Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, gabriel said:

gives me a little bit of hope that the appeals process with three new faces will turn out a different result.

My concern with this is company politics. Having spent a lot of time in the land of non-profit academia, the politics are intense and many people live in a fantasy land where results are secondary. Who the 3 people are on the appeal panel and where fall on the org chart could be more critical than any facts or litigation. Reversing the decision of a person in power can be career suicide. Kind of ironic given the situation...

I have no hope anymore.  I am a broken man who has given his last ounce of fandom to SLU.  

Someone mentioned previously that the worst part of this whole fiasco no longer wanting to share their passion and love of Billiken basketball with their kids and I concur...it’s just not worth it.  Why scar them needlessly.

RIP Billiken Basketball...

4 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

My concern with this is company politics. Having spent a lot of time in the land of non-profit academia, the politics are intense and many people live in a fantasy land where results are secondary. Who the 3 people are on the appeal panel and where fall on the org chart could be more critical than any facts or litigation. Reversing the decision of a person in power can be career suicide. Kind of ironic given the situation...

Exactly.  Would these three really want to make Weathers (and SLU) look bad by reversing her decision? This isn't the court of appeals.

30 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I spoke with someone who works at SLU last night who pretty much said this happened. They stated the investigation saw nothing that warranted a harsh punishment but the hearing officer chose to go against the recommendations. I don't know it as fact, just heard it from an employee who is familiar with the situation.

F*ck Katherine Weathers. 

It's probably fruitless but I can't give up hope yet. I'm so emotionally invested in Billiken basketball that to have Weathers be the reason that my #1 passion gets destroyed is just not fathomable. Something has to/must be done. I'm not a big donor, I'm just an alum who started going to games with my dad when I was 5 back in the 80's. But I love Billiken basketball, I love this team. I'm a get sh!t done type of person and to be completely powerless to do anything here is agonizing.

larryhughes likes this

26 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I also fear that the suspensions are reduced but still bad enough that there's no point for any of the 4 to stick around. 

I think Goodwin will stay. If he does get suspended, he won't be able to play anywhere else until Fall 2019. He could come back to SLU and play then, also.

To be on the safe side, Goodwin should be inducted into the SLU Sports Hall of Fame immediately. That would definitely make his decision to transfer much more difficult.

My hope is still thinking about 2015 article. If the report does state a much smaller punishment then what we heard, what is to stop the lawyers from releasing it to the Post after appeal if it isn't reduced?  The lawyer in that case released details. 

40 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Fully agree with that 

I truly care the right thing is done for everyone.  This is an abortion of justice and I even think it is still unfair to the accusers too.  It is a mess all around.  If these reports that the HO greatly inflated the punishment from what was recommended, then it is even worse for the accuser.  It is also terrible for future accusers.

Littlebill likes this

31 minutes ago, David King said:

I think Goodwin will stay. If he does get suspended, he won't be able to play anywhere else until Fall 2019. He could come back to SLU and play then, also.

To be on the safe side, Goodwin should be inducted into the SLU Sports Hall of Fame immediately. That would definitely make his decision to transfer much more difficult.

My worry is that this mishap causes Goodwin to see SLU as a school that doesn't support him or the basketball team. I could see him questioning why he would want to come back & play for this school after they tried their hardest to kick him and other teammates off campus. I think Ford can do a good job of selling him on the city, but I wouldn't blame him for looking for greener pastures. The young man tried and succeeded at making Saint Louis University a destination for local basketball players, but SLU did nothing except kick him to the curb. 

thetorch and LongLiveLisch like this

11 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I truly care the right thing is done for everyone.  This is an abortion of justice and I even think it is still unfair to the accusers too.  It is a mess all around.  If these reports that the HO greatly inflated the punishment from what was recommended, then it is even worse for the accuser.  It is also terrible for future accusers.

This is an excellent point. It could have a chilling effect.

1 hour ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I spoke with someone who works at SLU last night who pretty much said this happened. They stated the investigation saw nothing that warranted a harsh punishment but the hearing officer chose to go against the recommendations. I don't know it as fact, just heard it from an employee who is familiar with the situation.

I really hate to stereotype based on limited information, but what the hell. Some people thrive on being the victim, and it seems to me that Weathers fits that profile. If her harsh punishment gets reduced it validates that victimhood narrative. There are certainly people who experience significant hardships, but artificial victimhood dilutes the real problems and weakens those voices. 

31 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

The young man tried and succeeded at making Saint Louis University a destination for local basketball players, but SLU did nothing except kick him to the curb. 

maybe all those local HS and AAU coaches were right after all.... 

2 hours ago, David King said:

Goodwin has never transferred before and would be able to transfer next season without sitting out under the rule it looks like the NCAA will implement.

4 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

If that is true, it is the perfect setup for a racial discrimination case.

Q: .Dr pestello, you decided to hire an outside investigative body to ensure a fair and unbiased investigation of this matter? A: Yes

Q: To conduct the investigation you hired a large Philadelphia law firm with a reputation for conducting thorough and fair investigations into these types of matters? A: Yes

Q: You did so, so you knew you would be able to rely on their findings and conclusions to reach a fair and unbiased decision in this matter? A: Yes

Q: But when you received the report finding little merit to the claims of these young white women and that there was nothing these young African American men did to merit harsh punishment, you chose to ignore the fair and unbiased report?  A: babbling ivory tower jibberish.......

Someone from SLU better grow some balls and step in and make this right or it will cost them millions.

Guys, the players are in good hands with their lawyers.  Our only hope is the appeals process at this point.    

There were so many stakeholders that were let down by a process full of man-hating bleeding hearts.  I had no idea of the scope of the unfairness and lack of impartiality.  I feel bad for Ford, the current players, the suspended players, their affected families, fans, donors, and even the alleged victims.  This investigative outcome was way too public and shrouded with federal guidance that was tainted in the past by an agenda controlled by social justice warriors.  Universities must demand from the Dept. of Education more independence in handling these matters themselves.  SLU should have made sure their Title IX program was unbiased and impartial. 

Pestello can still make this right.  It's going to take leadership, judgement, and thinking outside the box...and some money.  Let's see if he can rise to the occasion.      

Furthermore,

IF it is to believed that one of the players videotaped the consensual group sex without the girls knowledge, how is that the other players' fault?  If one person videotaped it and one person posted it, then shouldn't one person be held accountable for that?  If anything, what is to say the other players weren't victims too?

It's all crazy.

Rosenblum needs to have the accused report their punishment as a Biased-Related Incident to the Office of Institutional Equity & Diversity.

According to SLU policy, a "Bias­Related Incident is any act that may intimidate, mock, degrade, or threaten a member or group or property based upon real or perceived consideration of sex, gender, etc..."

"A Bias­Related Incident is experienced by its impact, not its intent...Factors such as intent, context, and severity may be used to evaluate the impact of Bias­Related Incidents or Behaviors."

"Restorative Justice:  Restorative Justice (sometimes known as “reparative justice”) is a philosophical approach to justice and a social movement that involves a process of correcting offenses committed against people (as opposed to correcting violations of laws, statutes, or policies, which may be perceived as abstract concepts and not real actions). Restorative Justice focuses on the actions of individuals and communities involved in situations that have caused hurt or harm. Restorative Justice seeks active understanding of each victim’s and each offender’s personhood. Utilizing a variety of peaceful conflict resolution practices that emphasize relationships between individuals and communities, Restorative Justice allows victims of offenses to be active participants and encourages offenders to take responsibility for their actions and repair the harm they have caused."

SLU makes me sick with this stupidity and drivel.  Guess who handles Bias-related incidents?

22 minutes ago, Harry Lughes said:

Sat next to Mario McKinney tonight at WG game. Said top 2 MIZZ AND kState. "Slu got too much going on" wouldn't even consider it. 

Sure glad to know Mi$$ouri hasn't had any scandal the past several years.