GDT: Seattle v. SLU

moytoy12

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I also was limited to listening.  They described really good defensive positioning for French.  Yeah, he shut him down.

They kept the big fella off balance with sporadic double teams but French did a great job defending him straight up.  If French defends and rebounds like this all year, the occasional double digit scoring game from him is gravy.

The main take away for me last night was the rebounding. 

The last few years I must have shouted a million times "just get the F$%#&@# BALL."  As the other team got offensive rebound after offensive rebound. 

The SuperSonics got a few offensive boards but not enough to make my head explode like in years past.

Some real positives from last night:

We won a game against a fair team with JG and DR making 4 of 24 (I have to take the stats someone mentioned above in this thread since the Missouri Post-Democrat could not find space in my paper to print the box score)  I would bet the farm that that does not happen again this year.

The aggressiveness  shown by our two Freshmen has not been seen in a Billiken team since I can't even remember when. Maybe since Brian C's senior year.  It was best demonstrated in a 2nd half sequence when pure desire provided 3 chances to score as we possessed  the ball for probably just a little shy of 1 and 1/2 minutes.

If Hines can play even close to how he played last night, he will be an asset off the bench all year,  He was under control the entire game as opposed to last year.

Winning w/o AD and J Bishop helping with any 3 pt shots gave hope for when (if) they are cleared to play.  Their ability to hit from beyond the arc will surely help open up the paint for HF, Bess and JG.

J Bess followed up his good play against H-S with an equally good game against a D1 team.  He looks like he will be a tremendous addition to the team this year.

Great halftime adjustment by the coaches to stop Hill after he had 15 pts in the 1st half. 

On the other hand;

DJ Foreman not providing the help I had anticipated.  Hopefully that is just some lingering rust from his year off and his hip surgery.  Same disappointment with Anthony.  Not sure we can expect any real offensive help from either in the 5 position.  One or both of them will have to show improvement because I expect HF to get in foul trouble in some games due to the aggressiveness he play with.

JJ will have to find a way to get open to provide some offense.

Overall takeaway------------a fun team to watch since they compete hard.  What a change from the Crews years.

2 hours ago, bauman said:

Some real positives from last night:

We won a game against a fair team with JG and DR making 4 of 24 (I have to take the stats someone mentioned above in this thread since the Missouri Post-Democrat could not find space in my paper to print the box score)  I would bet the farm that that does not happen again this year.

The aggressiveness  shown by our two Freshmen has not been seen in a Billiken team since I can't even remember when. Maybe since Brian C's senior year.  It was best demonstrated in a 2nd half sequence when pure desire provided 3 chances to score as we possessed  the ball for probably just a little shy of 1 and 1/2 minutes.

If Hines can play even close to how he played last night, he will be an asset off the bench all year,  He was under control the entire game as opposed to last year.

Winning w/o AD and J Bishop helping with any 3 pt shots gave hope for when (if) they are cleared to play.  Their ability to hit from beyond the arc will surely help open up the paint for HF, Bess and JG.

J Bess followed up his good play against H-S with an equally good game against a D1 team.  He looks like he will be a tremendous addition to the team this year.

Great halftime adjustment by the coaches to stop Hill after he had 15 pts in the 1st half. 

On the other hand;

DJ Foreman not providing the help I had anticipated.  Hopefully that is just some lingering rust from his year off and his hip surgery.  Same disappointment with Anthony.  Not sure we can expect any real offensive help from either in the 5 position.  One or both of them will have to show improvement because I expect HF to get in foul trouble in some games due to the aggressiveness he play with.

JJ will have to find a way to get open to provide some offense.

Overall takeaway------------a fun team to watch since they compete hard.  What a change from the Crews years.

Hines better be near as good the rest of the season if no Bishop and no Graves.  Without them and Henriquez the Bills are painfully thin.  If a couple of players get in foul trouble they will struggle to win.

6 hours ago, SShoe said:

He can definitely rebound though. It’ll get better for him. 

Getting welmer back would be a nice boost since he provides outside shooting and depth inside. Hopefully the rest of the team’s intensity rubs off on him. 

Adding henriquez and bishop would also be huge. 2 guys who can shoot it will fit in well. Glad they’re learning to play without though. 

a few of his TOs last night came after he made great effort to get ball only to step out or lose balance

MattyMo213 likes this

41 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Did anyone else get the vibe we were frustrating them defensively? We are a super aggressive team and that might have led to us getting fouled a lot. 

Also if our shooting is back to normal that was easily a 30 pt lead game 

i sat behind the Seattle bench... one player vented his frustration to the coach by saying "im the only one not scared to rebound down there".... they were frustrated yes

12 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

i sat behind the Seattle bench... one player vented his frustration to the coach by saying "im the only one not scared to rebound down there".... they were frustrated yes

I sat right behind Seattle’s bench as well. That Wisconsin transfer was their best player by far and his dad made sure everyone knew. By the way, they definitely have all-inclusive tickets because I didn’t get up once during the game and took down 8 Selects.  How those seats aren’t filled is beyond me. 

2 hours ago, SLU let the dogs out?! said:

I sat right behind Seattle’s bench as well. That Wisconsin transfer was their best player by far and his dad made sure everyone knew. By the way, they definitely have all-inclusive tickets because I didn’t get up once during the game and took down 8 Selects.  How those seats aren’t filled is beyond me. 

i hope you tipped that waiter

On 11/11/2017 at 1:06 AM, bauman said:

You gotta love that some of the players   (Bess, Johnson and French that I saw for sure) went over to the student section after the game high-fiveing students and obviously thanking them for their support.  Too bad the rest of the attendance sucked.  Student section full, even at the end;  rest of the arena 1/2 full at best!  Too bad so many season ticket holders missed a really good game with great effort by the entire team.  Even though the next game is against Rockhurst I hope more people attend.

Don't sleep completely on the Hawks of Rockhurst. Alex Hagan, a 6'7 Sr. rebounding machine from Lake St. Louis will battle on the glass and along with sharpshooter Eddie Muench they might keep it interesting for awhile. Hagan was out for the S. Illinois exhibition game, a 98-68 loss which was only a 3 pt. deficit at halftime.