real issue seems to be recording and posting of the activity.  If all parties involved consented to the actions, it makes absolutely no sense to hold the male participants in a different light than the females.  Whoever recorded and posted the actions appears to have some broadened culpability-- at least on the surface.  Who knows what the real facts are in this case, but as relayed here, the decision and whole process makes no sense.  If the consensual aspect is correct as among the parties, isn't pursuing action against only the males some prima facia discriminatory process?  At the administrative level this may stand but I don't see how a real court and judge can see this process as a fair process. 

If the second half of your statement is true, then prospective athletes should absolutely take this into account when considering SLU, it would be foolish NOT to do so. This is becoming a trend.  If Gordon, Thatch, or Pearson requested out of their NLI, I wouldn’t blame them one bit. It might even be prudent at this point. SLU, it appears, with the way they have (mis)handled the entire process, is crossing themselves off, among recruits and fans alike. 

1 minute ago, keyser soze said:

gravilst, yes that thing was bad, weird.  but it drove the point home..

I have never felt uncomfortable in my life until watching that video.  Having 2 daughter's may come into play...but still I just don't see how people could be so blind to observe what is right in front of them.  Then again...I don't trust anyone so maybe that's why I just didn't understand.  

Unfortunately, Title IX policies developed by SLU and other universities lead to two drunk adults having consensual sex being labeled sexual assault. With a broad term like that it is also grouped (some may even be confused) in the same category as the Michigan St. doctor and the creeps you have to watch on the "Protecting God's Children" video. The two aren't remotely in the same category but Title IX has turned it into the same label.

10 minutes ago, gravilst said:

I have never felt uncomfortable in my life until watching that video.  Having 2 daughter's may come into play...but still I just don't see how people could be so blind to observe what is right in front of them.  Then again...I don't trust anyone so maybe that's why I just didn't understand.  

I took the class several years ago (and maybe the video has changed), but generally speaking you should be suspect of any grown men that hang out with children at a roller skating rink.  I did not need a class to know that was a suspicious activity.

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

Unfortunately, Title IX policies developed by SLU and other universities lead to two drunk adults having consensual sex being labeled sexual assault. With a broad term like that it is also grouped (some may even be confused) in the same category as the Michigan St. doctor and the creeps you have to watch on the "Protecting God's Children" video. The two aren't remotely in the same category but Title IX has turned it into the same label.

Couldn't agree more.  

3 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I took the class several years ago (and maybe the video has changed), but generally speaking you should be suspect of any grown men that hang out with children at a roller skating rink.  I did not need a class to know that was a suspicious activity.

Yeah it had stuff like that...but also brought up priests and people within the church too.  I guess since the Catholic church's issues they may have changed the video a little (took the class 2 years ago).   But i agree what was shocking was the stories of parents just not noticing blatent issues going on right in front of them. But good rule of thumb...don't trust anyone.  

3 minutes ago, gravilst said:

Yeah it had stuff like that...but also brought up priests and people within the church too.  I guess since the Catholic church's issues they may have changed the video a little (took the class 2 years ago).   But i agree what was shocking was the stories of parents just not noticing blatent issues going on right in front of them. But good rule of thumb...don't trust anyone.  

I think you can watch the videos on youtube

31 minutes ago, gravilst said:

When I took the class, noticeably absent was any scenarios of misconduct involving clergy.  I am glad it is now added (clergy is a greater risk than creepy men at Roller Skating Rinks).  I probably will not waste time re-watching the video as most of what it covers is common sense.

2 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

When I took the class, noticeably absent was any scenarios of misconduct involving clergy.  I am glad it is now added (clergy is a greater risk than creepy men at Roller Skating Rinks).  I probably will not waste time re-watching the video as most of what it covers is common sense.

People forget most predators prey on people familiar to them 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

People forget most predators prey on people familiar to them 

Most fatal accidents are close to your home.  If you own a gun, that is the gun that is most likely to kill you.  Etc.

It is a good reminder though that familiarity does not equal safety and the two should not be conflated.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

This is not about S2, but it directly refers to the current social and legal climate about issues involving sexual misconduct. Are you aware of the Larry Nassar saga? This guy was a gym Dr. that apparently had sexual misconduct with at least 150 of the girls in the Gym at Michigan State where he was employed. He pleaded guilty and just received a 170 year jail sentence, a life sentence. The president of Michigan State just resigned as a result of this scandal. These are facts and yes the guy was guilty, but I am sure that a review of similar prior cases that pleaded guilty would reveal much more lenient sentences. The current mode in the country is one of close to zero tolerance for sexual misconduct, and for taking the side of the females involved whether the allegation is real or even questionable. I am just saying open your eyes and look around at what is currently happening in this regard around the country and in the news.

Similar case with over 150 victims of sexual abuse/misconduct, please let me know if you find any similar cases, i would be interested to hear about the sentences.

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

If the second half of your statement is true, than prospective athletes should absolutely take this into account when considering SLU, it would be foolish NOT to do so. This is becoming a trend.  If Gordon, Thatch, or Pearson requested out of their NLI, I wouldn’t blame them one bit. It might even be prudent at this point. SLU, it appears, with the way they have (mis)handled the entire process, is crossing themselves off, among recruits and fans alike. 

I agree with you.  It doesn't seem SLU admin could have done more to make this more of a debacle than it is. 

If Ford is the recruiter he seems to be, I don't see Thatch, Pearson, Gordon, and Goodwin going elsewhere.  If the ultimate punishment isn't Goodwin being expelled or gone for two years, I think we weather the storm.  The schedule for greatness gets pushed back another year, which sucks.  Hopefully we have a full Ford team before dies of a heart attack.   

TheOne, JohnnyJumpUp and GoBills73 like this

1 hour ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Similar case with over 150 victims of sexual abuse/misconduct, please let me know if you find any similar cases, i would be interested to hear about the sentences.

This. What are you talking about Old Guy?

20 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

If Ford is the recruiter he seems to be, I don't see Thatch, Pearson, Gordon, and Goodwin going elsewhere.  If the ultimate punishment isn't Goodwin being expelled or gone for two years, I think we weather the storm.  The schedule for greatness gets pushed back another year, which sucks.  Hopefully we have a full Ford team before dies of a heart attack.   

rich, goodwin would be expelled   he would just be able to re-apply for slu and his scholarship after the "suspension" period is up.    the same with the other two "suspended".   the one that is "expelled" will never be allowed to renter slu and get his scholarship back.  

after all are expelled, they forfeit their scholarships.   there would be no guarantee that a scholarship would be waiting for them.  and honestly it would be tough to expect ford to forge on for two years short these scholarships until the players come back if they even want to come back.   imo if the punishment is not reduced (hopefully to time served and probation) we will never see these players playing for the billikens again.   

HenryB likes this

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

rich, goodwin would be expelled   he would just be able to re-apply for slu and his scholarship after the "suspension" period is up.    the same with the other two "suspended".   the one that is "expelled" will never be allowed to renter slu and get his scholarship back.  

after all are expelled, they forfeit their scholarships.   there would be no guarantee that a scholarship would be waiting for them.  and honestly it would be tough to expect ford to forge on for two years short these scholarships until the players come back if they even want to come back.   imo if the punishment is not reduced (hopefully to time served and probation) we will never see these players playing for the billikens again.   

Until the fat lady (Weathers or Kratky or whoever) sings I'm assuming the appeal will be effective and will moderate this craziness.  It's amazing how all of the true blue Billiken fans on this board pinball between optimism and pessimism.  I am currently optimistic about keeping Goodwin and Gordon in the fold.  If Goodwin was drag-assing his way through these games or there was any indication of dissension on this team I'd be freaking.  The fact that they are all laboring mightily to exhaustion tells me that we're going to be alright if we can get a little common sense into the appeal.......   

billikenfan05 likes this

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Until the fat lady (Weathers or Kratky or whoever) sings I'm assuming the appeal will be effective and will moderate this craziness.  It's amazing how all of the true blue Billiken fans on this board pinball between optimism and pessimism.  I am currently optimistic about keeping Goodwin and Gordon in the fold.  If Goodwin was drag-assing his way through these games or there was any indication of dissension on this team I'd be freaking.  The fact that they are all laboring mightily to exhaustion tells me that we're going to be alright if we can get a little common sense into the appeal.......   

i love your thinking.   hope you are right.  

6 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I hope, I hope. 

16 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I love the optimistic outlook I just wish i shared it with you. 

I'm very much on the pessimistic side now and think we are screwed.

38 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

that's where I am on this whole thing. I simply can't believe the whole program will blow up because of the Kratky/Weathers model of the world. 

The only thing that worries me about Goodwin leaving is if the new transfer rule goes into effect and he could transfer this spring without having to sit out a year and his punishment (whatever it is) is upheld by SLU meaning he'd have to sit out a year or more if he stayed. If he can freely transfer and not have to sit out, I would be worried. 

I feel good about Gordon unless Goodwin leaves.