Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Surprising that an Oklahoma spokesman came out with that statement providing unequivocal support for Anderson. They obviously took the opposite approach of SLU...

I have my doubts about Ford staying longterm at a school that doesn't provide him with that level of support. 

I not so sure how similar this situation is.  The University only said they are aware and gathering information.   The next paragraph is from the student athlete’s attorney, not a University spokesperson.  It is poorly written and confusing but that is how I read it.  

Additionally, the woman here is referred to as a woman, not a fellow student.  The reporting of the incident comes long after the incident here, and as far as the report there is no suggestion it occurred on campus.   There is no video evidence,  in fact her memory is fairly sketchy and suspect frankly.

I am not an attorney so I am not sure when Title IX comes into play here.

Here is another more recent Title IX case with Jack Montague/Yale. Title IX filed Nov 18, 2015 and was allowed to play the entire season while the investigation was pending until his expulsion in late February. He is now suing Yale.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jack-montague-yale-basketball-captain-expelled-sexual-misconduct-sues-school-n589311

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16071453/former-captain-jack-montague-sues-yale-bulldogs-expulsion

2 hours ago, Basketbill said:

I not so sure how similar this situation is.  The University only said they are aware and gathering information.   The next paragraph is from the student athlete’s attorney, not a University spokesperson.  It is poorly written and confusing but that is how I read it.  

Additionally, the woman here is referred to as a woman, not a fellow student.  The reporting of the incident comes long after the incident here, and as far as the report there is no suggestion it occurred on campus.   There is no video evidence,  in fact her memory is fairly sketchy and suspect frankly.

I am not an attorney so I am not sure when Title IX comes into play here.

I'm not an attorney but I did sleep at Holiday Inn.

You have to be faculty, staff or a student at a university (or other educational program that receives federal funding) to file a Title IX complaint.

Billiken Bob likes this

Misster Johnson!  Bang! He got it!

The guys just need to keep em sober, have them sign a "prenup", and preferably film it all (also in writing, of course).  That's wtf is goin' on.

Of course none of that would help protect them from prudism, monied interests,  or plain ill timing/luck. 

Read that NY Times link, and you'll come away thinking our suspended players are really getting the screws put to them. I originally made this situation analogous to a cop whose under investigation and gets hit w/ a mandatory leave of absence w/ pay until the situation's resolved.  After reading the NYT article,  I'm not so sure the analogy between the cop and the players is valid.

What is the bigger racket, search firms like Parker Executive or whatever these outside Title IX investigation firms are? I am thinking we might need to add to JMBox corp to also include these types of investigations. There is seemingly no oversight. Its a perfect business model! 

51 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Read that NY Times link, and you'll come away thinking our suspended players are really getting the screws put to them. I originally made this situation analogous to a cop whose under investigation and gets hit w/ a mandatory leave of absence w/ pay until the situation's resolved.  After reading the NYT article,  I'm not so sure the analogy between the cop and the players is valid.

It's a solid article. The main thing that came into focus for me is just how frequently, rapidly, and significantly the investigation process is changing, not to mention how different situations are handled on a school-to-school and state-to-state basis. The students themselves, both the accused and accusers, can get caught up in a whirlwind way beyond their control.

Like the lawyer said in there, the pendulum keeps swinging but never settles, and I don't know what the answer is.

50 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

What is the bigger racket, search firms like Parker Executive or whatever these outside Title IX investigation firms are? I am thinking we might need to add to JMBox corp to also include these types of investigations. There is seemingly no oversight. Its a perfect business model! 

Box’s neighbor Leon can run that department.

Look, we're all struggling to get through this ordeal.  

But as a wise man once said, "You may have a plan, it never plans out.  But somehow, ironically, it plans out."

And, "If you're always winnin' then you don't understand what it is to win."

Watch this for some #EpicLearn.

joe_davola likes this

On 12/4/2017 at 2:54 PM, GBL_Bills said:

Ask, and you shall receive:

"Dear Members of the SLU Community,

I write to update the SLU community on the Title IX investigation initiated on September 25, 2017. At that time, the University Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity began its review process, and we chose to bring in an external investigator who specializes in assisting colleges and universities with the investigative portion of alleged sexual misconduct cases.

While the University's Sexual Misconduct Policy states that the internal Title IX process (investigation, hearing, and appeal) will be completed in 60 days, it allows that process to be extended for “good cause,” such as the “complexity of the circumstances of each allegation, and the integrity and completeness of the investigation.” This is the reason this case has extended beyond the 60-day goal.

We expect the University will receive the preliminary investigatory report from the external investigator this week, after which the next phase of the process, as detailed in the policy, will begin.

I wish to affirm that SLU seeks to foster a safe and supportive atmosphere where all members of our community can flourish. Each of us must play an active role in contributing to an inclusive environment — free from harassment and harm. Additionally, it is absolutely critical that our Title IX process is followed in a thorough, fair, impartial, and confidential manner; and that the University provides support to all of our students. This is how we have proceeded, and this is how we will continue to proceed.

Sincerely,

Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.

President"

This week is quickly coming to a close... can we expect a late Friday afternoon news dump?