Other games

brianstl

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Calling @STL Hoops Insider or @Coach314.  I'd like to give you guys the benefit of the doubt, but STLHI has one post since Monday and it is about our guys being tired for tonight.  Meanwhile Coach hasn't posted since 11/8.  Most of their more recent posts are only tangentially relevant to the Billikens.

I'm not of the mindset that you must post a lot here, always post positive things about the team, or be giddy about every Billiken win to post here.  I'm not even of the mindset that you necessarily have to be a Billiken fan to post here.  Opposing fans and basketball fans in general are welcome in my book as long as they aren't trolls.  However, I think ACE and moytoy12 have a valid argument here.   Your silence while Jordan Goodwin is playing/contributing with major minutes and Gordon signed his LOI is pretty telling given your flurry of posts when Mizzou hired Cuonzo and was inking various players.

Lol I am still around.  Sorry I haven't posted enough.  I have kids that I have coached in college that I have been spending time supporting and I support the local high school scene as well.  I watched the 1st game and listened to the 2nd half of  VA Tech game on the radio.   What ACE and Moytoy12 have...is to much time on their hands.  I have watched the same number of Mizzou games that I have SLU.  I have also watched Duke and Kansas St.  Going to watch a Div 2 game tomorrow lol. But I read posts daily.  Thanks for thinking about me.  Have a great night everyone.

Dan Muller benched Yarbrough in the first half of their game against Boise State, after playing him only 6 minutes.  Illinois State was down 46-22 at the time.  Milik finished with zero rebounds and one assist in 16 minutes.  Muller warned the team after their season opening loss against Florida Gulf Coast that any player who didn't play hard and compete defensively, wouldn't play.  Two games later Milik is already in the doghouse.

15 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I know many of you cast sideways glances at me (or worse) for "defending" STLHI and Coach314, but is it possible that they're a bit busier with involvement in high school hoops during the high school basketball season and thus don't post as much or pay as much attention to the board during that time compared to during the longer offseason?

I agree with defending Coach314 I like reading what he has to say but he is the opposite of STLHI, aka Vtime.

I see Vtime as the guy the that high school players say oh no that guy when they see he him..

Vtime is poison and I could care less what that jerk has to say.

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

I agree with defending Coach314 I like reading what he has to say but he is the opposite of STLHI, aka Vtime.

I see Vtime as the guy the that high school players say oh no that guy when they see he him..

Vtime is poison and I could care less what that jerk has to say.

Agreed (but ran out of "like" points today)

I have no problem with Coach 314 posting - people who post on here just have to remember that this not a Men's College Basketball Forum it is a Billiken Forum so when people take exception with posts about other schools especially ones that most on the board do not like then they have to expect a bit of blow back at times.

kenpom sucks. He thinks we're on par with UMASS, as well as teams like Purdue being better than Michigan State. I've always been skeptical of him since he released the rankings this year, but when we hardly went up after beating VT, but then fell a bunch after losing to Providence, I lost all care for whatever that mom's basement dwelling nerd says

3 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

The Dukes of Duquense lose to Robert Morris

A10 is going to be so weak. 

Thankfully Rhode Island won today.

It was clear 6 months ago with all the graduating seniors and kids transferring out that the A-10 was in a rebuilding year.  That's why I thought the top 144 prediction of 7 teams in the top 100 was laughable.

3 hours ago, MattyMo213 said:

kenpom sucks. He thinks we're on par with UMASS, as well as teams like Purdue being better than Michigan State. I've always been skeptical of him since he released the rankings this year, but when we hardly went up after beating VT, but then fell a bunch after losing to Providence, I lost all care for whatever that mom's basement dwelling nerd says

Will probably get more accurate after noncon kind of like Wiz's rankings. Just not a lot of games to base the info on.

Pomeroy is just applying statistics based on past performance (last year's for sure plus whatever else he does) + the results of the few valid games (Rockhurst does not count) we (us and the rest of A10) have played this year. The results are pretty bad for A10. As I mentioned before the Bills are the only team in A10 that has beaten a top 50 adversary so far. So the numbers say A10 is down and is heading down this year. I agree he will get more accurate the more games we (us and the rest of A10) play this year. 

MattyMo213 likes this

Pomeroy bases his ratings on opponent-adjusted offensive and defensive efficiencies.  Beating Virginia Tech and holding a highly efficient offense to such a dismal performance has improved our rating.  However, his system with limited number of games (3) still factors the "preseason" rating in highly.  Pomeroy's "preseason" are good enough to account for personnel changes (it aggregates individual projections of efficiency from player histories including transfers).  His system initially cannot adapt well for freshman to playing a lot of minutes or transfers with improved play.  It will adapt and more accurately rate the Billikens over the year as others have noted although I am wondering if his model gives proper weight to good rebounding teams (SLU fans have not had to worry about this bias in a while but my thoughts are that lowered offensive FG percentages with more offensive rebounds may look less efficient than equivalent points scored with fewer rebounds).

9 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

Pomeroy bases his ratings on opponent-adjusted offensive and defensive efficiencies.  Beating Virginia Tech and holding a highly efficient offense to such a dismal performance has improved our rating.  However, his system with limited number of games (3) still factors the "preseason" rating in highly.  Pomeroy's "preseason" are good enough to account for personnel changes (it aggregates individual projections of efficiency from player histories including transfers).  His system initially cannot adapt well for freshman to playing a lot of minutes or transfers with improved play.  It will adapt and more accurately rate the Billikens over the year as others have noted although I am wondering if his model gives proper weight to good rebounding teams (SLU fans have not had to worry about this bias in a while but my thoughts are that lowered offensive FG percentages with more offensive rebounds may look less efficient than equivalent points scored with fewer rebounds).

This is a reasonable explanation of what Pomeroy does. However, if and when we get back the missing players we will have to play a number of additional games for his system to place us correctly since we would be adding significant offensive capacity mid way in the season. The rankings for SLU are bound to be off for some time still.