GDT - Can Bills get over hump vs. Camels

billikenbill

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Taj. Well this year has been reality check on our hopes with all the high recruits we've suddenly accumulated. I do think we will be dancing JG/AH era's junior and senior year. Next year should be very competitive but will probably be closer to what I expected this year. No matter what I'm in for following as long as these two are here.

First half was not pretty and we were down at the half, the second half was a lot better and we won. Their little guy #3 could hit a 3 pointer from just about anywhere up to mid court. Amazing guy. Going into the second half of the game I could not believe we could beat them, but we did. The kids put out a very nice second half for us, very physical and not pretty but who cares. A win is a win. Now lets go get SEMO.

You almost get the sense the last several games that the entire team is tentative at the start of the game for fear of getting into early foul trouble. Then, when they realize they have made it through the first 12 or so minutes without foul trouble, the intensity and aggression on D goes to a different level. Imagine if we had the bodies to play with that same reckless abandon for 40 minutes. Also, I can't say enough about the freshmen. It's going to be fun watching them develop. They already provide us with the most consistent effort.

#freethe3 #FireFred

Just now, SouthSide_Billiken said:

You almost get the sense the last several games that the entire team is tentative at the start of the game. Then, when they realize they have made it through the first 12 or so minutes without foul trouble, the intensity and aggression on D goes to a different level. Imagine if we had the bodies to play with that same reckless abandon for 40 minutes. Also, I can't say enough about the freshmen. It's going to be fun watching them develop. They already provide us with the most consistent effort.

#freethe3 #FireFred

French and Goodwin are going to make headlines before they are done........

It seems to me that when Ford has them play a more aggressive defensive like even a passive press the team plays more assertive and their offense flows much better.  I wonder why he does not start the game like that?  I agree the foul trouble concern may be part of it but the players have to learn how to play this way without fouling.  Of course that also depends if the refs are going to let them play or call a bunch of ticky tack fouls.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

It seems to me that when Ford has them play a more aggressive defensive like even a passive press the team plays more assertive and their offense flows much better.  I wonder why he does not start the game like that?  I agree the foul trouble concern may be part of it but the players have to learn how to play this way without fouling.  Of course that also depends if the refs are going to let them play or call a bunch of ticky tack fouls.

Could it have something to do with fatigue do to the short bench and the amount of minutes these guys have to play?

Coach Ford played mostly six players last night.

Goodwin is fun to watch playing that defense he creates a lot of havoc.

8 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Could it have something to do with fatigue do to the short bench and the amount of minutes these guys have to play?

Coach Ford played mostly six players last night.

Goodwin is fun to watch playing that defense he creates a lot of havoc.

I don't think so because you have to expend so much more energy to overcome a big lead by your opponent that you may be better off simply not getting into that situation.  Expend a little more energy early on so you can conserve later when you have a safe lead.  This is why many comebacks fall short because a team simply runs out of gas trying to dig out of the hole. A passive press does not make you play at a frenetic pace.  Had the team not been so far behind after the first half you could have played Foreman and Anthony  a little longer.  Roby was not over taxed either.

10 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I don't think so because you have to expend so much more energy to overcome a big lead by your opponent that you may be better off simply not getting into that situation.  Expend a little more energy early on so you can conserve later when you have a safe lead.  This is why many comebacks fall short because a team simply runs out of gas trying to dig out of the hole. A passive press does not make you play at a frenetic pace.  Had the team not been so far behind after the first half you could have played Foreman and Anthony  a little longer.  Roby was not over taxed either.

Honestly, playing a zone is almost always less taxing than a man-to-man, even if you're pressing/trapping. You spend less time chasing people around, face fewer screens, and are generally able to be less reactive and more proactive in your movement. I would expect us to continue with the variety package of defenses, but hopefully zones make up a larger part of that moving forward, as we really only have three guys who are genuinely good and then two more who are pretty capable.

I am not saying anything about whether we play zones or not.  My point was simply that if we are bit more aggressive earlier in the game it may create a better offensive flow which seems to occur when we do it later in the game when we are trying to catch up.  You can still use a passive press and then switch to a zone.  In fact, Ford has talked about this exact thing in the post game interviews.