Sunday PD

Billboy1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Billboy1 said:

Once again great job.  MU gets three articles on the first two pages and they lost. SLU found on page 6 after a tough and good win.

It’s not the job of the local paper to make SLU relevant. It is SLU’s job to make its program relevant. 

The university can’t even get its students excited about basketball, and we expect others to care? Come on.

15 minutes ago, Billboy1 said:

Once again great job.  MU gets three articles on the first two pages and they lost. SLU found on page 6 after a tough and good win.

The Missouri game was earlier in the day, which enables an earlier deadline and better placement/coverage vs. a game ending at 10 pm...

Plus 3-11 Richmond isn’t exactly Florida, lot more people attending the latter...

Plus the Mizzou game finished with a blocked 3 resulting in a last-second winning basket.

Plus with the way SLU has handled the situation with the media (“No comment”), they dont deserve any favors...

And with the suspensions, SLU has watered down the entertainment dollar being paid by some of its most ardent supporters.

cgeldmacher likes this

1 hour ago, 615Billiken said:

It’s not the job of the local paper to make SLU relevant. It is SLU’s job to make its program relevant. 

The university can’t even get its students excited about basketball, and we expect others to care? Come on.

Front pages are for high schoolers.

David King likes this

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

The Missouri game was earlier in the day, which enables an earlier deadline and better placement/coverage vs. a game ending at 10 pm...

Plus 3-11 Richmond isn’t exactly Florida, lot more people attending the latter...

Plus the Mizzou game finished with a blocked 3 resulting in a last-second winning basket.

Plus with the way SLU has handled the situation with the media (“No comment”), they dont deserve any favors...

And with the suspensions, SLU has watered down the entertainment dollar being paid by some of its most ardent supporters.

They'd welcome you at Tiger Talk.

Seriously, which of the following is more reasonable:

1) The PD has a vendetta against SLU and even though they could get clicks and subscriptions by writing about SLU basketball they choose not to.

2) SLU basketball just doesn’t get that many clicks to warrant the PD devoting more attention to it and thus as a business, the PD allocates more resources to cover the P5 team in the state that gets them more readership.

We talk about how Pestello and company just don’t care about athletics and SLU has so much potential but doesn’t do anything to live up to it yet we get our panties in a bunch when people outside see us the same way and don’t give us attention.

As much as we have the potential to be a Marquette, Creighton, Xavier, etc., we have not figured out how to be.  As much as we have the potential to be the city’s flagship D1 basketball program in a city without pro ball, we have not figured out how to be.

P5 teams, even in down years and in negative circumstances, get attention because of sheer numbers. They have many more alums and non-alum fans who are from the state. 

As much potential as we have, as it stands, we are a mediocre team with a mediocre history in a mediocre conference whose teams are having a mediocre-to-bad year. Right now is not the time to cry about coverage.

I saw the sports page today and quickly paged through to find our article.  We were buried on page 6 with no picture and a non bold print headline.  IL got a picture and a bold headline next to us.  I guess there were no pictures available to the Post given that our arena is 5 minutes away and the internet works at the same rate at least for now.  I get that MU playing Florida is bigger event then us playing the Spiders but is MU a bigger deal then the Blues - in StL?  I guess so.   Heck VA beating UNC got better coverage and we all know the the metro area is chock full of VA and UNC grads - who knew.  This really a chicken or egg thing with the Post - does the Post make SLU irrelevant because of the weak coverage or does SLU make the Post make us irrelevant?  I think the two kind of go hand in hand.  If you don't get coverage you won't be on people's minds and if you are on people's minds you will get more coverage.  Anybody who thinks the fact that most of the top writers at the Post are alums of MU doesn't have an impact on this situation then they are kidding themselves.  We get one of them to write a small story during the holidays on one of our players and then they can feel as if they have clean hands.  I quit buying the Post about 2 years ago for a number of reasons but I do still take the weekend - only way to get the ads - but since I get it on Saturday and Sunday I do get an online access membership so I do look at it from time to time. They do very little to ever make me reconsider the decision.

7 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Did you see the way they lost? I will give up front page and 2 articles when that happens any day. The continuous stench of loser keeps coming out of Boone County. Here is another chapter.

Yes I understand how they lost but I bet had they lost by 10 the same coverage would have taken place - different pix probably.  This type of coverage does not hurt MU - they get the "almost beat a great team" attaboy.

14 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Dude I’m not a proponent of MIzzou basketball. I want them to lose and SLU to be the king of the city.

I’m just saying that we have one thread where we are by and large talking about the ineptness of the administration and Athletic Dept. to make SLU a strong athletic program, but then we have threads complaining about how we don’t get coverage. It seems to me like we have to become relevant first before we get coverage. That doesn’t meant I don’t want the coverage. It just means I think we have to solve our problems first and then it will come.

VeniceMenace likes this

2 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Dude I’m not a proponent of SLU basketball. I want them to lose and SLU to be the king of the city.

I’m just saying that we have one thread where we are by and large talking about the ineptness of the administration and Athletic Dept. to make SLU a strong athletic program, but then we have threads complaining about how we don’t get coverage. It seems to me like we have to become relevant first before we get coverage. That doesn’t meant I don’t want the coverage. It just means I think we have to solve our problems first and then it will come.

These are 2 different things.  The Admin matter is an internal SLU thing the coverage of the program is another.  When MU was floundering with Kim Anderson there they still got the coverage.  This discussion about the Post is honestly a long standing systemic issue and what is being posted here is just a long standing festering wound.  If this makes you feel better, our flagship radio station also gives more air time to MU then SLU - sorry the media in StL as a whole has not really given us fair coverage for a long time.  I do agree we need to get better as a program for a long time but not for the media to change their behavior - I just don't see that happening - but for us.

37 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Dude I’m not a proponent of MIzzou basketball. I want them to lose and SLU to be the king of the city.

I just love that someone who’s been in St. Louis and following SLU  for all of a year is telling us what to think about the local news coverage. 

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I just love that someone who’s been in St. Louis and following SLU  for all of a year is telling us what to think about the local news coverage. 

I've told you you can have all the St. Louis cred you want. I'm not interested in being Mr. Billiken and Mr. St. Louis 2018.

-Yes, you have been in St. Louis longer

-Yes, you have spent more time at SLU than I have.

-Yes, you know more about the administration than I do

-Yes, you know more about media coverage than I do

I'm a fan and recent SLU student who comes  to discuss and share my opinion on things SLU basketball based on my experience and perceptions. You are free to think differently if your experience is different. Don't let me ruin your Billikens.com experience. 

2 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

I've told you you can have all the St. Louis cred you want. I'm not interested in being Mr. Billiken and Mr. St. Louis 2018.

I come here to discuss and share my opinion on things SLU basketball based on my experience and perceptions. You are free to think differently if your experience is different. Don't let me ruin your Billikens.com experience. 

You’re presenting your opinion as fact which it isn’t. You weren’t here when we were the flagship and not getting coverage. Keep in mind that SLU’s beat writer has always been a part time gig even when we were the best team in the state and Mizzou’s beat writer is full time even when they sucked.

1 hour ago, 615Billiken said:

Seriously, which of the following is more reasonable:

1) The PD has a vendetta against SLU and even though they could get clicks and subscriptions by writing about SLU basketball they choose not to.

2) SLU basketball just doesn’t get that many clicks to warrant the PD devoting more attention to it and thus as a business, the PD allocates more resources to cover the P5 team in the state that gets them more readership.

We talk about how Pestello and company just don’t care about athletics and SLU has so much potential but doesn’t do anything to live up to it yet we get our panties in a bunch when people outside see us the same way and don’t give us attention.

As much as we have the potential to be a Marquette, Creighton, Xavier, etc., we have not figured out how to be.  As much as we have the potential to be the city’s flagship D1 basketball program in a city without pro ball, we have not figured out how to be.

P5 teams, even in down years and in negative circumstances, get attention because of sheer numbers. They have many more alums and non-alum fans who are from the state. 

As much potential as we have, as it stands, we are a mediocre team with a mediocre history in a mediocre conference whose teams are having a mediocre-to-bad year. Right now is not the time to cry about coverage.

The Post Dispatch is run by Mizzou alums, particularly the sports section. Nobody is saying they have a vendetta against SLU; they just have an inherent bias towards thinking Mizzou athletics are more interesting/important than they actually are. People in St. Louis care more about SLU than you’re suggesting, but that fandom can be fleeting. Things like good PD coverage are vital to keeping slu at top of mind for the local sports fan.

13 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

I'm a fan and recent SLU student who comes  to discuss and share my opinion on things SLU basketball based on my experience and perceptions. You are free to think differently if your experience is different. Don't let me ruin your Billikens.com experience. 

thats pretty obvious you've done nothing to prove you care about our billikens since showing up at billikens.com