Uncle Tony

slufanskip

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

At least one semi prominent African-American on campus has endorsed Tony's call for protest on campus.  

That is all fine and dandy, and I hope that said person voices their concern(s) with the administration and if they feel strongly about help organize some type of formal protest or action. 

My discomfort with Tony remains. My sense, based on reading his tweets is that he is leaning on issues of social justice not because he sincerely believes in their end, but because he sees them as an opportunity to prop up his own cause which in this case is a basketball team with all of its players. 

Of course, 'my sense' is not a scientific threshold and there is no way to prove or disprove Tony's beliefs. He may very well actually and sincerely feel so strongly about Black Lives Matter and feel so fervently that Black History Month is an ideal time to reverse the punishment...but I don't believe that is the case.

rgbilliken and Schasz like this

15 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

That is all fine and dandy, and I hope that said person voices their concern(s) with the administration and if they feel strongly about help organize some type of formal protest or action. 

My discomfort with Tony remains. My sense, based on reading his tweets is that he is leaning on issues of social justice not because he sincerely believes in their end, but because he sees them as an opportunity to prop up his own cause which in this case is a basketball team with all of its players. 

Of course, 'my sense' is not a scientific threshold and there is no way to prove or disprove Tony's beliefs. He may very well actually and sincerely feel so strongly about Black Lives Matter and feel so fervently that Black History Month is an ideal time to reverse the punishment...but I don't believe that is the case.

+1 That's also been unease about some people on this board playing the race card.

7 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

So is there some kind of test you have to take before you can try to rally potential allies to address an injustice that is occurring? 

I don't see Tony trying to prop up a cause by leveraging BLM and Black History Month. What I see is someone trying to attract the attention of potential allies to a case of injustice. You even admitted you think race has played a part in this.  

30 minutes ago, brianstl said:

So is there some kind of test you have to take before you can try to rally potential allies to address an injustice that is occurring? 

I don't see Tony trying to prop up a cause by leveraging BLM and Black History Month. What I see is someone trying to attract the attention of potential allies to a case of injustice. You even admitted you think race has played a part in this.  

There is not test that you have to take to rally potential allies.

Yes, I admitted it because I look at the the statistics analyzed in an article from The Atlantic and it does appear that racism, on the whole, does play a role in allegations of sexual assault. I simply ask myself this question: What is Tony's end goal? Then, I go to this twitter feed and find my answer in his first ever tweet:

Never Thought I would see the day. I am setting up a Twitter Acccount because I am mad at Fred Pestello, the President at Saint Louis University. He needs to make a decision and let he suspended players play. From what I have heard, they are completely innocent!! @SLUPresident

Then I think to myself: "Ah, ok, he wants the players to play", and the words he is using are tools toward this end. 

Look, I am less interested in proving whether Tony Murkens is a BLM sympathizer or not. I am more interested in saying "Hey, it appears that we have a good case that the decision(s) by the administration have not been good ones on multiple fronts and I hope and wish this is being taken up in a serious manner rather than by a provocateur on twitter who seems interested in bringing in race for his own benefit rather than for true ideological conviction".

21 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

There is not test that you have to take to rally potential allies.

Yes, I admitted it because I look at the the statistics analyzed in an article from The Atlantic and it does appear that racism, on the whole, does play a role in allegations of sexual assault. I simply ask myself this question: What is Tony's end goal? Then, I go to this twitter feed and find my answer in his first ever tweet:

Never Thought I would see the day. I am setting up a Twitter Acccount because I am mad at Fred Pestello, the President at Saint Louis University. He needs to make a decision and let he suspended players play. From what I have heard, they are completely innocent!! @SLUPresident

Then I think to myself: "Ah, ok, he wants the players to play", and the words he is using are tools toward this end. 

Look, I am less interested in proving whether Tony Murkens is a BLM sympathizer or not. I am more interested in saying "Hey, it appears that we have a good case that the decision(s) by the administration have not been good ones on multiple fronts and I hope and wish this is being taken up in a serious manner rather than by a provocateur on twitter who seems interested in bringing in race for his own benefit rather than for true ideological conviction".

If you think there is a miscarriage of justice here, shouldn't letting the players play be your end goal?

I, also, don't understand why Tony's ideological convictions or if he is a traditional BLM supporter even matter here. It isn't like he is trying to trick people who back BLM into something that they wouldn't support if they were familiar with the facts of the case.  There is an injustice happening here and race is playing a major part in it.  Forgive me if I don't think someone playing a stupid character on Twitter trying to draw the attention of possible allies to the issue is harmful, dangerous or disrespectful.  

11 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Pretty sure the administration doesn’t expect each and every SLU alum/supporter to be some sort of Rhodes Scholar. Imagine the myriad of fan responses if we were, say, a SEC school. Tony is just a guy. Don’t confuse him for our collective mouthpiece 

It is pretty clear that don't expect it of everyone in the administration, too.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Brian, it's mostly a Dialectical Reflective Theory test. Murkens is trying to appropriate truth coming out of the BLM movement and the larger Black History Month atmosphere to counter Fred Pestello's distorted world view and perception of reality. It's actually brilliant. I don't know Tony, but I'd like to buy him a beer. 

2 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

I am more interested in saying "Hey, it appears that we have a good case that the decision(s) by the administration have not been good ones on multiple fronts and I hope and wish this is being taken up in a serious manner rather than by a provocateur on twitter who seems interested in bringing in race for his own benefit rather than for true ideological conviction".

There are a lot of people in the main thread about the situation calling the school out for racism and saying BLM should rally who had negative things to say when BLM was on campus a couple years ago, resulting in the Clock Tower Accords. Tony is not unique. It's hypocritical and opportunistic, but not surprising.

William Iken likes this

If the guy doing Tony on Twitter and others on here felt that way at the time, so what?  These are two different situations and this is obviously a case that BLM should care about.  Should anyone really give a sht about how much respect a guy like Tony gave BLM during the Clock Tower protest? The futures of four young men are being terribly and possibly irreversibly damaged.  

I wasn't one of those guys and I consistently defended Pestello on how he handled the Clock Tower issue.  It doesn't matter if I was right or wrong then.  The only thing that should matter to those who make up BLM is the future of four young black men who are being falsely labeled sexual predators.  Everyone should push their egos, their need for confirmation and any hurt feelings to the side.

I have little doubt Tony's intentions with BLM are not genuine, but who cares. Rarely have I seen race/gender/sexual orientation cards pulled when the intentions genuine, intelligent or well thought out. People play "cards" all the time for much less. Hell, this whole thing is because the lady's are pulling the "sexual assault" card. The racism perspective is real in this instance (IMO) and I'm very surprised this hasn't taken a more prominent role in the media.

brianstl likes this

Tony's true intentions are irrelevant to me. My biggest worry (and SLU's biggest hope) is that people will just eventually give up and stop caring about this, particularly on public platforms such as Twitter, chat forums, and ultimately in the media. Yes, as crazy at that sounds, this chat forum has actually influenced some of SLU's decisions the past few weeks.

As long as people keep pushing and keep asking questions (whether some of those questions and intentions are misguided or not) at least the dialogue lives on. If and when the truth  is revealed, when we  finally see how bad SLU screwed this thing up, no one will remember what Tony tweeted on February 1, 2018.

• 1 month later...