Facts at this point

BJK

In reading the main thread and a few others it becomes difficult to determine speculation from fact> 

What do we know at this point?

Are we sure the fourth player is in fact Goodwin?

I’m sure that in some way shape or form, they will start a recovery process. Hopefully a strong one and sooner rather than later would be ideal. 

But man, this whole thing has put everyone in such a 💩 mood. Politics don’t really have a place here ( other threads) and there’s no point kicking the board members while they’re down. 

Tomorrow we start fresh again like we always do. Support the boys left in whatever way we can without feeding the admin. I will say because of all I have on my plate I will unfortunately be a fair weather fan and likely not invest as much time money or emotion this year... but I know I will when the new captain takes over and rights the ship ...whenever that may be. 

I just lost my 99 year old grandmother and her last words were ‘be sweet!’  Take note!

2 hours ago, BilliKitty said:

I’m sure that in some way shape or form, they will start a recovery process. Hopefully a strong one and sooner rather than later would be ideal. 

But man, this whole thing has put everyone in such a 💩 mood. Politics don’t really have a place here ( other threads) and there’s no point kicking the board members while they’re down. 

Tomorrow we start fresh again like we always do. Support the boys left in whatever way we can without feeding the admin. I will say because of all I have on my plate I will unfortunately be a fair weather fan and likely not invest as much time money or emotion this year... but I know I will when the new captain takes over and rights the ship ...whenever that may be. 

I just lost my 99 year old grandmother and her last words were ‘be sweet!’  Take note!

My condolences on your loss.

1 minute ago, Clock_Tower said:

Again.  How do we know for sure the fourth player is Goodwin?  And why was he allowed to play all year and the other three not?

Primate messages are welcomed.

Here is a key point, even if SLU followed all of the Title 1X guidelines (which is debatable) they still have the authority to determine the punishment. Universities have had a wide range of disciplinarian actions for the same action. The severity of the punishment, compared to what others are receiving for the same findings is appalling in this instance. The higher ups at SLU do have the power to alter the punishment if not the findings. I hope enough pressure is applied to rectify this egregious decision.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bustle.com/p/how-do-schools-punish-students-who-violated-title-ix-each-university-has-its-own-system-81503/amp

GoBills73 likes this

52 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Here is a key point, even if SLU followed all of the Title 1X guidelines (which is debatable) they still have the authority to determine the punishment. Universities have had a wide range of disciplinarian actions for the same action. The severity of the punishment, compared to what others are receiving for the same findings is appalling in this instance. The higher ups at SLU do have the power to alter the punishment if not the findings. I hope enough pressure is applied to rectify this egregious decision.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bustle.com/p/how-do-schools-punish-students-who-violated-title-ix-each-university-has-its-own-system-81503/amp

Pestello doesn't seem like the type that would step up and take control. He believes in the process and will hide behind that. It has to be the board and I doubt a consensus could be reached unless they really thought the money spigot was going to be turned off.

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

Pestello doesn't seem like the type that would step up and take control. He believes in the process and will hide behind that. It has to be the board and I doubt a consensus could be reached unless they really thought the money spigot was going to be turned off.

It is no secret that several important board members are huge basketball fans. 

2 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Other schools: "Give the guys a second chance and make them do some community service."

SLU: "Expulsion, 2 year suspensions. Absolutely obliterate the future of four African American males and ensure that they publicly carry this baggage for the rest of their lives."

majerus mojo likes this

12 minutes ago, willie said:

It is no secret that several important board members are huge basketball fans. 

Wouldn't SLU be in some major sh it  if board members who are not part of the title IX process influenced a decision/appeal. I'm not trying to be smart, just trying to understand it all

2 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Wouldn't SLU be in some major sh it  if board members who are not part of the title IX process influenced a decision/appeal. I'm not trying to be smart, just trying to understand it all

Not if they had the authority to do so. You don’t have to question the findings to still question the punishment.

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Again.  How do we know for sure the fourth player is Goodwin?  And why was he allowed to play all year and the other three not?

Primate messages are welcomed.

Nobody on this board has a verified answer that he is the fourth. There was a tweet that supposedly had his name in with the other three along with a couple of other players. That’s the best I’ve gotten out of anyone. Maybe it’s common knowledge on campus and that’s just spread throughout the billiken community. That’s the best I’ve heard or got.

22 hours ago, slufan13 said:

It must simply be the process used by SLU, but I don't understand what role Maureen Holland really plays?  Investigates and make recommendations to Katherine Weathers? I get that investigators may want to be separate from the hearing officer but why hire outside counsel when the decision stays local?  And with only 1 person as opposed to a committee? 

Wonder if Maureen Holland made a recommendation?  Have to hope that she recommended "time served" based upon her investigations around the country and that Katherine Weathers disregarded this and threw the book at the four.

Does anyone know what they are being punished for? Sexual assault, posting a video, sex on campus, group sex?

seems like the Title IX should be limited to sexual assault. All of the others are school policies and people other than Kratky’s could be on the panel. 

Save us Kent Porterfield. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Does anyone know what they are being punished for? Sexual assault, posting a video, sex on campus, group sex?

seems like the Title IX should be limited to sexual assault. All of the others are school policies and people other than Kratky’s could be on the panel. 

Guilty of being black men

16 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

It must simply be the process used by SLU, but I don't understand what role Maureen Holland really plays?  Investigates and make recommendations to Katherine Weathers? I get that investigators may want to be separate from the hearing officer but why hire outside counsel when the decision stays local?  And with only 1 person as opposed to a committee? 

Wonder if Maureen Holland made a recommendation?  Have to hope that she recommended "time served" based upon her investigations around the country and that Katherine Weathers disregarded this and threw the book at the four.

My guess is they adopted her recommendation after having a hearing and meted out the punishments she suggested.  Two reasons:  1)  They had to pay her a boatload of $$$ to investigate and provide a recommendation.  Why would they cast it aside and not follow it.  If they didn't follow it, it would put them in the position of having to explain why to the losing side at a civil trial. 2)  Someone stated that the penalty was already known at the Richmond game.  To me, the likely reason the penalty was known was because that is what Holland recommended.

23 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

The only thing I can think of is posting the video, but if it was only taken by one player (the one who got expelled), then I have absolutely no idea why the other three players got railroaded.