Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Some people blame the alleged victims without evidence, some blame the alleged assaulters without evidence, and then you have local media who WANT someone to have been sexually assaulted so that they have a story to tell and they blame SLU when they can't.

It sure does seem that way 

17 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

The cost of that feature would require a heck of a fundraiser....

... if a moderator who never deletes/hides posts  deletes or hides posts (e.g. the Duke back and forth from earlier) regarding a certain topic, probably a good idea stop posting about that topic or engaging in that debate

It was more just a jab at the current trend of comments... 

Doing a great job sign guy! 

37 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Some of my best work

Lol.

On a serious note (and this goes to anyone on the board), is there a reason why the media just doesn't give SLU attention? I recognize that this may be a subjective question.

I grew up in Nashville and there was a similar sports dynamic between Vanderbilt and UT, but I would say the media gave Vandy adequate coverage. Of course UT dominated due to the fact that they had more alums, bigger sports brand, etc. but there wasn't the tension that exists here. 

Why wouldn't St. Louis want a nationally relevant sports team with the city's name in it?

Spoon-Balls likes this

28 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Lol.

On a serious note (and this goes to anyone on the board), is there a reason why the media just doesn't give SLU attention? I recognize that this may be a subjective question.

I grew up in Nashville and there was a similar sports dynamic between Vanderbilt and UT, but I would say the media gave Vandy adequate coverage. Of course UT dominated due to the fact that they had more alums, bigger sports brand, etc. but there wasn't the tension that exists here. 

Why wouldn't St. Louis want a nationally relevant sports team with the city's name in it?

The local TV media does.  The local newspaper, dominated by Missouri alums and transplants who only pay attention to P5 sports, doesn't care.

Spoon-Balls likes this

20 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Lol.

That's the million dollar question right there.  It's a completely different story when you go to city's like Omaha or Cincinnati where the people in the region, as well as the media, love their local basketball teams. Part of it has to do with SLU's inconsistent history, but I think another part of it is that the Post has traditionally hired a lot of Mizzery graduates to write their sports columns. The Bills need a true fan  to be covering them. Stu Durando just seems so low energy about the program...

5 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

That's the million dollar question right there.  It's a completely different story when you go to city's like Omaha or Cincinnati where the people in the region, as well as the media, love their local basketball teams. Part of it has to do with SLU's inconsistent history, but I think another part of it is that the Post has traditionally hired a lot of Mizzery graduates to write their sports columns. The Bills need a true fan  to be covering them. Stu Durando just seems so low energy about the program...

You don't need a cheerleader covering them. That's silly and would be one sided. Let's leave that will our broadcasters. We need to get back to being relevant and the coverage will follow. I did enjoy Tom Timmerman when he covered them 

Just now, P.B. said:

You don't need a cheerleader covering them. That's silly and would be one sided. Let's leave that will our broadcasters. We need to get back to being relevant and the coverage will follow. I did enjoy Tom Timmerman when he covered them 

I'll agree with you that Tom Timmerman wrote some great articles about the Bills and I always enjoyed his "life on the road" columns. But Mizzou has Dave Matter and his cheerleading certainly generates clicks for all things Mizzery...

I think the Vandy situation is very similar to the Duke situation here in North Carolina.

Most of the undergrads at these schools are from somewhere else. Mostly from the Northeast. They come, graduate and return to where they came from. The Carolina and UT undergrads are pretty much all locals. They don't leave the state when they graduate making for a huge alumni base which the media caters to.

Most of the locals loathe Duke. If Duke was not as good as it is, I don't think it would be as bad. 

50 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

When our number of Sweet Sixteen appearances exceeds our number of sexual assault accusations we will merit the level of coverage some MBMs think we deserve.

1 hour ago, 615Billiken said:

Lol.

The tension only exists in the minds of a select few on this board.