Question for true SLU fans.

SLUShocker

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

99.9% of true Billiken Fans hate all things Mizzou with a passion because 99.8% of Mizzou fans are arrogant a-holes.  There are few exceptions.  

The history is probably similiar to WSU and Kansas except that the Tigers were never quite as good as the Jayhawks and the Billikens never seem to sustain success for more than a few years at a time....

HenryB, SShoe and rgbilliken like this

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

99.9% of true Billiken Fans hate all things Mizzou with a passion because 99.8% of Mizzou fans are arrogant a-holes.  There are few exceptions.  

The history is probably similiar to WSU and Kansas except that the Tigers were never quite as good as the Jayhawks and the Billikens never seem to sustain success for more than a few years at a time....

So I am assuming you guys despise Mizzou/SLU combo fans? Like I despise WSU/KU combo fans.

2 minutes ago, SLUShocker said:

So I am assuming you guys despise Mizzou/SLU combo fans? Like I despise WSU/KU combo fans.

there is no thing as a true "mi$$ouri/slu combo fan".   patronizing tigers will pretend they are both but it is always from a slu could never be as good as mi$$ouri viewpoint.

I will probably get in trouble here, I watched Bill Walton play for UCLA and that started my interest in college basketball.  Watching Norm Stewart's teams made me a huge fan of college basketball.  Watching Rich Grawer's SLU teams made me love college basketball and SLU.  Posters are correct about arrogant MU fans but I do not hate MU and I rooted for SLU when they played each other.

2 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I will probably get in trouble here, I watched Bill Walton play for UCLA and that started my interest in college basketball.  Watching Norm Stewart's teams made me a huge fan of college basketball.  Watching Rich Grawer's SLU teams made me love college basketball and SLU.  Posters are correct about arrogant MU fans but I do not hate MU and I rooted for SLU when they played each other.

BURN THE WITCH!  HERESY!  BURN THE WITCH!

(Just Kidding)

CBFan likes this

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

So are you saying, my friend, that you don't believe me?

thicks i will give you credit, if anyone fits the co-fan possiblity it is you.  and i also give you big kudos for not bringing the tiger fanship in here. thanks.

I just don't give a flying f*** about Mizzou basketball. I am however a Mizzou football season ticker holder. 

When it comes to basketball I view them the same way I view Iowa or Purdue. Just don't really care. I'll turn on a Mizzou game if it's an interesting matchup but that's about it.

I don't ever see it happening, but if a miracle  does happen and they make a run in the tournament, I'd root for them if I picked them in my bracket and against them if I didn't. 

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

there is no thing as a trills. If MU is not playing Billsue "mi$$ouri/slu combo fan".   patronizing tigers will pretend they are both but it is always from a slu could never be as good as mi$$ouri viewpoint.

I have been a citizen of both St Louis and/or county all my life. I have been a resident of Missouri whole time too. Besides 3 hours credit at SLU from High school I have no alumni relations with either. I have been a fan of both teams for my whole life. Seems totally normal for me. I have but one child but assume if I had more would cherish them all. I was a season ticket holder for Bills from second year of Grawer till poverty set in right at end of RM era. If the 2 teams play I'm 100% routing for Bills. Seems perfectly normal to me. I ignore anyone who can't deal with that which is only on this board. I feel for anyone who is so wrapped up with their team that they aren't able to enjoy sports fully IMO. Only thing stranger to me on this board is folks from other programs coming on our board. I guess if energetic I may think of looking on other team's boards to find out stuff about upcoming opponents but still seems kind of creepy to me.

2 hours ago, SLUShocker said:

Now I am a true Shocker fan, and I see some WSU-Kansas fan hatred/rivalry. Does the same thing happen here?

I'm sure this is just an innocent first time post from a new poster. Quite sure there is no intent here to bait.

Unless, and until, the SLU hierarchy decides whether they want to have a competitive athletic program, of any kind, I am disinterested. Given that we funded our daughter's physical therapy education @ SLU, I HAD a vested financial interest in the university's success. Now, it seems to be operated by the 21st Century version of The Three Stooges.

Bottom line, I don't care.

3 hours ago, SLUShocker said:

Now I am a true Shocker fan, and I see some WSU-Kansas fan hatred/rivalry. Does the same thing happen here?

Not to start anything here, because I really don't know why this upsets everyone so much, I would say it breaks down into four descending categories in order of SLU fans in terms of relationship with SLU and Mizzou. 

1) The Largest Group- The vast majority of SLU fans, does not like Mizzou. We rue that they don't play us, we hate that they brush off not playing us so easily, and we see them as a direct roadblock to SLU's own success. There are varying levels within this group itself about whether or not we should play Mizzou, or whether or not that is important in hating them. I am a member of this group, yet I passionately want to play Mizzou.  I think the game would be good for the game across the state. This group ranges from levels of rationality to irrationality, though believe it or not, I do believe Mizzou represents a "Natural" rival for SLU. 

2) Perhaps about a third to a quarter of the group- This group is in different and unconcerned about Mizzou, about the series. Though the do not outwardly support Mizzou at all. 

3) A rarity- Fans of both programs, or maybe fans of Mizzou football and SLU basketball. These people have their reasons to varying degrees. And though I am a member of group 1, they do not bother me all that much. 

4) Perhaps non-existent- People that went to SLU but pull for Mizzou. If I knew such people existed, I'd shame them personally.  

9 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Not to start anything here, because I really don't know why this upsets everyone so much, I would say it breaks down into four descending categories in order of SLU fans in terms of relationship with SLU and Mizzou. 

1) The Largest Group- The vast majority of SLU fans, does not like Mizzou. We rue that they don't play us, we hate that they brush off not playing us so easily, and we see them as a direct roadblock to SLU's own success. There are varying levels within this group itself about whether or not we should play Mizzou, or whether or not that is important in hating them. I am a member of this group, yet I passionately want to play Mizzou.  I think the game would be good for the game across the state. This group ranges from levels of rationality to irrationality, though believe it or not, I do believe Mizzou represents a "Natural" rival for SLU. 

2) Perhaps about a third to a quarter of the group- This group is in different and unconcerned about Mizzou, about the series. Though the do not outwardly support Mizzou at all. 

3) A rarity- Fans of both programs, or maybe fans of Mizzou football and SLU basketball. These people have their reasons to varying degrees. And though I am a member of group 1, they do not bother me all that much. 

4) Perhaps non-existent- People that went to SLU but pull for Mizzou. If I knew such people existed, I'd shame them personally.  

I'M NUMBER 1!!!  I'M NUMBER 1!!!!!:D

3 hours ago, SLUShocker said:

It's probable that you're just fishing, but I'll answer your question as if it were on the up-and-up.

I've been a fan of Missouri and Saint Louis U. since 1988-89.  It was at that time that I transferred to UMSL after attending a college near Chicago for a year and a half.  During high school in St. Louis, I was involved with my school's team for three years, so I loved basketball, but I really didn't follow higher levels, because St. Louis has no NBA team.  When I was in Chicagoland, I became a big Chicago Bulls fan -- at the height of Michael Jordan's early run, but when they couldn't get past the Thomas/Lambeer/Rodman Pistons -- but I also took an interest in Mizzou and SLU back home, but only to check scores or read about the teams in the preseason yearbooks.

Once I returned to the Gateway City, I focused my love for hoops on Mizzou and SLU.  I followed both teams, but I admit that in that first year (1988-89), I could follow Mizzou more closely, because Mizzou games aired on a strong radio station and the Bills were on a weak station.  It wasn't until after Missouri had been eliminated from the NCAA Tournament (and that was one of the rare years when they didn't get knocked out in the first round) and SLU was still going in the NIT that I really made an effort to tune in to the Billikens, enduring the heavy static on the radio.  I've been following and rooting for both teams ever since, good years and bad years.

Having been a Mizzou fan, I've always "hated" Kansas -- and envied them -- but I never found any entertainment in visiting a Kansas fan forum.  Therefore, I have no way of knowing how Kansas fans might feel towards other schools, but I wouldn't be surprised if they exude an air of snobbish superiority towards them.  But as for Wichita State, I suspect Kansas fans hardly knew they existed until WSU made the 2013 Final Four and then they got "Shocked" in the 2015 NCAA Tournament.  I guess by that point some level of "rivalry" may have escalated between them.  Before then it probably would have been more of Wichita State attempting to emulate Kansas and Kansas having "bigger fish to fry."

Missouri fans feel, somehow, that they should be, if not actually are, in the same stratosphere with Kansas.  Um, no.  But that's what they want and that's what they feel: that's their right as fans of their team.  But it's totally irrational.  And that's what fanatics do.  So, in their attempt to emulate Kansas, they exude an air of snobbish superiority towards other programs in the state of Missouri, even though they haven't objectively earned any recognition on a national scale.  SLU fans have every right to look askance on the attitude of Mizzou fans.

So, in the long run, yes, there may be some similarities.

I've read for many years why some people think no one can be a true fan of both schools, but I just don't subscribe.  SLU and Mizzou don't play in the same conference -- though if they did, it would probably be nearly impossible to really root (i.e., be a "true" fan) for both -- and they don't play each other often.  There may be occasional competition for recruits, but I feel like there's a chance for both schools to get good recruits and win at a high level.  They're not mutually exclusive.  And as for the attitudes of the fans, I don't let that deter me.  I really can't stand the undeserved air of superiority Mizzou fans exhibit towards SLU, but that doesn't stop me from following and rooting for the team.  It's not the players and coaches of the team that disrespect SLU.  So, I'm a fan of the teams, but not necessarily a fan of the fans.