Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

I'm so tired of this nonsense.  

And now that it's causing us to lose, I'm not sure why I bother with this program.  Why should I show up on Tuesday?  Why should I donate?

Following SLU basketball is like getting kicked in the nuts over and over and over again.  We occasionally get a short break from it, then it starts up again.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Box and Won said:

And now that it's causing us to lose, I'm not sure why I bother with this program.  Why should I show up on Tuesday?  Why should I donate?

Following SLU basketball is like getting kicked in the nuts over and over and over again.  We occasionally get a short break from it, then it starts up again.

That break is only to allow the numbness to go away.  That way we feel the pain again.

NextYearBill and Westy03 like this

5 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Agreed.  The investigation (including the likely fubared nature in which SLU would handle the investigation process and the plethora of potential outcomes) is the reason I did not renew my season tix this year.  

11 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I don't mean this as a shot at you.  I feel the same way and my nuts are just as sore.  Every time I give in to despair I remind myself that If I wanted to pull for a team without any shred of morality, ethics, or consequences for breaking the rules, North Carolina is right there waiting for another sycophant......

cgeldmacher likes this

Maybe it's not a popular opinion, but I'd sooner quit following college sports altogether than cheer for a program like Baylor or Penn State, where institutions and the people in charge work to sweep the worst possible behaviors under the rug in order to protect the public image of their athletic programs.

Time to rant...

This has utterly been the dumbest and most insane process ever. The police put this to sleep weeks ago. There is nothing to see here except boys being dumb and girls being drunk and horny. The only reason it continues in my mind is the race situation that was a similar issue in Situation 1.0  These girls and their families are trying to railroad the young men because they happen to have better tan then they do. That is all that is going on here. Perhaps girls should think twice before getting drunk and laying down with someone of another race.  I don't mean to spout off but as a white man married to a black woman this is just silliness. If SLU messes this up it is going to curse the program for years. LET THE BOYS PLAY. Because at this point, nobody raped anybody..if they did..we would have charges, names, and mugshots....

jimbofive likes this

56 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

Correct. Under the new guidance released by Department of Education Office for Civil Rights September 2017:

Question 5: What time frame constitutes a “prompt” investigation?

Answer: There is no fixed time frame under which a school must complete a Title IX investigation. OCR will evaluate a school’s good faith effort to conduct a fair, impartial investigation in a timely manner designed to provide all parties with resolution.

From https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/09/25/education-department-releases-interim-directions-title-ix-compliance:

Crystal C. Coombes, the senior deputy Title IX coordinator at the University of South Floridacomplimented the removal of the 60-day window for investigations, saying it was “very, very rare” that the entire process could be wrapped up in two months.

I don't understand why the whole process can't be completed in 1 week. Interview everyone involved. Hear what evidence there might be. Determine what policy might have been broken. Give judgement/ punishment. Hear appeal if asked. Closed. 

HenryB likes this

28 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I feel the same way. This has definitely waned my interest in SLU basketball in general. I was thinking about going to NYC - didn't because of this.

This was actually the first year I've had all my student loans paid off and planned on continuing to use that money in support of SLU and other charitable endeavors. That isn't happening. SLU can't stop stepping on its own dick with everything from Pestello to May. It is so very frustrating. 

12 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Time to rant...

This has utterly been the dumbest and most insane process ever. The police put this to sleep weeks ago. There is nothing to see here except boys being dumb and girls being drunk and horny. The only reason it continues in my mind is the race situation that was a similar issue in Situation 1.0  These girls and their families are trying to railroad the young men because they happen to have better tan then they do. That is all that is going on here. Perhaps girls should think twice before getting drunk and laying down with someone of another race.  I don't mean to spout off but as a white man married to a black woman this is just silliness. If SLU messes this up it is going to curse the program for years. LET THE BOYS PLAY. Because at this point, nobody raped anybody..if they did..we would have charges, names, and mugshots....

Mic drop.

5 minutes ago, willie said:

I don't understand why the whole process can't be completed in 1 week. Interview everyone involved. Hear what evidence there might be. Determine what policy might have been broken. Give judgement/ punishment. Hear appeal if asked. Closed. 

Because there are lawyers involved. Everything drags out. 

I do not blame the lawyers or the kids getting lawyers.  Situation 1.0 took forever to resolve without lawyers.  The kids did not have lawyers and they got absolutely railroaded.  They were dragged into a kangaroo court and misled about how the whole thing was going to go down.  If the kids did not lawyer up, the risk of the same thing happening would be just as high.  If Situation 1.0 had started with the kids getting lawyers, it might have ended very differently.

I would say the most frustrating part is the lack of any transparency about it.  And I totally get wanting to keep the kids names hidden as much as possible but there is zero information if the investigation is going on, is it close to be concluded, do they have a timeline,  are they trying to end it by a certain date (60 days would be...), is the criminal aspect completely concluded or anything.  They toss the grenade right at the beginning with Dr. P's email and then hide behind closed doors.  

HenryB likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

That break is only to allow the numbness to go away.  That way we feel the pain again.

And even in the good times, there's always the feeling like the next nut shot is just moments away.  Like how a kid knows that an arse kicking from a bully is a matter of when and not if.

14 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I do not blame the lawyers or the kids getting lawyers.  Situation 1.0 took forever to resolve without lawyers.  The kids did not have lawyers and they got absolutely railroaded.  They were dragged into a kangaroo court and misled about how the whole thing was going to go down.  If the kids did not lawyer up, the risk of the same thing happening would be just as high.  If Situation 1.0 had started with the kids getting lawyers, it might have ended very differently.

Oh, Im all for the kids getting representation to protect themselves.  Did not KM and WR get a second year law student who saw all the documents 2d before the hearing?  Real fair, right? Im just sayin', when there  are so many lawyers around, it slooooowwwwsss things down.

mhg

1 minute ago, youjustgotKMed said:

well i guess you gotta think,,, what if they were raped,,,,, but o well,,, free da boys anyway!!!

They were not raped...Police do not take two months to file rape charges. The video showed there was no rape way back when the cops saw it.

26 minutes ago, willie said:

The boys are being punished with each passing day.  And it is quite public which boys are playing and which boys are not so I respectfully disagree that SLU has not commented on the investigation and therefore owes no comment on the resolution.  In fact, Dr. Pestello called a news conference to announce a Title IX investigation so the fact that SLU has not named names may work for someone on the swim team or a cross country runner but not men's basketball.  And transfers (Henriquez) and returning players (Bishop) must complete their 4 years of playing within 5 years, the clock is running a good portion of the preseason is over... so punishment is being levied out. 

Maybe I'm dumb but IDK why a girl would falsely accuse someone of rape,, i mean she has nothing to gain from it and its humiliating for her.  either way i dont care and hope the boys can play bc i want our team better but not if theres questionable characters on it and they may have already been word down enough to lose any SLU pride,,, KM wasnt quite the same afterwards.  Also the fact that there is even a "video" of the incident makes it worse in my opinion.   Ahh wtf they really videotaped it,,, did she consent to the video tape haha anyway it let them play and Beat Butler

milwaukeebill likes this

1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

Time to rant...

Regarding some (many) of the points in your post, I have to ask, "How did you get inside my mind?!"  I've thought about some of these aspects for weeks but felt like I dare not broach them on here.