New Soccer Coach???

Billy Ken

2 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

I think lack of a plan across the whole department is the problem why the place is in the position it is as of today. Unless a big donor says hire this guy Mr. AD and tells him what to do history is doomed to repeat itself is my fear. Question is who is available at this point that isn't older or interested? Maybe a MLS assistant? That's why it's gotta be an assistant coach is my opinion. 

And Fred and the Board of Trustees gave May a 5 year contract extension! Mind boggling. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

And Fred and the Board of Trustees gave May a 5 year contract extension! Mind boggling. 

The path of least resistance has been the SLU athletics calling card since I can remember. "May is here, he knows how to do a mediocre job, whatever lets keep him. It would be hard to hire someone else." Its like Eeyore is running the school. It was the same reason that Jim Crews was hired full time. Soderberg was hired the same way. 

The Majerus hire was the only hire ever that was a "Wow. They took their dick out and waved it around" move, and that was set in motion by Chaifetz.

7 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

The job isn't that good anymore.

The roster is devoid of talent.

No smart person picks a stock based upon past performance. Current roster means nothing. It’s all about the future of the program. Every coach wants their own guys. My concern is that administration support, or lack thereof, is the problem. 

QUAILMAN likes this

13 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

No smart person picks a stock based upon past performance. Current roster means nothing. It’s all about the future of the program. Every coach wants their own guys. My concern is that administration support, or lack thereof, is the problem. 

Very well said. I can say one of the candidates who turned the job down said it wasn't salary. Plus the people you work with in the building makes or breaks any job. I'm starting to think McGinty did a lot better of a job with what he was given. Not saying I agreed with his coaching style but just saying it wasn't all his fault.

5 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Very well said. I can say one of the candidates who turned the job down said it wasn't salary. Plus the people you work with in the building makes or breaks any job. I'm starting to think McGinty did a lot better of a job with what he was given. Not saying I agreed with his coaching style but just saying it wasn't all his fault.

Not sure I'd go that far.  Instead, good coaches are able to make their team exceed expectations and play better as a team than they are as individual talent. Good coaches also can and do bring in talent better than the program deserves.  This year's win over Stanford was shocking good!  but McGinty's record in the A10 these past 6 years shows an underperforming team.  Now, would McGinty have done better with more support of the program (from facilities to assistant coach budget to travel budget, etc. ?  Sure.  But SLU needs to get a good, young soccer mind who can turn this program into a winner again and bring excitement.  No excitement under Donnigan and McGinty.  Then, SLU will be faced with whether or not they can keep this coach, or attract other good coaches to sustain the success, without making a real and serious commitment to the soccer program. 

We all know the commitment to the program is a problem and that top, big names are not all that interested based upon the salary offered.  Now, if SLU doubles the salary offered and throws money at a bigger name, then maybe.  But SLU is way past its time to have a successful capital campaign for all of its sports programs.  When highschool facilities are equal or superior (I am thinking baseball, softball, volleyball, men's & women's soccer) then there is a problem.  For instance, high school aged soccer kids (club team and high school team) can and do practice on both grass and artificial turf depending upon the weather and the upcoming matches.  

Fr. Biondi promised a Top 50 program but held off delivering a corresponding "on campus" arena (with the help of Civic Progress which is why we rented w Kiel all those years) until after we fell down to the A10, after Civic Progress disappeared and after we went cheap on our head coach (Brad).  Had it not been for Dr. C and Novelly, we still would not have the facilities and RM would not have been our coach.  With the other sports, we got lucky with our volleyball coach for awhile but couldn't keep the success after her retirement.  We have a great baseball coach but he is where I hope our soccer coach will soon be -- winning on his own and without real administrative commitment and wondering how long we can keep him.  And if not, we go back to mediocrity like we did with volleyball.  A real capital campaign needs to happen.  Our facilities need upgrading across the board, our sports need to be fully funded from scholarship perspectives, our teams need to travel at least once a year by charter flight to the East Coast/A10 venues.  If this is done, even I can hire good head coaches as positions become available ... and conferences like the Big East will change their views on SLU as I suggest we are no longer on their radar.

Billy Ken and kappy96 like this

4 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Not sure I'd go that far.  Instead, good coaches are able to make their team exceed expectations and play better as a team than they are as individual talent. Good coaches also can and do bring in talent better than the program deserves.  This year's win over Stanford was shocking good!  but McGinty's record in the A10 these past 6 years shows an underperforming team.  Now, would McGinty have done better with more support of the program (from facilities to assistant coach budget to travel budget, etc. ?  Sure.  But SLU needs to get a good, young soccer mind who can turn this program into a winner again and bring excitement.  No excitement under Donnigan and McGinty.  Then, SLU will be faced with whether or not they can keep this coach, or attract other good coaches to sustain the success, without making a real and serious commitment to the soccer program. 

We all know the commitment to the program is a problem and that top, big names are not all that interested based upon the salary offered.  Now, if SLU doubles the salary offered and throws money at a bigger name, then maybe.  But SLU is way past its time to have a successful capital campaign for all of its sports programs.  When highschool facilities are equal or superior (I am thinking baseball, softball, volleyball, men's & women's soccer) then there is a problem.  For instance, high school aged soccer kids (club team and high school team) can and do practice on both grass and artificial turf depending upon the weather and the upcoming matches.  

Fr. Biondi promised a Top 50 program but held off delivering a corresponding "on campus" arena (with the help of Civic Progress which is why we rented w Kiel all those years) until after we fell down to the A10, after Civic Progress disappeared and after we went cheap on our head coach (Brad).  Had it not been for Dr. C and Novelly, we still would not have the facilities and RM would not have been our coach.  With the other sports, we got lucky with our volleyball coach for awhile but couldn't keep the success after her retirement.  We have a great baseball coach but he is where I hope our soccer coach will soon be -- winning on his own and without real administrative commitment and wondering how long we can keep him.  And if not, we go back to mediocrity like we did with volleyball.  A real capital campaign needs to happen.  Our facilities need upgrading across the board, our sports need to be fully funded from scholarship perspectives, our teams need to travel at least once a year by charter flight to the East Coast/A10 venues.  If this is done, even I can hire good head coaches as positions become available ... and conferences like the Big East will change their views on SLU as I suggest we are no longer on their radar.

Sums it up. 

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

TrollPants accepted the job?  The self-proclaimed most knowledgeable soccer authority in the US, will be the Bills next coach. Awesome!

Sorry.  Trollpants failed the background test.  There is a reason the soccer program let him go as student manager.