Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The discretionary interim suspensions have cost SLU 2 victories to date, Detroit Mercy (which played SLU without its Head Coach) without any reasonable doubt, and Western Michigan, more than likely (by SLU's Title IX preponderance of the evidence, 50.1%, more likely than not standard).

Future non-conference winnable games at risk, if the suspensions stay in place, are Murray State tonight, at Oregon State (in Portland) on Dec. 16, Campbell on Dec. 19, and SEMO on Dec. 22.

The bottom line is every game SLU plays, absent its full roster, is at risk. 

SLU's average game attendance for the 6 home games played is 5,835.

23 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Exactly, if the attorneys are this bad with basic grammar, I can only imagine what nightmares may come.

That wasn’t the exact quote. Roy left out the word “story”. Should read, “how NOT credible the accusers story is AT ALL.”

even so, still poor grammar and it’s missing an apostrophe. 

22 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Winter Break also helps avoid protests by women’s groups on campus, and could diffuse backlash from the student body.  It can cut both ways.

At this point, I doubt all the players come back.  If they do, it is the best recruiting job Ford has done yet (in getting them all to stay).  Dragging this out until Winter break significantly increases the risk that the players leave the school while filing a large lawsuit.  So much for justice....(and to be clear the kids should be severely punished if they committed sexual assault and delaying that punishment is unjust as well).

I guess the school can explain how they could not control any of this and they turned it over to outside lawyers who they could not be held to any expectations about timeliness or anything else.  I am less optimistic that plan would work.

billiken_roy likes this

If they leave are they going to be immediately eligible where they transfer? I doubt it and two of them have already used their redshirt year. If they are cleared I think they will stay. 

I wonder if Graves will be suspended for future games since he wasn't eligible to play this semester? If he is he might be better off waiting to play until next year and have 3 full years left.

2 minutes ago, slusam said:

If they leave are they going to be immediately eligible where they transfer? I doubt it and two of them have already used their redshirt year. If they are cleared I think they will stay. 

I wonder if Graves will be suspended for future games since he wasn't eligible to play this semester? If he is he might be better off waiting to play until next year and have 3 full years left.

Assuming academics ok any level  but D1 immediately eligible

Just now, billiken_roy said:

Assuming academics ok any level  but D1 immediately eligible

Just to note that Dez Wells was expelled from Xavier as a result for violating their Student Conduct rules.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/xavier/2014/04/24/dez-wells-xavier-settle-lawsuit/8111709/

He appealed later to the NCAA and was made immediately eligible to play at Maryland without sitting out a year.

Dez later reached an out-of-court settlement of his lawsuit against Xavier.

So there is some precedent for players not being forced to sit out an additional year although in this case Dez did not choose to leave, but was forced to leave.

4 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

If the players are cleared to play soon, is there any upside to letting Graves just sit the rest of the year and then be a sophomore with 3 full years in the same class as Goodwin, and French?

In my opinion, with the S2 three + Welmer, you like your chances in conference play + conference tourney. 

16 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

Just to note that Dez Wells was expelled from Xavier as a result for violating their Student Conduct rules.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/xavier/2014/04/24/dez-wells-xavier-settle-lawsuit/8111709/

He appealed later to the NCAA and was made immediately eligible to play at Maryland without sitting out a year.

Dez later reached an out-of-court settlement of his lawsuit against Xavier.

So there is some precedent for players not being forced to sit out an additional year although in this case Dez did not choose to leave, but was forced to leave.

Dez Wells was treated far worse then these players have been, IMO.

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Too bad he was talking about the Alabama special election. 

Can we please stay away from politics please edit this post.