Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The last exam of the fall semester ends at 3:50 today. Grades are final Thursday at 5:00 pm. When are we allowed to get an answer?

I have until Thursday to finish grading?  Fudge this.:P

26 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The last exam of the fall semester ends at 3:50 today. Grades are final Thursday at 5:00 pm. When are we allowed to get an answer?

When does the semester officially "end"? Whenever that is, my guess is that if there's no resolution then, nothing happens until the start of the next semester, unless the players decide to leave school and make this a moot issue.

I've brought this up before. The fact that 2 of the players are traveling to road games is a significant issue to me. If the players are cleared, the traveling suggests that the writing was on the wall as to the facts of this, and this should've been resolved a while ago. If they're found guilty of misconduct, why were they traveling in the first place? You can put this on the outside investigators for the delay if you want, but I think slu bungled something on this issue.

1 minute ago, SluSignGuy said:

Well ...there is no pleasing you is there ;)

now this deserves a "good post" reaction!!! :lol:

7 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

When does the semester officially "end"? Whenever that is, my guess is that if there's no resolution then, nothing happens until the start of the next semester, unless the players decide to leave school and make this a moot issue.

I've brought this up before. The fact that the 3 players are traveling to road games is a significant issue to me. If the players are cleared, the traveling suggests that the writing was on the wall as to the facts of this, and this should've been resolved a while ago. If they're found guilty of misconduct, why were they traveling in the first place? You can put this on the outside investigators for the delay if you want, but I think slu bungled something on this issue.

Just because classes end that is not the end of the semester administratively.  The university administrative offices typically close down for the week between Christmas and New Year's Day but otherwise the university is open for business as usual administratively.  I assume at this point the issue of how the situation should be handled is an administrative issue.  I would assume and expect the process to continue over the semester break.  And I agree with Cowboy's clarification of my comments.  The university really should do everything possible to decide this matter in time for the players to transfer if that is what they decide to do after the matter is concluded.  Once the investigation was completed, whatever the length and complexity of the matter, I would sure hope everything possible is being done to decide the matter in a timely manner so the players can move on/transfer if that is what they decide to do.  There was the comment period following the filing of the investigator's report, and no doubt there will be an appeal period following the hearing officer's decision, but I would hope that all of that could be completed in a timely manner to permit the students to then make their own decision about what they want to do.

29 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

If there is no decision by the start of conference, the kids would be better off just transferring so they can get on with their lives.

would not be mad at them at all. this has been the most god damn ridiculous BS I've ever had the displeasure to concern myself with. 

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I'm convinced the school wants the players to transfer so that they don't have to make a decision. 

I believe the university has to make a decision whether the students stay or transfer, but if the students transfer there will be less awareness of any decision.  So your point is still valid.  But the decision to hire arguably the best investigator out there makes me think the university assumed it would have to make a decision and defend it (or at least give the appearance of defending it since they technically can't comment on it).  They've invested quite a bit of money in the investigation process.  If their hope from the beginning was that the players would transfer I doubt they would have spent that much money on the investigation.

2 hours ago, Wendelprof said:

I believe the university has to make a decision whether the students stay or transfer, but if the students transfer there will be less awareness of any decision.  So your point is still valid.  But the decision to hire arguably the best investigator out there makes me think the university assumed it would have to make a decision and defend it (or at least give the appearance of defending it since they technically can't comment on it).  They've invested quite a bit of money in the investigation process.  If their hope from the beginning was that the players would transfer I doubt they would have spent that much money on the investigation.

If the players transfer, the only thing that will matter from the investigation will be if there were any institutional issues that SLU must address. If the players leave, they’re no longer students and the university can’t do anything to them. What are you gonna do? Tell a former student that they can’t come back?

Just now, DeSmetBilliken said:

If the players transfer, the only thing that will matter from the investigation will be if there were any institutional issues that SLU must address. If the players leave, they’re no longer students and the university can’t do anything to them. What are you gonna do? Tell a former student that they can’t come back?

Willie Reed knows about this 

30 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don't know if it is a matter of federal law or state law, but some universities take the position that if the Title IX complaint results in a finding of misconduct and punishment, a note that the student was disciplined for violating the student handbook is put on the student's transcript.  You are correct, as a practical matter the university can't do anything to the student, but they can do something - and may be legally required to do something - to the student's SLU transcript.