OT: Mike Shanahan

Billboy1

One of the leaders of the sports community (mid '80s to mid 90s), one of the guys who convinced Fr. Biondi to not build SLU''s own on-campus arena but to remain a tenant of Kiel for the good of the City and that SLU would be rewarded later... serious question - Did Shanahan and the rest of Civic Progress ever gets their checkbooks out later?  Or did we have to rely upon us buying bricks, SLU's reliable corporate sponsors, Tony Novelly and then Dr. C?

6 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

One of the leaders of the sports community (mid '80s to mid 90s), one of the guys who convinced Fr. Biondi to not build SLU''s own on-campus arena but to remain a tenant of Kiel for the good of the City and that SLU would be rewarded later... serious question - Did Shanahan and the rest of Civic Progress ever gets their checkbooks out later?  Or did we have to rely upon us buying bricks, SLU's reliable corporate sponsors, Tony Novelly and then Dr. C?

I don't know details but Brian Kunderman did tweet that Shanahan donated millions to SLU and would buy the student tickets whenever SLU hosted an NCAA soccer game so students could go for free. 

Mike Sr. was a great man. My dad was lucky enough to have the opportunity to work with Mike and the Blues organization during the late 80s/early 90s. I was lucky enough to be the beneficiary of this and was able to do and see some pretty cool things with the Blues when I was a kid. I remember my dad always talking about how much respect he had for Mike Sr. and how he would do anything for anyone. He will be missed!

10 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Mike Shanahan was not part of the people running Kiel Center and was nothing more than a figure head with the Blues at that point.  He had no stake in Kiel Center.  He wasn't a leader selling Biondi on not building an on campus arena.  He wasn't even a member of Civic Progress.  That has always been part of the problem with Civic Progress.  No matter how successful guys like Shanahan and Novelly were the never could get a seat at the table with Civic Progress.   A bunch of people that have sold out St Louis have been members.  Hell, Kroenke was a member for years.

Thanks.

You're right about Mike not having a stake at Kiel Center, etc.  In fact, I would suggest that a majority of St. Louis sports fans would have told you in the late 1980's and early 1990's that Mike owned the Blues.  Instead, he was, as you say, the "figure head" or the face of the Blues who no doubt had some money in his pocket but who was certainly not the owner of the Blues, Kiel Center, etc.  At the same time, he was the face of the Blues, he spoke for the Blues, he advocated for the best interests of the Blues and it was in the best interest of the Blues and the City to have another tenant in Kiel -- that tenant being SLU.  To hear Fr. Biondi talk in the 1980's/1990's, you would have thought that he had already collected the money for SLU's eventual on-campus facility -- which in reality, he didn't.  Then, while the plans for the new arena languished under Doug Woolard, when Bernie poked fun at the lack of funding/delays, when the building then started being scaled back, when offices were said to be cut out of the project, I wondered where the great city leaders where then.    If Mr. Shanahan helped to chair the early fundraising and personally donated to SLU, I say thank you.  As to the other civic leaders, I say shame on you.

15 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Thanks.

You're right about Mike not having a stake at Kiel Center, etc.  In fact, I would suggest that a majority of St. Louis sports fans would have told you in the late 1980's and early 1990's that Mike owned the Blues.  Instead, he was, as you say, the "figure head" or the face of the Blues who no doubt had some money in his pocket but who was certainly not the owner of the Blues, Kiel Center, etc.  At the same time, he was the face of the Blues, he spoke for the Blues, he advocated for the best interests of the Blues and it was in the best interest of the Blues and the City to have another tenant in Kiel -- that tenant being SLU.  To hear Fr. Biondi talk in the 1980's/1990's, you would have thought that he had already collected the money for SLU's eventual on-campus facility -- which in reality, he didn't.  Then, while the plans for the new arena languished under Doug Woolard, when Bernie poked fun at the lack of funding/delays, when the building then started being scaled back, when offices were said to be cut out of the project, I wondered where the great city leaders where then.    If Mr. Shanahan helped to chair the early fundraising and personally donated to SLU, I say thank you.  As to the other civic leaders, I say shame on you.

It is true he did many great things in his life.

Unfortunately the twelve Federal indictments he had really disappointed me.

He was someone I looked up to as a great Saint Louisan and businessman.

Unfortunately when the Federal indictments came down he was knocked off the pedestal I had put him up on.

I don't think he is an example you would want SLU grads to emulate after the Federal indictments. Sans the indictments - yes. Unfortunality in totality - no.

Fair and balanced.

You would think that using someone's death to troll this forum would be grounds for being banned but I won't hold my breath...

What's even more sad/pathetic  is that an actual adult spends his life on an anonymous chat forum trying to piss people off. Did someone say this guy works at Centene? If so, I have an upcoming meeting with Michael Neidorff. I'd be happy to let him know that one of his employees spends his work days trolling SLU fans.

Speaking of indictments, I bet if the feds busted through Tilkowsky's mom's front door and raided her basement where he lives, they would find all sorts of illegal pics and videos.

billikenfan05 likes this

1 hour ago, Tilkowsky said:

It is true he did many great things in his life.

Unfortunately the twelve Federal indictments he had really disappointed me.

He was someone I looked up to as a great Saint Louisan and businessman.

Unfortunately when the Federal indictments came down he was knocked off the pedestal I had put him up on.

I don't think he is an example you would want SLU grads to emulate after the Federal indictments. Sans the indictments - yes. Unfortunality in totality - no.

Fair and balanced.

you. are. the. worst.

23 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

You would think that using someone's death to troll this forum would be grounds for being banned but I won't hold my breath...

What's even more sad/pathetic  is that an actual adult spends his life on an anonymous chat forum trying to piss people off. Did someone say this guy works at Centene? If so, I have an upcoming meeting with Michael Neidorff. I'd be happy to let him know that one of his employees spends his work days trolling SLU fans.

Speaking of indictments, I bet if the feds busted through Tilkowsky's mom's front door and raided her basement where he lives, they would find all sorts of illegal pics and videos.

Go ahead and tell Michael.

Come back here and let us know how it goes.

On 1/16/2018 at 5:13 PM, Clock_Tower said:

Thanks.

-last night I looked at the named donors etched in the glass overlooking the pavilion  and Mr. Shanahan's name is in big type which I believe indicates a gift of $1mil or more to the arena fund, I don't know if he was involved in getting others to donate, but he wrote a big check and I thank him for that 

26 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-last night I looked at the named donors etched in the glass overlooking the pavilion  and Mr. Shanahan's name is in big type which I believe indicates a gift of $1mil or more to the arena fund, I don't know if he was involved in getting others to donate, but he wrote a big check and I thank him for that 

He was the original head of the fund raising committee. I believe he got Jack Taylor and some other St. Louis bigwigs to give some money.{not all that much considering their wealth}. I also remember his gift as 1 million. 

57 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Go ahead and tell Michael.

Come back here and let us know how it goes.

Do you actually think I would waste one ounce of breath discussing one of his low-level employees who lives in his mom's basement and trolls a SLU chat forum (I wouldn't)?

23 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Do you actually think I would waste one ounce of breath discussing one of his low-level employees who lives in his mom's basement and trolls a SLU chat forum (I wouldn't)?

I am not the one who said that I knew him and was going to do something about it.

You did.