Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

Here is the SLU President's official letter regarding the current scandal making the rounds on campus.  I'd certainly be interested in hearing what any current students are reporting on this one, but my understanding is this is fairly big.

I have no further comment to make here, so don't ask, or pm me, on this one.  Read it and weep ... & make of it what you will. 

Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 12:45 PM
Subject: A Message from the President on Recent Sexual Assault Allegations

Dear members of the SLU community,

I write to provide some additional information about what the University is doing related to this weekend’s report of on-campus sexual assaults. The Department of Public Safety has already issued a timely warning about the allegations.

On Sunday, Sept. 24, we were notified by a representative of the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department that three women, including two SLU students, reported they were sexually assaulted in an on-campus apartment by student athletes.

First, I want to say how deeply troubled I am by these allegations, which involve behavior that runs counter to our mission and values. SLU seeks to foster a safe and supportive atmosphere where students, faculty, clinicians, and staff can flourish in an inclusive environment that is free from harassment and harm. Sexual assault, misconduct and harassment of any kind have no place at our University.

St. Louis police are investigating the reports, and the University is cooperating fully with the police investigation.

The University has also launched its own investigation through its Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity. The University’s Title IX coordinator will be working with an external investigative team — engaged by the University — which specializes in assisting colleges and universities with reports of sexual assault and misconduct. The Athletics Department is cooperating with all ongoing investigations and fully supports the University’s processes.

Any community member with information about this matter should directly contact the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department at (314) 444-5385, SLU’s Department of Public Safety at (314) 977-2376, or the University’s Title IX Coordinator at (314) 977-3838. Additionally, any community member with questions about the University’s policies regarding sexual violence may contact the Title IX Coordinator.

Our process will be conducted in a thorough, fair and impartial manner. And the University will continue to provide support to all of our students. 

Sincerely,

Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.
President

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My sense is that it's not so big, but the university is making it big in order to avoid backlash of not taking allegations seriously enough. 

I do not mean to minimize the incident whatsoever. My sense is just that all of the communication is just a strategy to get it out quickly and avoid allegations of suppression later on. I was reading an article about the Vatican's suppression of scandals has bitten them in the ass because they extend the life of the story, it gets replicated in the media more, and they have to deal with the additional backlash for the suppression on top of the scandal itself.

appearantly many PR firms are suggesting that organizations put it all out there ASAP rather than wait. This seems like a classic case of that.

9 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Yeah there is no way now that there isn't an effect to the basketball team. These guys are so stupid. So ridiculously dumb. I can't even believe how dumb this is. 

Agreed. Unreal that we are going to go through basically the same thing 7 years later. How stupid can people be?

Just now, kshoe said:

Agreed. Unreal that we are going to go through basically the same thing 7 years later. How stupid can people be?

The parallels are so crazy similar, minus the successful CBI sun. Obviously facts aren’t out blah blah blah but to even put yourself in that kind of situation is crazy. 

35 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Yeah there is no way now that there isn't an effect to the basketball team. These guys are so stupid. So ridiculously dumb. I can't even believe how dumb this is. 

So you've confirmed that the student-athletes were basketball players/

What strikes me as unusual is three women claim to having been sexually assaulted. That would imply several assailants and some type of organization to it, not three isolated instances. If true, major scandal, jail sentences and possible death sentence for that sport, if all the athletes involved were on the same team.

2 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

What strikes me as unusual is three women claim to having been sexually assaulted. That would imply several assailants and some type of organization to it, not three isolated instances. If true, major scandal, jail sentences and possible death sentence for that sport, if all the athletes involved were on the same team.

If Penn State didn’t get the death penalty for raping dozens of little boys, no one is getting in NCAA trouble for some he said she said sexual gangbang assault claims.