The Appeal

SLU_Nick

So these punishments were decided by one person right?  An anonymous person? (I really don’t know and would like someone to inform me)

isnt it still possible that the 3 person tribal appeal council lightens up a bit? (Especially Goodwin)

I think if Goodwin stays we can avoid absolute destruction.

I’d say really only chance is that if his suspension is lightened to one year. If that happens he MIGHT stay, as that would be the same length to sit out for a transfer. 

The thought did cross my mind that the initial punishments were intentionally too harsh just so that they could lighten them a bit on appeal in an effort to appease everyone. That’s the type of šhit SLU would try to pull. 

With that said, I find it hard to even hope for the above scenario. Why should JGood even consider staying at this point? None of these young men did anything wrong, and they were thrown under the bus because white girl’s daddy would’ve rather ruin their lives than face the embarrassment of people knowing she engaged in sexual activity with black men. 

The ONLY result on appeal that would change my mind about SLU is if all of them are changed to time served. But that won’t happen in a 13 day appeal process. Absolutely no chance. 

Mitchell and willie were initially suspended for a year.  After the appeal they were invited to apply for readmission.  

Hopefully, there is some additional data that can be presented, even if just to give three people a chance to rethink this profoundly over the top suspension .  i would hope a Catholic institution can find a pathway for restorative justice rather than just kicking these young men to the curb.

What should a Jesuit do.  JUG!!   

rgbilliken and kcinstl like this

It's really insane the standards and punishments we hold college kids to while allowing people like Trump and Greitens to occupy the highest offices in the land with their bad behavior unchecked.

I don't know what happened, but I find it hard to believe all of them deserved to get shipped.

It's like they're being overpunished for all the sins of everyone who got away with worse.

The more I think about what happened here the more frustrated I get. I have a daughter in college and if she participated in something like this I would expect her to take personal responsibility for her actions. Not destroy the reputation of the boys because she regretted her actions.

I have son who is getting ready to go to college. I am really concerned about him being falsely accused of some type of sexual incident on a college campus. The male is automatically guilty and has his reputation destroyed. I sent Pestallo an email and let him know he was considering going to SLU but I wouldn't let him within miles of the SLU campus.

Something needs to be done to help the 4 out and stop what is happening to males on college campuses. I don't know what it is but I do know nothing will change if we don't have our voices heard.

4 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

So these punishments were decided by one person right?  An anonymous person? (I really don’t know and would like someone to inform me)

isnt it still possible that the 3 person tribal appeal council lightens up a bit? (Especially Goodwin)

I think if Goodwin stays we can avoid absolute destruction.

Yes, the hearing officer that’s appointed for these cases is (believe it or not) a tenured professor. The HO for the SLU swimmer who was suspended for a year (but was then subsequently cleared and won a lawsuit against SLU) was a gender studies professor....

#GoldStandard

38 minutes ago, slusam said:

The more I think about what happened here the more frustrated I get. I have a daughter in college and if she participated in something like this I would expect her to take personal responsibility for her actions. Not destroy the reputation of the boys because she regretted her actions.

I have son who is getting ready to go to college. I am really concerned about him being falsely accused of some type of sexual incident on a college campus. The male is automatically guilty and has his reputation destroyed. I sent Pestallo an email and let him know he was considering going to SLU but I wouldn't let him within miles of the SLU campus.

Something needs to be done to help the 4 out and stop what is happening to males on college campuses. I don't know what it is but I do know nothing will change if we don't have our voices heard.

It seems first step is collectively voicing concerns to the board, ask for pestello' s removal per incompetence, same for Chris may.    

14 minutes ago, gravilst said:

It seems first step is collectively voicing concerns to the board, ask for pestello' s removal per incompetence, same for Chris may.    

While I completely agree that the removal of Pestello and May are necessary,  flows downhill directly from the top.  With that said, I also feel that new leadership of the Board itself and possibly a shakeup of numerous members is also warranted.

Spoon-Balls likes this

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

It's really insane the standards and punishments we hold college kids to while allowing people like Trump and Greitens to occupy the highest offices in the land with their bad behavior unchecked.

I don't know what happened, but I find it hard to believe all of them deserved to get shipped.

It's like they're being overpunished for all the sins of everyone who got away with worse.

You forgot to mention, JFK, Teddy K., G Hart, Bill Clinton. Al F. and so on.  :huh:

9 minutes ago, bauman said:

You forgot to mention, JFK, Teddy K., G Hart, Bill Clinton. Al F. and so on.  :huh:

JFK was shot in the head.

Teddy never got to be POTUS.

Gary Hart had his political career ruined.

Bill Clinton was impeached by the House, but ultimately his punishment was staying married to Hillary

Al Franken was left hanging out to dry by his own party

None of them are currently holding office.

waldo027 and Pelican like this

55 minutes ago, bauman said:

Al Franken resigned over the accusations made against him. The Democrats might lose a Senate seat due to it.

"Oh yeah, but what about JFK?" is a interesting defense of Trump.

Do you believe President Trump should resign over his many, and very severe, sexual misconduct allegations?

This is a case if a snow flake little white chick who was afraid her white daddy may not like the fact that she wanted some black ×@$& so she decided she was a victim and the school has no guts to defend a male athlete in this hyper-sensitive time in history where young adults need a "safe place" to curl into the fetal position when someone looks at them wrong.  This "officer" and this school have set themselves up for millions of $$ worth of litigation, lost profits, and donations all in the name of political correctness.  The rich daddy cant donate as much as these idiots have cost this school.  They will lose 1000 times over if not more.  THIS is why they need to be replaced---because they are idiots.

Edited by Spoonball18
Spelling
dlarry and Spoon-Balls like this

23 minutes ago, waldo027 said:

Al Franken resigned over the accusations made against him. The Democrats might lose a Senate seat due to it.

"Oh yeah, but what about JFK?" is a interesting defense of Trump.

Do you believe President Trump should resign over his many, and very severe, sexual misconduct allegations?

Please just stop. Do we have to have politics creep into everything 

3 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

woke up to this..... I'm done guys. its all over..... goodbye French, goodbye Gordon, goodbye Ford.... its all over

It's not really all over.  We have a season to finish.  Then, Ford has recruiting to do.  Then, we have another seasons of basketball the next year.  The circle will not be unbroken.

The appeals process will be a dog and pony show.  Rosenblum will sue and win.  

If Ford can get things back under control, the team should recover in two years.  

8 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

It's not really all over.  We have a season to finish.  Then, Ford has recruiting to do.  Then, we have another seasons of basketball the next year.  The circle will not be unbroken.

The appeals process will be a dog and pony show.  Rosenblum will sue and win.  

If Ford can get things back under control, the team should recover in two years.  

After this season ends, we will only have French and JJ returning from those playing. Santos will become eligible. Hopefully we keep 1-2 of our current recruits. 

Ford has 8+ scholarships to fill. Ponder that for a while. 

If Ford stays, next year will be his fourth losing season in a row. The year after will be his fifth. This decision has poisoned the well for local recruiting. Lets see how well Ford can recruit while he is carrying the stigma of 5 losing seasons in a row. Not too mention the Athletic Department will be losing our old NCAA credits and donors can’t be that enthused (so I imagine the Athletic budget will be shrinking). 

6 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

After this season ends, we will only have French and JJ returning from those playing. Santos will become eligible. Hopefully we keep 1-2 of our current recruits. 

Ford has 8+ scholarships to fill. Ponder that for a while. 

There's a pretty good chance that Bess and Foreman come back also.