Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

It's so dumb how the media works. First of all, its late.....Second of all, its just repeating what ESPN said, and ESPN is repeating what the PD said... its a stupid echo chamber.

9 minutes ago, davidnark said:

None of this makes sense; it is more stories without any new story. 

It makes perfect sense. Online content is "feed the beast." Just gotta keep posting stuff.

The parallel in my world is that I'll post an item about a new restaurant, and three or four other local food publications will post almost exactly the same item and attribute the original break to me. (At least in my world, however, the other publications will do something to add to the story.)

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

One thing about this SLU news story is that it originally broke around the same time as the big FBI bust, which was much more salient news to the national media outlets.

I think this is exactly it.  National media was too busy covering the FBI bust to worry about anything at SLU.  This is especially true given that there are really very few known details on this story (which is why IMO SLU has done a good job keeping this close to the vest).  Now that it is a couple of weeks later and nothing else is really going on in the college hoops world they're catching up.  No surprise that CBS jumped on ESPN's coattails to report it late.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see other national college basketball media types (NBC, Yahoo, etc.) parroting the same story in the next day or so.  

On 10/10/2017 at 3:00 PM, RUBillsFan said:

(which is why IMO SLU has done a good job keeping this close to the vest). 

The federal regulations that govern student privacy are so restrictive that they have likely released everything they are allowed to release.

On 10/10/2017 at 4:07 PM, Old guy said:

I think it is very good for everyone involved in this mess that the media has paid it so little attention so far. The chances are it will not grow to a big story (at least I hope so) which will help protect the players in the long run.

It will remain a story, though it will only become a big story if it goes to court. 

I'm not a Hochmann fan, but the column he wrote on SLU today is light years ahead of that unprofessional nonsense that Ortiz put out recently. Link below:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-excitement-about-slu-basketball-dims-with-closed-doors/article_cb6444ca-b1d5-5f41-9fe9-52dba07e1c8b.html

drkelsey55 likes this

4 hours ago, NH said:

I'm not a Hochmann fan, but the column he wrote on SLU today is light years ahead of that unprofessional nonsense that Ortiz put out recently. Link below:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-excitement-about-slu-basketball-dims-with-closed-doors/article_cb6444ca-b1d5-5f41-9fe9-52dba07e1c8b.html

The new Billikens mascot with a tear running down his cheek is a BS joke of a statement.  Also he may not be excited for the season but I am.  Big Difference between a true fan and a sports writer who wants access to break a story.

if the players did something wrong they should be punished accordingly.   If the players are innocent then their names should never get mentioned.

The accused and accusers should both be given the benefit of the doubt. Allow the legal process to play out and if the players are guilty then the mascot will have a tear running down his cheek for the victims.

i am excited for the season no matter what.  I'm a first time season ticket owner and have my two new Billikens shirts, go SLU!

5 hours ago, NH said:

At least he didn’t baselessly accuse SLU of a massive cover up. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Why do these reporters keep speaking about this like Ford and May actually have a choice in the matter when it comes to speaking? They legally cannot speak on the topic. That hasn’t once been mentioned.

A tried-and-true press method of wearing them down with the weight of ink until they have to say something. I'm not sure Hank, and by Hank I mean Avis Meyer, would have done it that way, though... 

They'd pick around it like meat on a chicken wing, though. I get the legality of it, but the University's legal counsel and P.R. people would tailor a message. It's only a matter of time - the clock is ticking to the start of the season. 

And maybe the "no news is good news" adage holds true here... but we're all waiting with bated Billiken breath.. 

Instead, you’ll read fewer stories about all the players, since our reporters can’t interview them. 

i always enjoyed the player profiles they feature before the start of every season. shucks