Katherine Weathers- hearing officer?

gobillsgo

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, NH said:

My issue is not with this woman. From what you all have posted about her, nothing seems egregious or unfair. She was at the woman’s march? Good for her. She disagrees with president trump? Such is her right.

The real issue is not this woman but rather whoever thought it was a good idea to have a single individual decide this process.

I agree with your last statement. That is a cause of this whole issue. Finding a single non biased person amongst college staff would be damn near impossible.

This woman doesn’t have the common sense to not tweet things like this in her position after a controversial ruling just hours before. That is a symptom of her not being the right person for the job. She should not be allowed to continue in that position, period. If she lacks the common sense and good judgement of that, why should she be allowed to remain in a job which requires good judgement?

Fire her Monday morning. 

rgbilliken likes this

4 hours ago, NH said:

My issue is not with this woman. From what you all have posted about her, nothing seems egregious or unfair. She was at the woman’s march? Good for her. She disagrees with president trump? Such is her right.

There are over 100 posts devoted to the idea that these two things can be used against the this woman, her ruling, or the university... pretty hilarious when you consider the circumstances 

3 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

There are over 100 posts devoted to the idea that these two things can be used against the this woman, her ruling, or the university... pretty hilarious when you consider the circumstances 

How do you figure, sports fan? What Weathers made public elimates her impartiality in private. Ballgame, son. Ballgame. You can crochet all the pink hats you want, but once you put that hat on in public, you’ve picked a side and your ability to be impartial (which is your job) waves bye-bye. An absolutely huge error on her part and she did not anticipate our Billikens.com justice brigade to Woodward and Bernstein the out of her. 

16 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

How do you figure, sports fan? What Weathers made public elimates her impartiality in private. Ballgame, son. Ballgame. You can crochet all the pink hats you want, but once you put that hat on in public, you’ve picked a side and your ability to be impartial (which is your job) waves bye-bye. An absolutely huge error on her part and she did not anticipate our Billikens.com justice brigade to Woodward and Bernstein the out of her. 

Her impartiality goes out the window in the eyes of a few old white guys on basketball forum. Good luck trying to sustain this in court.

"Well sir, she doesn't like Trump and was at the women's march..."

I think we mostly agree. She supports a movement that has in general gone too far and is unapologetic about it. Her decision, at least from the perspective of an outsider to the investigation, appears to reflect the ideology of this movement. That’s frustrating. But I really doubt Weather’s Twitter fiasco gets us anywhere closer to a positive resolution. Perhaps that too is a result of the same ideology, but that is what we must contend with.

15 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

The Title IX process can be appealed on its fairness and impartiality.  So, someone in her position is pretty naive to think publishing her biases on Twitter won’t be used.  It sure as hell will be used. 

4 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Her impartiality goes out the window in the eyes of a few old white guys on basketball forum. Good luck trying to sustain this in court.

"Well sir, she doesn't like Trump and was at the women's march..."

Who’s talking about court?  People are talking about the appeal.  

The university is about to lose a ****-ton in donations for a long time.  Good luck on figuring out how to reconcile this cluster****.  The BLM protest should be fun to see.  Once again St. Louis will be national news.  I’m sure that will help SLU’s reputation.  The Keystone Cops Admin...

6 minutes ago, TRN said:

Who’s talking about court?  People are talking about the appeal.  

The university is about to lose a ****-ton in donations for a long time.  Good luck on figuring out how to reconcile this cluster****.  The BLM protest should be fun to see.  Once again St. Louis will be national news.  I’m sure that will help SLU’s reputation.  The Keystone Cops Admin...

Fair point. No one said court. 

Point remains the same for an appeal. I honestly can’t imagine anyone overturning or changing her decision (at least significantly enough that we are happy) on the basis of the political leanings evidenced by her twitter.

Also, I would be shocked if this actually becomes national news. This is a basketball ordeal at a school where largely no one cares about the basketball program. 

There are BLM protests happening almost every weekend in St. Louis. They don’t get national attention.

27 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Hey, prankster. That would all be fantastic, if this woman was removed from office, “ruled impartial”, or whatever is happening in your (our) dream scenario. I’m just saying the idea that this is going to affect (essentially) SLU’s appeal of their own ruling, is a little comical. Isn’t that what got us here in the first place? 

I went back to the most recent Title IX guidance from the Federal Government this evening and found this most relevant Q & A topic (bold mine):

Q. What constitutes an “equitable” investigation?

A. In every investigation conducted under the school’s grievance procedures, the burden is on the school—not on the parties—to gather sufficient evidence to reach a fair, impartial determination as to whether sexual misconduct has occurred and, if so, whether a hostile environment has been created that must be redressed. A person free of actual or reasonably perceived conflicts of interest and biases for or against any party must lead the investigation on behalf of the school. Schools should ensure that institutional interests do not interfere with the impartiality of the investigation.

This doesn't require actual biases. It says "...or reasonably perceived conflicts of interest and biases."

This doesn't say someone free of bias "should lead" or "best efforts to find someone to lead." It says "must lead."

To be clear, this was answering a question about investigation. By limited definition of investigation, it could be argued that the investigation was done by outside investigator(s) who by nature of their arm's length relationship with the school, should be free of bias.

But the investigation is much bigger than that. Once report is given to school, all kinds of additional investigation occurs. The HO meets with the parties, investigates more, learns more via the cross-examination questions from each party, learns of new evidence presented during these hearings. They investigate all the way to the end.

And I seriously doubt the spirit of the Fed. Govt's intention was to exclude the HO who, after all, oversees the investigation.

CMoore and Pistol like this

3 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Fair point. No one said court. 

Point remains the same for an appeal. I honestly can’t imagine anyone overturning or changing her decision (at least significantly enough that we are happy) on the basis of the political leanings evidenced by her twitter.

Also, I would be shocked if this actually becomes national news. This is a basketball ordeal at a school where largely no one cares about the basketball program. 

There are BLM protests happening almost every weekend in St. Louis. They don’t get national attention.

People may not care about SLU nationally.  But, the story of four black players basically being kicked out of school because of consensual sex with 3 white girls could become a big deal.  The Title IX circus has been exposed, all it takes is a real sports journalist to dig into this story.  Bob Ley and Outside the Lines to the courtesy phone...

7 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Not hilarious at all. If posters in this board see her actions as influenced by her bias, why wouldn’t a jury be capable of the same findings?

8 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Hilarious?....I’m not laughing.

7 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Hey, prankster. That would all be fantastic, if this woman was removed from office, “ruled impartial”, or whatever is happening in your (our) dream scenario. I’m just saying the idea that this is going to affect (essentially) SLU’s appeal of their own ruling, is a little comical. Isn’t that what got us here in the first place? 

It’s not SLU’s appeal, it’s the student-athlete’s appeal and I truly and firmly believe that the loose ground of the movement Weathers is so firmly entrenched in as part of the Participation Trophy generation, a generation that can’t accept losing one of the most lopsided elections since Reagan 84, makes her obviously side with the accusers before a document even crosses her desk. There is no way in hell this woman can be impartial. She wakes up mad at men for whatever it is we did that is so awful. 

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Not hilarious at all. If posters in this board see her actions as influenced by her bias, why wouldn’t a jury be capable of the same findings?

21 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Hilarious?....I’m not laughing.

Sorry, try drugs 

15 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

It’s not SLU’s appeal, it’s the student-athlete’s appeal and I truly and firmly believe that the loose ground of the movement Weathers is so firmly entrenched in as part of the Participation Trophy generation, a generation that can’t accept losing one of the most lopsided elections since Reagan 84, makes her obviously side with the accusers before a document even crosses her desk. There is no way in hell this woman can be impartial. She wakes up mad at men for whatever it is we did that is so awful. 

I mean the appeal board is also appointed by SLU, I think 

3 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

This isn’t “my problem”... but yes, some drugs have the ability to take an edge off when you are increasingly frustrated by an issue. Hope that’s alright with you 

I prefer thoughtfu, reasoned discourse and action but to each his own.