Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this tweet thread contains a fan not unlike one of us, agreeing with AD about big win and saying can't wait till you're out there. Replying to that our guy says he prays it's soon. That tells us essentially nothing we didn't already have first week of fall except that one of four accused is treated more leniently than the rest. I can see where it seems to favor him knowing more than us and thinks he'll be out playing but not a given at all. Amazing in this day and age something of this magnitude can be kept so under wraps as S2 has been.

On 12/4/2017 at 4:51 PM, brianstl said:

No I think they are going to say you don't have to worry about not getting treated treated fairly at our school.  Then they will hand them the police report from situation 1 and tell them the Willie Reed guy who did nothing was expelled from the school.  They will then tell them latest situation, also, has no police charges and a videotape that clears the players of any criminal wrong doing.  They will then point out that instead of protecting the players confidentiality, the school made sure everyone knew who they were by suspending them.

You are SLU President.  What do you do with your student athletes that have videotaped a sexual encounter on campus grounds where the women went to the police and a hospital and alleged some type of sexual assault?  Oh, btw there is also a thing called Title IX that requires certain processes take place and the process takes a long time.  You let the players play without the investigation and process being completed?  This isn't a court of criminal law.  You entered civil liability hell where players, accusers, and SLU personnel all have something to lose.  A few basketball losses is a small price to pay for due diligence.  

39 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

You are SLU President.  What do you do with your student athletes that have videotaped a sexual encounter on campus grounds where the women went to the police and a hospital and alleged some type of sexual assault?  Oh, btw there is also a thing called Title IX that requires certain processes take place and the process takes a long time.  You let the players play without the investigation and process being completed?  This isn't a court of criminal law.  You entered civil liability hell where players, accusers, and SLU personnel all have something to lose.  A few basketball losses is a small price to pay for due diligence.  

Since Title IX doesn’t require SLU to suspend the players, I wouldn’t take action that allows people to label specific players as sexual predators.  The suspensions did just that. SLU is supposed to protect the privacy of both sides under Title IX.  It is obvious the school has determined the players are not a risk to the safety of others on campus as they are still in school and allowed to pratipate in all team activities except game day activities.

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Since Title IX doesn’t require SLU to suspend the players, I wouldn’t take action that allows people to label specific players as sexual predators.  The suspensions did just that. SLU is supposed to protect the privacy of both sides under Title IX.  It is obvious the school has determined the players are not a risk to the safety of others on campus as they are still in school and allowed to pratipate in all team activities except game day activities.

Feb 9, 2017 - MichNov 16, 2016 - Julie Rosa, assistant vice president for strategic communications at Purdue, confirmed the four athletes have been suspended from the football team and are under investigation by theuniversity. "Under Title IX, igan State suspended three football players Thursday while the university conducts an investigation into allegations of a sexual assault complaint...

Jul 3, 2017 - Gators football player, Antonio Callaway, according to the Tampa Bay Times. Callaway, was accused of sexual assault in December of 2015. He was initially suspended from the team, but later cleared by the university. 

Aug 17, 2017 - The University of Minnesota followed both the law and its own policy when it suspended 10 Gophers football players following allegations of sexual ... 

Sep 18, 2017 - No charges to be filed after NC State sexual assault allegations.... “The student-athletes will remain suspended from competition until the conclusion of the University's continuing Title IX investigation. 

Nov 16, 2016 - Purdue, confirmed the four athletes have been suspended from the football team and are under investigation by the university. "Under Title IX, 

Under your theory, Michigan State, Florida, Minnesota, NC State, and Purdue mishandled the Title IX investigations.  SLU is not at fault here.  The players put themselves in a bad situation for themselves and SLU.  Let's hope it works out.  

cgeldmacher likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierBilliken said:

Feb 9, 2017 - MichNov 16, 2016 - Julie Rosa, assistant vice president for strategic communications at Purdue, confirmed the four athletes have been suspended from the football team and are under investigation by theuniversity. "Under Title IX, igan State suspended three football players Thursday while the university conducts an investigation into allegations of a sexual assault complaint...

Jul 3, 2017 - Gators football player, Antonio Callaway, according to the Tampa Bay Times. Callaway, was accused of sexual assault in December of 2015. He was initially suspended from the team, but later cleared by the university. 

Aug 17, 2017 - The University of Minnesota followed both the law and its own policy when it suspended 10 Gophers football players following allegations of sexual ... 

Sep 18, 2017 - No charges to be filed after NC State sexual assault allegations.... “The student-athletes will remain suspended from competition until the conclusion of the University's continuing Title IX investigation. 

Nov 16, 2016 - Purdue, confirmed the four athletes have been suspended from the football team and are under investigation by the university. "Under Title IX, 

Under your theory, Michigan State, Florida, Minnesota, NC State, and Purdue mishandled the Title IX investigations.  SLU is not at fault here.  The players put themselves in a bad situation for themselves and SLU.  Let's hope it works out.  

Why is it so hard for you to understand that SLU hasn’t suspended the players from the team.  They are only suspended from game day activities.  That makes me convinced that Early on that SLU determined the players were not guilty of the original accusations.  If SLU has made that determination they have a duty to protect those players from the stain of being labeled sexual predators.

the Goohers definitely mishandled their process.  It was a complete train wreck which ultimately led to most of the players being cleared by the University of sexual assault in the Title IX process.  It led to multiple players being falsely labeled as sexual predators, a player boycott and cost the coach his job for suggesting the players had a right to due process.

Callaway’s suspension at Florida occurred during the off season and was unknown to the public until he was cleared. The fact that the feds currently have an open investigation into the university’s handling of that case suggest Florida might have mishandled the investigation.

i really don’t know enough about the other cases in particular to comment.  I would just say because other schools might act in the same way, it doesn’t mean that way is proper.

We're less than four days away from the 20th anniversary of the "Festivus" episode of Seinfeld airing. 

Hoping for a Festivus Miracle for the three, rather than a continuing airing of grievances.  

Well, it's back to the grind here at Krueger Industrial Smoothing. Have a good one, everybody. 

dlarry and joe_davola like this

14 hours ago, brianstl said:

Why is it so hard for you to understand that SLU hasn’t suspended the players from the team.  They are only suspended from game day activities.  That makes me convinced that Early on that SLU determined the players were not guilty of the original accusations.  If SLU has made that determination they have a duty to protect those players from the stain of being labeled sexual predators.

the Goohers definitely mishandled their process.  It was a complete train wreck which ultimately led to most of the players being cleared by the University of sexual assault in the Title IX process.  It led to multiple players being falsely labeled as sexual predators, a player boycott and cost the coach his job for suggesting the players had a right to due process.

Callaway’s suspension at Florida occurred during the off season and was unknown to the public until he was cleared. The fact that the feds currently have an open investigation into the university’s handling of that case suggest Florida might have mishandled the investigation.

i really don’t know enough about the other cases in particular to comment.  I would just say because other schools might act in the same way, it doesn’t mean that way is proper.

That's a good question.  Believe that SLU hired an outside group/law firm to conduct the Title IX investigation which makes me suggest that SLU had not yet made any determination.  At the same time, somewhat recall Rosenbloom and/or his office using the term "appeal".  If so, possibly Katky's office determined the boys to be guilty and levied the suspension from game day activities and that the outside group/;law firm then may be considering the appeal of Katky's original ruling and/or is making its own determination.

Im going to report this just because, but AD is flying with team to portland. 

unless, he just happens to be flying home at the exact same time, which I guess technically could happen. 

NH likes this

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

unless, he just happens to be flying home at the exact same time, which I guess technically could happen. 

I guess this probably means nothing since he went to NYC too but I'm still letting myself get pretty excited about it 

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

What about Bishop and Graves?

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I guess this probably means nothing since he went to NYC too but I'm still letting myself get pretty excited about it 

Unless they're done with finals, you'd think he/they might stay home for this trip to focus on school work.