The "old" points system

Billikan

The history of the old points system, as people have indicated, developed when there was such an uproar over the seats at the arena. When we moved to Saviss a large group of former players, alumni, faculty and long time supporters were gathered as a committee to develop a system that was fair to all but still incentivized people to give money to the program.

As a member of that committee, I believe there was much deference given to long term season ticket holders and former members of the Tip Off Club. However, we did have a way for people to earn "points" for donations--one point for each $100 donated--and that has been a part of the program ever since. After the system was finalized I felt very comfortable with the protections for long time fans. I cannot remember if Tucci was on the committee but I can assure you that everyone had input and no one dictated the result.

I got the new publication yesterday and I went from 32 to 33 on the list so I guess some of my old time credit for being a member of the Tip Off Club must have fallen off. In total, it looked to me like it is a fair system that recognizes past support but also encourages future donations.

Earlier today, the AD's office explained to me that the new system is designed to reward contributions made to any aspect of the athletic department, not just contributions made to the men's basketball program. As someone who really only follows men's basketball, the system change is going to hurt me. However, I understand the rationale for the changes.

Don't kid yourself the new system is designed to bring in more money, and there is nothing wrong with that. Thats their job,the job of any booster group is to raise money to help fund operations. The way to raise more money is to get existing members to give more and to get more members. I think the new system is trying to do both.

if the $100 per point thing has always been a part of the system, what has changed that has shook up the rankings?

i agree with tsuegnekillib. last year i attended a slu volleyball game and came away feeling i got my money's worth. non-stop action and it went 5 games.

Points are now awarded for season tickets to soccer, women's basketball, and volleyball.

Points are now awarded for contributions to any sport.

Billiken Club points will now be allocated based upon $50 increments of contributions, rather than member level.

Men's basketball season ticket points will now be allocated based upon the number of seats purchased.

Points will be given for participation in special fundraisers, such as the golf classic.

Basically, any money that directly benefits any aspect of the Billiken athletic program will build points. Because the point system is only relevant for men's basketball but points are generated from all sports, a legitimate argument can be made that this system is not more equitable than the old one.

davidnark said, "Because the point system is only relevant for men's basketball but points are generated from all sports, a legitimate argument can be made that this system is not more equitable than the old one."

however, in defense, how many times have we discussed the apathy of all the other sports. i.e. maybe, as some have mentioned today, this gets people to try the other sports. a few more dollars for each sport brought in also justifies their existence all the more. actually, the more i think about it, and knowing how hard all our athletes work to succeed not only on their playing field/court, but in the classroom, i kind of like it. besides david, if you ever attend another sport (soccer excluded) you might see that the points arent being doled out in buckets. in fact, you'll probably have time to go talk to all the spectators during the event and get their thoughts.

while all all of us look at the points system as a tool to upgrade our Bball tickets or get good seats for special games. The emphasis from the AD department is now broader based, looking at support for all of the university's athletics.

I bet this was a Cheryl Levick plan, probably patterned after what she did at stanford, and SC.